Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Hey guys, I've been just following till I got my 500...So I did the 55mm super tight roll in my Hybrid (which at the business end virtually has the same spec's as the Line) and vaping on it for a couple hours now...he's a pic for those who don't know it:

2012-07-20 16.26.09.jpg 2012-07-20 16.14.55.jpg

400 was working just fine but when I started getting down to the 10ml mark I found I was having to give the tank a good long tip (or a couple McDonald's milkshake draws) to help it's wicking...I left the tank half full on purpose just to see if the 500 made any difference...so far it's clear the 500 wicks better, back in business...taste is the same, vapor production is the same, it just doesn't seem to need the leg-up I had to give the 400...70/30, 1.7, batt V

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
running a 55 mm #400 with 28 AWG at 1 ohm (~4 volts at around 16 watts) on a Cobra and thick plumes of flavor!! The #500 will be great to tilt it less. I like the thick wick as it is so hard and with that so easy to wrap the thick 28 AWG!
Will have to try a super wick/coil with 28g, sounds interesting.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I tried today approx. 50mm width wick made from 400mesh, just for experiment. Almost no vapor using my standard heater resistance and power supply voltage. Anyway keeping watch out this discussion :)
Slimest I can't believe you don't have a VV. There are direct flights between Moscow and Dom. Rep. come on your next vacation and I will make you one while we share a couple of Presidente beers. :)

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Quig: your confirmation that 500 wicks better made me feel good. Always respect your opinion.

:laugh:...well so far lately you've been punching holes in a lot of my opinions/theory's...I mean, as I'm grinding this wick into almost a solid I'm thinking this isn't gonna work :unsure:...

As far as running the big fatty on 28...I don't have any 28 but I may re-approach that idea on my Hybrid...I had the foresight to drill my wick hole big enough to take a PFT insert (insert has the same I.D. as the Line)...if I pull the insert I can go up to a 5mm wick (I would need 28 for that) but a 4mm on 30 may be interesting

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Hey guys, I've been just following till I got my 500...So I did the 55mm super tight roll in my Hybrid (which at the business end virtually has the same spec's as the Line) and vaping on it for a couple hours now...he's a pic for those who don't know it:

View attachment 133554 View attachment 133570

400 was working just fine but when I started getting down to the 10ml mark I found I was having to give the tank a good long tip (or a couple McDonald's milkshake draws) to help it's wicking...I left the tank half full on purpose just to see if the 500 made any difference...so far it's clear the 500 wicks better, back in business...taste is the same, vapor production is the same, it just doesn't seem to need the leg-up I had to give the 400...70/30, 1.7, batt V

Wow that is a long wick, 4 inches? Going to do a lab test a see how high #500 will wick.

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
Slimest I can't believe you don't have a VV. There are direct flights between Moscow and Dom. Rep. come on your next vacation and I will make you one while we share a couple of Presidente beers. :)

Hey, buddy, I make my own VV devices :) And I professionally know electronics ;) My experiment just shows that a fat wick is less effective because of more metall. Also, I already wrote about it, the mesh500 has the same wires as mesh400, the same diameter of wires. It means that the same piece of the mesh consists of more metall but less liquid. I understand the capillary effect, but it works just great with my thin wicks - you can see this on my video. I did it using only my standard 5.7 watts power with PG liquid - less vapor. If this mesh was made from thinner wires it could be invaluable. Another doubts. It's just my knoledge. Of course I can use extreme power to force these fat wicks to work, but what for? Classical wicks made from 14mm wide mesh work perfect for me and anothers. I honestly tried thick ones - no joy for me personally. If I had a problems with my wicks...
Anyway, a couple of beers with you are always welcome :) You are great guy, you are always a little boy trying something new! I like it and enjoy your posts!

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
In this pic you can see that the bottom of the wick has a spiral from the wick not being a perfect rectangle. On this installation I put this spiral to the top and crimped the inside roll shut. This has eliminated the squirting out the top and occasional mini vape rings. The volcanic action of rising heated juice now seems to come out the sides under the coil and less from the center hole.
IMG_1628.jpg

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
In this pic you can see that the bottom of the wick has a spiral from the wick not being a perfect rectangle. On this installation I put this spiral to the top and crimped the inside roll shut. This has eliminated the squirting out the top and occasional mini vape rings. The volcanic action of rising heated juice now seems to come out the sides under the coil and less from the center hole.

That sounds like a positive.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Hey, buddy, I make my own VV devices :) And I professionally know electronics ;) My experiment just shows that a fat wick is less effective because of more metall. Also, I already wrote about it, the mesh500 has the same wires as mesh400, the same diameter of wires. It means that the same piece of the mesh consists of more metall but less liquid. I understand the capillary effect, but it works just great with my thin wicks - you can see this on my video. I did it using only my standard 5.7 watts power with PG liquid - less vapor. If this mesh was made from thinner wires it could be invaluable. Another doubts. It's just my knoledge. Of course I can use extreme power to force these fat wicks to work, but what for? Classical wicks made from 14mm wide mesh work perfect for me and anothers. I honestly tried thick ones - no joy for me personally. If I had a problems with my wicks...
Anyway, a couple of beers with you are always welcome :) You are great guy, you are always a little boy trying something new! I like it and enjoy your posts!

I also enjoy your comments, and true I am a 70 year old boy, my dear father always said I never grew up, after graduating as an aeronautical engineer with a masters in aerodynamics and vibration physics, I decided to be a commercial pilot, (my father called me a glorified bus driver). I disagree with you on the wire size, the capillary action is related to the hole size, smaller the hole better the capillary action with the same wire size. A brick has fairly good capillary action because of its porosity, many little holes close together. If the wires are the same size the more holes closer together wicks better. I tried smaller wicks and no doubt they work, just don't give me the volume of vaper that satisfies me. Nothing wrong with a small wick if it satisfies the person that uses it, everyone has their sweet spot. Look forward to sharing a few beers someday as now that I am off analogs and nic for almost 4 years I should be around for many years.:)
PS: I wouldn't call less than 5v on 2.4 to 2.8 ohms extreme power.. and sorry mental old age lapse,I forgot your electronic background, something I know just the basics ( I can turn off and use many black boxes on airplanes and helicopters but even though I know how to use them, could never understand the electronics in them.)

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
BJ - regarding hole size, is there a point of diminishing returns?

Which hole? The hole that the wick goes in and controls the diameter of the wick or the hole in the center of the wick left by the paper clip?
If you refer to the mesh weave hole ideally it would be just slightly larger than a molecule of the liquid used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread