Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
I prefer 26ga, but then again, these days I'm pretty much exclusively using dual coil tanks. So 26ga strikes a nice balance between coil mass/heat flux/power levels, RTA build deck size constraints, and my resistance targets. 24ga just isn't very practical for my applications, and since I build fresh coils for every tank several times a week, twisted 28ga is more of a PITA than it's worth.

Reactions: GeorgeS

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I like 24g because the coil is sturdy and will survive for many months without the need for a recoil. I'm lazy. Well, I'm not lazy. I just don't have the time to have to recoil on a short time span. I want to recoil when I feel like not because the coil became distorted during a rewick.

What I can say is that after 5 months of 24/7 use (yep, I swear. I only have one daily rta) the resistance remained exactly the same as the day I built it. I think that pretty much puts to rest if Ti coils are loosing any material over time.

By my calculations, that coil must have gone through more than 45.000 heat/cold cycles and it retained it's original resistance in the 0, hundreds digits (0.26 Ohms).

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk

Deleted post

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
I prefer 26ga as well. However, I only re-Coil @ every 3-4 weeks. However, I do have 5 RTA's in Ti TC Rotation so that frequency is a tad skewed to be used as an accurate comparative.
I would like to try some 24ga in one of the Bellus Tanks (Post-hole capturing Design) just to see what's up. And,,, I'm a tinkerer somewhat and always wondering if there is a Bigger & Better thing. Just can't let things be I suppose... :D

I got about 30m left of 28ga from when first started w/Ti so thinking about twistin' it up just to use it and test the waters on twisted Flavor vs. single wire Coils.

Awesome Day to All! Enjoy & Vape On :thumb:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I prefer 24g Ti thanks to @tchavei 's guidance way back. Like Tony I'm lazy, not really, and I like the "set it and forget" durability of 24g Ti. Somewhere between 2.75-3.0mm 6-8wraps seem to really perform great. Dryburning at low wattage is not only easy but completely safe as well imo.
Tony probably holds the world record for Ti durability @ 5 months on a single coil in an everyday vape. Maybe I hold second place at 4 months but I tore mine out for the same reason, not because I had to but because I felt like it. 24g Ti is the bees knees for TC vaping imo but I am playing with NiFe52 too.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I did seem to have a craving for Oreo cookies after vaping.

Duane
Hey Duane I tried the 6 wrap coil and I like it so much I am gradually changing over to that and the Unk seems like the best Ti for the job. I'm really enjoying the 6 wrap 26awg but I have a yearning to try a Uwell Crown MVS doesn't have any extra SS coil heads in stock right now but I thought maybe that would be my way of trying SS for the smell of it. I'm pretty sold on Ti I think it is great and I found out that after I clean it it just takes a little time for it to start working really good. So it's Ti and Unk for me. Even If I get a crown I will get the RBA base for my Ti.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I prefer 24g Ti thanks to @tchavei 's guidance way back. Like Tony I'm lazy, not really, and I like the "set it and forget" durability of 24g Ti. Somewhere between 2.75-3.0mm 6-8wraps seem to really perform great. Dryburning at low wattage is not only easy but completely safe as well imo.
Tony probably holds the world record for Ti durability @ 5 months on a single coil in an everyday vape. Maybe I hold second place at 4 months but I tore mine out for the same reason, not because I had to but because I felt like it. 24g Ti is the bees knees for TC vaping imo but I am playing with NiFe52 too.
Meee likes. But I like the Unk 26 6 wraps 3mm about .31ohms and fits well on the STM.

AzrinRain

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
G'day folks, been trying out Ti for about two weeks now, wire courtesy of Cloud Formula.

Has anyone tried pulsing the wire first before wrapping it to your desired ID?
I find this way easier to work with, then from there i make an 8-wrap, 2.5mm ID contact coil and pulse, crimp and strum.
Comes in to about 0.25 ohms, works well with creamy flavors at 440F/40W.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
G'day folks, been trying out Ti for about two weeks now, wire courtesy of Cloud Formula.

I find this way easier to work with, then from there i make an 8-wrap, 2.5mm ID contact coil and pulse, crimp and strum.

Yes, it's called "annealing", I do it on my Unkaman 26 and 28 gauge titanium, but don't have to with the Rio Grande 24 gauge as its called "half soft".

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Has anyone had good results using titanium on mesh? I normally use Ni200 for it, but it would be nice to switch all my wires to one material. Any tips/tricks, preferred wire sizes/capture methods?
Havent tried but will soon as I have a couple of gennies on the way (Kraken 1.2 and a Nahual) that I will try a proper mesh build on!

ps. do you not have any hot-spot issues with Ni200 on mesh??

Reactions: TrollDragon

AzrinRain

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Has anyone had good results using titanium on mesh? I normally use Ni200 for it, but it would be nice to switch all my wires to one material. Any tips/tricks, preferred wire sizes/capture methods?

Quite fortunate to have some success with titanium and mesh.
My backup build is an AGA-T2, with #500 mesh (i somehow still had some left after 3 years), 24awg Ti01 @ 9 wraps (contact), vapes decent but pretty warm thanks to the slow ramp up of 24awg and the fact that the coil is about an inch away from my lips and only millimetres away from the tank cap.

I say decent because i believe the #500 is not wicking fast enough. Will experiment again with #325 and #200 (once i find a store that sells some) with spaced coils to see how it works.

(Oh, and if any are wondering, the fill holes are closed.)

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Quite fortunate to have some success with titanium and mesh.
My backup build is an AGA-T2, with #500 mesh (i somehow still had some left after 3 years), 24awg Ti01 @ 9 wraps (contact), vapes decent but pretty warm thanks to the slow ramp up of 24awg and the fact that the coil is about an inch away from my lips and only millimetres away from the tank cap.

I say decent because i believe the #500 is not wicking fast enough. Will experiment again with #325 and #200 (once i find a store that sells some) with spaced coils to see how it works.

(Oh, and if any are wondering, the fill holes are closed.)

all sizes here

Vape Mesh

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

I used to pulse it before wrapping but its a pita. If I need to, I just lightly torch it. Sounds a bit nuts but if you are very careful on a low flame, it works really well either on wire before wrapping or on the wrapped coils!

Unit Igor

Dec 12, 2015
How much people trash talked against Sweet spot vapors titanium i start to think world is perfect place. But of course it isn't. So i buy Youde Titanium Gr1 and of course its Gr2. I cut 10cm and install it on dripper(not as coil). Ohms are closer to Gr2 then gr1. SO how do you know your titanium is gr1. You all probably vaping Gr2 thinking you vaping gr1. At least those guys from SSV dont lie about grade, at least they clean it and make it easy to build coil. Here i come Sweet spot vapors.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
How much people trash talked against Sweet spot vapors titanium i start to think world is perfect place. But of course it isn't. So i buy Youde Titanium Gr1 and of course its Gr2. I cut 10cm and install it on dripper(not as coil). Ohms are closer to Gr2 then gr1. SO how do you know your titanium is gr1. You all probably vaping Gr2 thinking you vaping gr1. At least those guys from SSV dont lie about grade, at least they clean it and make it easy to build coil. Here i come Sweet spot vapors.

Fine. Go pay more money for a lower grade wire. Be my guest!

This is what they say..
'Our Titanium is NOT off the shelf "industrial" grade wire. We have invested over one year of research and development, to solve the problems associated with "off the shelf" Titanium wire products. You will not find any other product like Sweet Spot Vapors Ti wire on the market. It is specifically designed, from the ground up, for vaping applications and represents a first and only category, for "vape specific" Titanium.'

Have you every read such a pile of BS. And NOWHERE do they say it is grade 2.
50ft for $30 plus postage!
not for me..

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK

"At least those guys don't lie". I wouldn't know where to begin with this. If you've read this thread and can't deduce that they're blatantly lying on several occasions, there isn't much more to discuss here.

Furthermore, you should know than to trust a Chinese reseller for something like this. There's plenty of reliable European sources in this thread for Ti Grade 1.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

Totally illogical statements. Unkamen and Rio Grande as well as others sell plenty of G1 titanium. Do your homework, unless you work for SSV!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama

UD is a Chinese company who sells cheap wire. I have doubts that their wire is made to the same spec as you would get from a reputable USA or EU manufacturer. This is not to say their wire is "bad" or unsafe, but it probably isn't going to be grade 1. So, that's no surprise to me.

I also suspect UD's 316L wire is not really 316L. It's the same thing with a lot of the premade Chinese coils claiming to be 316L. Most likely they are 304 or some other grade (because 304 is cheaper to make). I believe Joytech's "316L" setting on their mods is actually set for 304, which could be a hint.

I get my wire from Unkamen *(mostly) who gets the wire from USA manufacturers. These manufacturers make the wire to the proper spec. If they say it's 316 or 317, it really is. If they say it's grade 1 Ti, it really is (and it "Ohms out" exactly as SE says it should in both cases).

There are no "grades" in China. This was discussed on the FastTech forums at length. They make their Ti wire how they want to make it. It's probably somewhere between Grades 2-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread