#500 SS Mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Capillary action is a molecular phenomenon not a water droplet action. Adhesion force between the molecules of juice and the wire in our case is greater than the adhesion between the juice molecules so the molecules, rise on the wire until they weigh more than the force of gravity and they don't rise any more. As they rise they fill the small holes in the mesh and contact more wire and the process continues. The smaller the hole the easier and faster they fill and the liquid gets to the next wire. With larger holes that take more liquid to fill, the weight can't overcome gravity and they don't fill. Ideally the hole size would be just a little larger than a molecule of the liquid used. That would be a microscopic mesh. Interesting article on microscopic porosity metal for a capillary pump. Scientists create metal that pumps liquid uphill

Last edited:
Reactions: kformeck

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Hmm..

So far, the reviews seem fairly mixed. I think I'll wait until I see it stocked by my vendors on this side of the pond.

Don't understand your statement, I see no review yet that 500 isn't better at wicking than #400 and that is what this thread is about. As to waiting , that is fine but The Mesh Company in England is a very reputable company and half the price of any USA vender. Very good service and 5 to 6 day shipping.

Yes, thank you. I see them referenced regularly and I may well try an order from them in the near future - I'm "short" and plan to roll down the road in several weeks to the next job, so I don't much care to maybe have mail arrive here when I am gone.

I already figured the 500 would wick better, I'm just watching for a consensus on the value of an immediate changeover. The 400 is working like a champ, and I've yet to bother with the 325 I have. Perhaps as I increase the VG the 325 will prove itself? I suspect the viscosity matters, and everyone seems to vary their "tastes" in this matter.

Don't understand your statement, I see no review yet that 500 isn't better at wicking than #400 and that is what this thread is about. As to waiting , that is fine but The Mesh Company in England is a very reputable company and half the price of any USA vender. Very good service and 5 to 6 day shipping.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I had read that everybody does get their mesh in a week. I think they held mine in U.S. customs. I'm glad I finally got it. You get double of what you pay for as well. I'm very happy with the product.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Yes, thank you. I see them referenced regularly and I may well try an order from them in the near future - I'm "short" and plan to roll down the road in several weeks to the next job, so I don't much care to maybe have mail arrive here when I am gone.

I already figured the 500 would wick better, I'm just watching for a consensus on the value of an immediate changeover. The 400 is working like a champ, and I've yet to bother with the 325 I have. Perhaps as I increase the VG the 325 will prove itself? I suspect the viscosity matters, and everyone seems to vary their "tastes" in this matter.

Viscosty doesn't matter and 325 will not wick better than 400 or 500.

comparing oranges to oranges
PG will rise higher in a 400 mesh than on a 325 mesh.
Vg will rise higher in a 400 mesh than on a 325 mesh.
On the same 400 wick PG will rise higher than VG because of cohesion forces, but it will not rise higher on 325 than on 400,
All will rise higher and faster on #500

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
running a 55 mm #400 with 28 AWG at 1 ohm (~4 volts at around 16 watts) on a Cobra and plumes of flavorful vapor!! The #500 will be great to tilt it less. I like the thick wick as it is so hard and with that so easy to wrap the 28 AWG!

Dang that's MAAAAAD WATTZ

Currynoah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before: If I apply this "tight fat wick" theory to the Orion, do I need to seal up one of the wick holes for it to wick better? Or should I just leave it? Am thinking of trying it out with my #400 1st, before spending more money on #500... Thanks in advance!!

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before: If I apply this "tight fat wick" theory to the Orion, do I need to seal up one of the wick holes for it to wick better? Or should I just leave it? Am thinking of trying it out with my #400 1st, before spending more money on #500... Thanks in advance!!

If the hole is small you shouldn't have a problem. If you get juice spitting in your mouth close it some or completely.

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
I disagree with you on the wire size, the capillary action is related to the hole size, smaller the hole better the capillary action with the same wire size
There is also rheology of liquids, for example viscosity. E-liquid has much more viscosity than kerosene, so too small capillars could prevent its flow. So final effect depends on your task: if you want to raise a liquid as high as possible independent of flow - yes, smaller capillar is better. But if your purpose is to get maximal flow, thickness of capillar should be optimal, not minimal.

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
Thanks BJ another great lesson in understanding how this works..
Just finished reading this thread.. but on the weekend I kinda stumbled into it..

I got The Vaper from Petar K and used his method of a 10mmx20mm x 2mm wick but could not get it to wick well at all..
Since I built the coil seperate like he showed.. I removed the wick and made a 25mmx25mm x 2mm and have not had a dry hit since.. all this with a 400 mesh at 1.5ohms..

What about this.. By making the mesh thicker.. are we not also increasing the ohms value of the mesh?
If that is so. Dose it help to lessen the shorts or possibly make them non-existent?

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks BJ another great lesson in understanding how this works..
Just finished reading this thread.. but on the weekend I kinda stumbled into it..

I got The Vaper from Petar K and used his method of a 10mmx20mm x 2mm wick but could not get it to wick well at all..
Since I built the coil seperate like he showed.. I removed the wick and made a 25mmx25mm x 2mm and have not had a dry hit since.. all this with a 400 mesh at 1.5ohms..

What about this.. By making the mesh thicker.. are we not also increasing the ohms value of the mesh?
If that is so. Dose it help to lessen the shorts or possibly make them non-existent?

The mesh has nothing to do with ohms. Only the gauge of wire and the length used to make the coil affect ohms.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
There is also rheology of liquids, for example viscosity. E-liquid has much more viscosity than kerosene, so too small capillars could prevent its flow. So final effect depends on your task: if you want to raise a liquid as high as possible independent of flow - yes, smaller capillar is better. But if your purpose is to get maximal flow, thickness of capillar should be optimal, not minimal.

lol, go see your physics friend and ask him,

On the same wick thick juice will not rise as high as thin juice but a bigger center hole and bigger mesh holes makes it worse. This is true for all capillary action. If the viscosity gets too thick there is zero capillary action as the cohesion between the molecules is greater than the adhesion of the molecule to a new medium.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Just to put out another example of laws of physics, using the same gauge wire at the same temperature at the coil, and the same diameter wick, three wraps can never produce the same amount of vaper as more wraps. Just to use a number, lets say for the juice you are using, 250 degrees is the ideal point for vaper production. Three wraps on the wick at 250 degrees will produce less vaper than 8 wraps at 250 degrees. All other parameters being equal the size (area) of the heated surface determines the amount of vaper. Yes it does take more voltage to get the 8 wraps to 250 degrees than 3 wraps. 3 wraps satisfies many people and many like more vaper. LR atty were put out to get more heat to the coil from a 3.7v battery, I personally consider them useless for my style of vaping and with VV I can heat up a much larger surface to the same temp. Again this is the beauty of Ecigs each can find what works for him/her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread