510 Vs. 510 LR Vs. Tank Vs. Clearomizer CE2 - REVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbusardo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Cape Coral, FL
Thanks for the honest review! I have tried the CE2's in many configurations and they always make my tobacco all day vape taste like garbage. They are awefull. I started direct dripping in late may last year and I don't think I'll ever find anything better. The tank ideas are great and the CE2's looked and sounded amazing but from everything I have read, they do not live up to my 510LR's with a drip tip. Maybe someday someone will perfect a tank system or fillerless carto but, untill that day, there is absolutely no replacement for my LR's and a drip tip.

Thanks. BTW - Love your avatar. We should start handing those guns out!

I ordered some Boge 510 LR cartomizers based on the recommendation of another member. I'll give a review on those as well even though they've been around for a while and it will be a very late review.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I agree a LR510 and DD is awesome. I actually prefer it on a mod over an eGo though. However, I disagree with the rest to a point. I have had nothing but good luck with clearomizers on my eGo types using Dekang 555 and Ry4 mostly and the price is right in comparison to my other options. They clean and dry burn easily also and I can get over a month out of one. If the clear plastic breaks, I switch it over to a syringe mod. I also hated the first tank atty I got, it just constantly flooded. The second one would not wick fast enough... but I have figured that out and it performs well, best on the eGo. Some dimished taste, but not bad. The price is rediculous on them if you ask me, but I may get a 3 pack just to have around. The CE2 in a tank mod is crazy good. I still DD on a LR510 a lot, or use a tank mod at home. Out at the office I am using a clearomizer or tank atty and so far it has worked well. Vaping ~3ml a day. I like having the variety to fit different situations, much better then we had a year ago.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
I agree a LR510 and DD is awesome. I actually prefer it on a mod over an eGo though. However, I disagree with the rest to a point. I have had nothing but good luck with clearomizers on my eGo types using Dekang 555 and Ry4 mostly and the price is right in comparison to my other options. They clean and dry burn easily also and I can get over a month out of one. If the clear plastic breaks, I switch it over to a syringe mod. I also hated the first tank atty I got, it just constantly flooded. The second one would not wick fast enough... but I have figured that out and it performs well, best on the eGo. Some dimished taste, but not bad. The price is rediculous on them if you ask me, but I may get a 3 pack just to have around. The CE2 in a tank mod is crazy good. I still DD on a LR510 a lot, or use a tank mod at home. Out at the office I am using a clearomizer or tank atty and so far it has worked well. Vaping ~3ml a day. I like having the variety to fit different situations, much better then we had a year ago.

Thanks for the insight. Although I have tried the Ce2"s with several mods, I'll admit there may be some options I might have missed. I also vape around 3ml per day and if there is an alternative too dripping that matches it in quality, I'll be standing in line waiting. The inconsistency of the tanks bothers me though and, as I stated previously, I have had nothing but bad luck when it comes to CE2's. If I could have that freshly dripped-in LR taste and thickness of vapor without having to carry a bottle of liquid it would be the best thing that happened to me in my vaping "career."

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
That "freshly dripped in LR taste" is exactly why i love the CE2's. I'm not sure if its the fact that the coil is so close to the tip or what, but nothing I have produces the same vapor or flavor. It acts like a lr 306 is the best comparison. I'm starting to wonder if it was just a bad batch of CE2's or everyone's different mix on their juice. There is no doubt in my mind that there would be wicking problems with think VG stuff. I do 80% PG to 20%vg with a PG based Nic that has a bit of PGA in it. My juice is very very thin, which im contributing to the PGA. I've never had wicking problems, even when im vaping over 6ml a day. I busted all of the clearomizer ones, but that was my own fault. I soldered a ring on my Provari and I wear it around my neck, and I slam it into stuff all day (Mechanic). The batch i got a few days ago is all metal CE2's and they rock.
Check your juice when your trying the CE2's. Try something thinner if its burning on you. Because they are better then all the tank mods imho and this is INC:
http://www.e-liquid.cn/catalog/index.php?cPath=122&osCsid=dc092ee72b83e6a746e380a8534a2690

mary_d

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Indiana
www.parkesvaping.com
That "freshly dripped in LR taste" is exactly why i love the CE2's. I'm not sure if its the fact that the coil is so close to the tip or what, but nothing I have produces the same vapor or flavor. It acts like a lr 306 is the best comparison. I'm starting to wonder if it was just a bad batch of CE2's or everyone's different mix on their juice. There is no doubt in my mind that there would be wicking problems with think VG stuff. I do 80% PG to 20%vg with a PG based Nic that has a bit of PGA in it. My juice is very very thin, which im contributing to the PGA. I've never had wicking problems, even when im vaping over 6ml a day. I busted all of the clearomizer ones, but that was my own fault. I soldered a ring on my Provari and I wear it around my neck, and I slam it into stuff all day (Mechanic). The batch i got a few days ago is all metal CE2's and they rock.
Check your juice when your trying the CE2's. Try something thinner if its burning on you. Because they are better then all the tank mods imho and this is INC:
Giantomizer CE2 E-liquid Web Shop CN Giantomizer 5ml CE2

I have to agree with you the metal CE2's totally rock! I use 60pg/40vg and mine all wick just fine. I always make sure I pull up the little rubber piece that sits on the wick just a bit on each side and so far have NEVER had a burnt taste. I have had nothing but horrible issues with tank and the Lr cartos get to hot and lack on flavor so the CE2 is def. for me :)

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Giantomizer CE2 E-liquid Web Shop CN Giantomizer 5ml CE2

I have even tried them with all PG liquids and they still wick like crap. If you press the button while looking at the wick you can actually watch it run dry almost instantly. I have tried many of them V2's, V3's, V3.5's, and V4's in all different resistences they all taste like burning wick which = gross. But, there are many other threads that debate this at length and I will digress.

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think the problem is that the CE2s, all iterations of them, have the coil hand wrapped causing variance in how tight or the loose the string is around the wick. So even if you burn the wicks to a nice snowy white, clean and soak them with pga, there still is a chance that the coil is either too loose or tightly wrapped around the wick. This is in tern can cause the burn taste no matter how hard you try to rectify it. Some people get lucky and have the coil wrapped perfectly every time. In that case all that is needed is to burn the wicks to remove the antibacterial and vape it horizontally to get proper wicking to happen.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I've been using nothing but Clearo's for neigh onto a month. 2.6~2.8's, first one outta the pack, tasted great and lots of vapor. Used it for a full 3 weeks. All my juice is 50/50 or > % VG, up to and including 100% VG. And, nothing but Cinnamon. 4 days ago, I got the 3.0~3.2's in. Last 4 days that's all I've vaped. Reason I switched ohm range was cause after 3 weeks my first Clearo started spinning on the batt connector. And, I was fearfull it might start leaking. I'm convinced these things are juice hogs. My usage has increased by at least 50%. Initial fills are 1.8 mL, subsequent refills have been between 1.2 to 1.5 mL. This is my honest experience with them. I've read where many have had terrible experiences with the clear Cartomizers, in particular when using Cinnamon juice. I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket, because I'm luckier than most. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
The ce2's produce more vapor and flavor on a lower voltage. They wick the best around 3.4 volts imho on the 3 ohm. Try turning down the volts a tad to help with the burning. Its amazing the amount of vapor and flavor they will put out with such little effort compared to anything else out there atm with the same ohm rating. 3 ohm CE2r4 acts better then most LR's out there and all the LR's will burn if you dump too much voltage into them or hit them too fast.

I use a drip tip on mine, and i dont use the 2nd insert anymore either as I'm not having problem with leaking without it.

What revision ce-2s are you all using? I believe mine are revision 4 and they are the greatest thing thats ever happened to my Riva 510. My ce-2 clearo's produce the cleanest taste of anything I've tried. I've never had any wicking issues or burnt taste...and I'm a heavy vaper. Even right after I fill em, just turn em upside down for a sec and then vape away. I even use the ce-2s for dripping. I love the way the atty burns so cool and clean, and every drip goes directly onto the coil so there is much less transfer between flavors. On top of everything else it holds plenty of juice to last all day...and its clear so you know exactly how much juice is in it. I also don't know why everyone complains about having to use a syringe to fill them. Its actually super fast, clean, and easy.

Just to clarify, Im using a 2nd edition/revision 4 CE-2 XL Clearomizer 3~3.2ohm , on a standard Riva 510 pushing 3.3-4.2v with a 750mah manual battery.

Last edited:

pbusardo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Cape Coral, FL
What revision ce-2s are you all using? I believe mine are revision 4 and they are the greatest thing thats ever happened to my Riva 510. My ce-2 clearo's produce the cleanest taste of anything I've tried. I've never had any wicking issues or burnt taste...and I'm a heavy vaper. Even right after I fill em, just turn em upside down for a sec and then vape away. I even use the ce-2s for dripping. I love the way the atty burns so cool and clean, and every drip goes directly onto the coil so there is much less transfer between flavors. On top of everything else it holds plenty of juice to last all day...and its clear so you know exactly how much juice is in it. I also don't know why everyone complains about having to use a syringe to fill them. Its actually super fast, clean, and easy.

Just to clarify, Im using a 2nd edition/revision 4 CE-2 XL Clearomizer 3~3.2ohm , on a standard Riva 510 pushing 3.3-4.2v with a 750mah manual battery.

2.4-2.6Ohm XL from Clouds Of Vapor on an eGo battery.

Burnt flavor no matter what I did.

You are using a higher resistance version which is why you could be getting the better flavor. Still no excuse for the lower resistance to provide that kind of crappy performance.

I also question whether or not the higher resistance would give me adequate throat on an 11mg liquid. Even with the lower resistance model I was getting barely ANY throat hit even with a HUGE mouth draw (of burnt vapor).

Filling is not an issue at all for me. I'd stand on my head and fill it if I only had to do it once per day with great performance. Also using the carto for dripping kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

It surprises me how many people are coming to the rescue of this device.

Last edited:
I agree, the resistance should not have that kind of effect on performance. I don't have any reason to defend it other than its performing like a champ for me. And yeah, I realize it sounds dumb to use a carto for dripping...but that is just how good this thing vapes for me, and at less than 3 bucks a piece I can afford to keep one empty and just use it to drip.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy

I have the latest greatest CE2's 3.0-3.2ohm (not clearomizers mind you). I have used three of five and they all taste terrible. I will never use them again. I have wasted more liquid because of these than I care to admit. I even went so far as to remove the wick from one, fray it and place it back in so it was much looser, thinking that it was too tight originally. It was still gross.

I was fed up with taking a bottle everywhere I go so I had to try the tank thank heaven I got the whole thing tanks and atty from volcano for less than $20 including shipping however that was a total waste of twenty dollars should of used it to light someones analog could have maybe impressed them would have been worth more than I got from the tank. I filled the first one took a few pulls laid it down and grabbed the other Riva laying there and dripped few drops AAAHHHHH I do like my drips with a 510 LR atty. I would like to find a way to not have to drip & drive because I might hit a bump and spill my drip that makes my van smell funny. Well I got to go take this tank thing to the trash before the trash man comes

cynyc2

Jan 10, 2011
arizona
I am new to vaping (@ a month) but I just got my box of 5 clearomizers in earlier today. They were 9 bucks for 5. So far, the wife and I like these over the Boge cartos (2 and 3 ohm) and the carts (with 3 different attys). One out of five has a wicking issue, but it is not bad until the clearomizer is 1/4 empty. These are the ones that only have 2 rubber pieces over the ceramic atomizer assembly.

They need to be modded a little though, to make filling easier. It is not too bad to pull the second cap out and they fill easily. I will get a good syringe needle, and then I won't even worry about modding them outside of cutting the wick.

Flavor and vapor off of several juices and flavor combos have all been good. We have the 2.8 to 3 ohm versions, witch seem about right.

Good luck vapor friends!

Last edited:

Antidevil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've used the 3rd revision CE2s, and they weren't that great. Great flavor out of them, but crap throat hit. These 5th revisions are a big step up with the throat hit. The wicking problem tends to be a scattershot sort of problem that could be fixed with better quality control, but when I get one that's working right I haven't had anything better. I think it really is all to do with the viscosity of the fluid you're using. What I do is just fill them up and let them sit threaded end-up until I need to head out, or overnight.

Honestly, I've had regular Boge/Bauway cartos die on me worse than any of these have. They don't get clogged up like a carto with filler will, and I never have to worry about debris getting into the atomizer/cartomizer when it's pocketed, which is a big plus. They aren't flawless by any means (I've twisted the wiring off of one by accident when I overscrewed it into the battery), but they're definitely a step in the right direction. If and when I have the time and inclination, I'll try the mods some people have posted that are supposed to be significant improvements in the wicking.

Might want to be careful with the LR atomizers on your big batt (eGo/Riva etc). I've killed a few that way.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Another benefit of the CE2R4s MAP TANKS !!!!

ProvariandMap.jpg

hellcatrydr

Moved On
Jan 30, 2011
I think the problem is that the CE2s, all iterations of them, have the coil hand wrapped causing variance in how tight or the loose the string is around the wick. So even if you burn the wicks to a nice snowy white, clean and soak them with pga, there still is a chance that the coil is either too loose or tightly wrapped around the wick. This is in tern can cause the burn taste no matter how hard you try to rectify it. Some people get lucky and have the coil wrapped perfectly every time. In that case all that is needed is to burn the wicks to remove the antibacterial and vape it horizontally to get proper wicking to happen.
+1
Mary, when/where did you buy your tank? Did you get the Rev 2 atty? Curious 'cause your experience was so bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread