Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Some more factors playing into Wicking in a Genisis not yet mentioned here:

• Difference in pressure between chamber and tank when taking a drag draws juice up.
  • Temperature difference between chamber and tank thanks to the coil.
  • Presence of gunk on the coil interfering with flow of liquid due to clogged pores.

I've noticed it accidentally before, but petar k pointed it out in his method of a slightly loose coil on the wick. It really does cut down the gunk on the coil problem quite a bit. I've done it on the last two atty builds on purpose and it vapes much cleaner than a 'snug' wrap.

:)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia

• Difference in pressure between chamber and tank when taking a drag draws juice up.
  • Presence of gunk on the coil interfering with flow of liquid due to clogged pores.

I've noticed it accidentally before, but petar k pointed it out in his method of a slightly loose coil on the wick. It really does cut down the gunk on the coil problem quite a bit. I've done it on the last two atty builds on purpose and it vapes much cleaner than a 'snug' wrap.

Excellent points Asdaq...one of the reasons why I had/have misgivings with a super tight (little to no tube hole) roll is because on my old Frankengenny (with the clear vape chamber tube) was when I drew on it I could see I was getting the "drinking straw" effect "aiding" the wicking...or more accurately "in addition to" the wicking...by running a short wick that just extended above past the highest coil wrap I could see juice come up the center hole which then ran down onto the coil...this is of course a fine balance between awesome and over juicing but if you know your gear I find this pretty effective...requires a "touch" not dis-similar to squonking...

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008

I agree with you, many other factors, I was just referring to the pure wicking (capillary action), there are many other factors, including gravitational flow from all the tipping we do. I have an air vent hole on all my genesis so don't have the differential pressure.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Excellent points Asdaq...one of the reasons why I had/have misgivings with a super tight (little to no tube hole) roll is because on my old Frankengenny (with the clear vape chamber tube) was when I drew on it I could see I was getting the "drinking straw" effect "aiding" the wicking...or more accurately "in addition to" the wicking...by running a short wick that just extended above past the highest coil wrap I could see juice come up the center hole which then ran down onto the coil...this is of course a fine balance between awesome and over juicing but if you know your gear I find this pretty effective...requires a "touch" not dis-similar to squonking...

I agree Quig but even without the center hole sucking has a straw affect on the wick, roll a wick without a hole stick it in a glass of water and suck on it and you will draw water. A large center hole is pretty hard to valve and control, everyone sucks different, lol In other words all kind of suckers in this world.

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Presence of gunk on the coil interfering with flow of liquid due to clogged pores.

For some reason my wicks seem to improve with a little gunk, the gunk seems to hold juice and stay wet. have never tested gunk to check its porosity but have a feeling it could aid under the coil and hinder if it starts covering the coil,

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
I must be over torching it then. It becomes quite brittle. I don't cool it in water either.

cut to size, torch (in the blue flame) both sides (all together I would say 2 to 3 minutes), keep that torch moving around, don't hold it to one spot too long, fold a mm, roll and torch again all parts really well, again don't keep it at one spot. Take some liquid and burn it on the wick a couple of times. don't use any water. the mesh should end up dark grey and hard to the touch.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
cut to size, torch (in the blue flame) both sides (all together I would say 2 to 3 minutes), keep that torch moving around, don't hold it to one spot too long, fold a mm, roll and torch again all parts really well, again don't keep it at one spot. Take some liquid and burn it on the wick a couple of times. don't use any water. the mesh should end up dark grey and hard to the touch.
Thank you Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread