Age verification -- funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I was going through my stash. I clean it out regularly and give away stuff that I no longer use. I have a Wake Mod RTA that takes both coils and you can build on it. I actually like the tank and it has a proprietary drip tip that I, of course, lost. It would be a tank that I'd hang on to just to future proof me if I had the drip tip.

It has been on my mind to try to find a replacement drip tip and so far no luck.

The other day I found one so I ordered two of them. I get an email letting me know that I have to verify my age by taking of a photo of me holding my ID. Are you friggin kidding me?

Immediately I got very irritated - certain things just set me off --lol. I replied to the email with a cancel my order and refund me and cancel my account as well. I also let them know that I have been purchasing vape products online for years and have no issue going through an online process but I am not taking a photo of my ID with me holding it and sending it to you.

Received an email just now with a tracking number --- I guess the drip tips were mailed --lol. :)

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
I was going through my stash. I clean it out regularly and give away stuff that I no longer use. I have a Wake Mod RTA that takes both coils and you can build on it. I actually like the tank and it has a proprietary drip tip that I, of course, lost. It would be a tank that I'd hang on to just to future proof me if I had the drip tip.

It has been on my mind to try to find a replacement drip tip and so far no luck.

The other day I found one so I ordered two of them. I get an email letting me know that I have to verify my age by taking of a photo of me holding my ID. Are you friggin kidding me?

Immediately I got very irritated - certain things just set me off --lol. I replied to the email with a cancel my order and refund me and cancel my account as well. I also let them know that I have been purchasing vape products online for years and have no issue going through an online process but I am not taking a photo of my ID with me holding it and sending it to you.

Received an email just now with a tracking number --- I guess the drip tips were mailed --lol. :)

Maybe the age test is just how irritated you get with the age test? :lol: I don't blame you, I wouldn't send a pic of my driver's license to anyone, never mind adding a picture of myself holding it.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I seem to remember at one time trying to order from OasisVape or BlueDotVapor and the verification asked for my SS#. *That* seemed sketchy. The verifications for sites I’ve used as of late only need basic information. But not every site has even asked for that. I wonder why there’s a discrepancy and why something across the board couldn’t be instituted in order to prevent online sales to minors. (I know that sounds naive as kids can still get around that)

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Was it Central Vapors? That happened to me. I didn't reply and the package was shipped. Rereading the email it seemed like the purpose of the photo was to verify your account so they didn't have to check your age with every order.

I've heard about places asking for that before. I guess I would do it if it was something I really wanted that nobody else was offering.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Was it Central Vapors? That happened to me. I didn't reply and the package was shipped. Rereading the email it seemed like the purpose of the photo was to verify your account so they didn't have to check your age with every order.

I've heard about places asking for that before. I guess I would do it if it was something I really wanted that nobody else was offering.

THey would have fun with mine since I have lost 100 lbs since my driver's license photo was taken

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I ran into this on Juul when re-signing up for auto-ship. This was before all the "vaping illness" hysteria. My thought on it was much different than yours. I was happy to comply as I thought it was a good step in limiting youth access to vaping supplies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Age verification is likely to become a critical legal requirement for online stuff. There are many ways to do it though. That particular one is not one I have run into myself. Generally it’s a single click affair for me. I am the only member of my household and the only one on any of my cards which may simplify things though.

it seems reasonable that if a person has or had minority aged children at the address though more explicit differentiation might be required.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Shops use a variety of different age verification systems, usually based on cost and the amount of business they do online. Third party vendors who do verification rely on public databases to determine if your dob matches what you report. Obtaining enough info to complete a successful search may require the last four digits of your SSN. That’s not the store, that’s the verification program.

Others require a photo ID with your dob. Crossing out your DL number is acceptable. As there have been cases of kids grabbing a photo of dad’s DL with their phone to place an order, they want to see an adult actually in possession of the ID, not a 14 year old. Given the problems of underage use, and all the problems it causes, rigorous verification is perfectly reasonable. If a vendor fails to perform rigorous verification they’re only hurting all the adult vapers when they get caught.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Shops use a variety of different age verification systems, usually based on cost and the amount of business they do online. Third party vendors who do verification rely on public databases to determine if your dob matches what you report. Obtaining enough info to complete a successful search may require the last four digits of your SSN. That’s not the store, that’s the verification program.

Others require a photo ID with your dob. Crossing out your DL number is acceptable. As there have been cases of kids grabbing a photo of dad’s DL with their phone to place an order, they want to see an adult actually in possession of the ID, not a 14 year old. Given the problems of underage use, and all the problems it causes, rigorous verification is perfectly reasonable. If a vendor fails to perform rigorous verification they’re only hurting all the adult vapers when they get caught.
    I think it's funny when I see people in the store using a credit card and they get mad when the checker asks for ID. The checker is only doing their job and they are protecting the owner of the card.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I think it's funny when I see people in the store using a credit card and they get mad when the checker asks for ID. The checker is only doing their job and they are protecting the owner of the card.

When was the last time a cashier even bothered to looks at your signature on the slip to see if it matched the one on your card? People can be very complaisant about using their cards in stores, which is where almost all the credit card fraud originates. Just because it's face to face doesn't make it safe. And good for the checker who follows through. It's a shame when they go to the trouble and then a hacker just busts into the store's servers and still swipes a half million credit card numbers or more in a few seconds.

On another note, while I do, and imagine most here do, black out their DL's ID number, it really isn't all the necessary, as drivers license numbers are public record through the DMV. You're really not giving them anything they can't get with about 3 clicks online. Still, I do it as a placebo to make me feel like I had some control of my data for the transaction.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    When was the last time a cashier even bothered to looks at your signature on the slip to see if it matched the one on your card? People can be very complaisant about using their cards in stores, which is where almost all the credit card fraud originates. Just because it's face to face doesn't make it safe. And good for the checker who follows through. It's a shame when they go to the trouble and then a hacker just busts into the store's servers and still swipes a half million credit card numbers or more in a few seconds.

On another note, while I do, and imagine most here do, black out their DL's ID number, it really isn't all the necessary, as drivers license numbers are public record through the DMV. You're really not giving them anything they can't get with about 3 clicks online. Still, I do it as a placebo to make me feel like I had some control of my data for the transaction.

I haven't signed the back of any of my credit cards in over 8 years. I have 6. In those eight years not ONE single person has asked for my ID. Of course they will now that I'm posting this though.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I haven't signed the back of any of my credit cards in over 8 years. I have 6. In those eight years not ONE single person has asked for my ID. Of course they will now that I'm posting this though.

I've really gotten in the habit of using my phone and Apple Pay. The store never gets my cc number, and it takes my fingerprint to complete a transaction. Around where I live I rarely if ever need my actual cc with me. Safer than getting my wallet swiped, and if my phone gets lost or stolen, they can't do too much with it without my thumb and I can wipe the phone remotely.

I recently got a new bank card and credit card that allow tap and pay as well. No need to even sign anything. Then again, if they're stolen, they can easily be used, although I can call the fraud department and shut it down with no out of pocket loss on my end. All of the occasional fraud issues I ever ran into were someone using my numbers online which are picked up right away by the card company anyway. I mean, I'm in NY, not CA, and no, ordering a $140 worth of Domino's Pizza for delivery is not my pattern of charging, so they get shut down on the spot. Unfortunately it happened at 4 AM when they called to verify it wasn't me in Venice Beach with a huge pizza craving.

• Informative
    Reactions: CMD-Ky

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA

It was not. I do not want to print their name here because I do not want them to get in any kind of trouble. Never heard of them but they have the drip tips in stock and it is a Brick and Mortar location in Illinois as well. There was some type of disclaimer on the site. It was a big box that had an over 21 and under 21 box and I just went and reread it and it did have a note---that I paid no attention to because I did the checkmark thing
    upload_2019-10-15_19-50-53.png

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    I ran into this on Juul when re-signing up for auto-ship. This was before all the "vaping illness" hysteria. My thought on it was much different than yours. I was happy to comply as I thought it was a good step in limiting youth access to vaping supplies.
    If you see in my initial post --I totally do not mind going through a more "normal" verification and I do understand. It does seem that most companies---or should I say the vape suppliers I have dealt with -- have an online process where you input your name, dob and address and you get verified. I am OK with that. I am not going to take a photo of my ID with my home address on it and ss # with me holding it. Not OK with that. For the record, I have a different mailing address partially for safety. So that is the part I had an issue with but I do absolutely understand the need for verification. Maybe they are a smaller company and cannot pay the company that many of the others use

Reactions: Anise

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    If you see in my initial post --I totally do not mind going through a more "normal" verification and I do understand. It does seem that most companies---or should I say the vape suppliers I have dealt with -- have an online process where you input your name, dob and address and you get verified. I am OK with that. I am not going to take a photo of my ID with my home address on it and ss # with me holding it. Not OK with that. For the record, I have a different mailing address partially for safety. So that is the part I had an issue with but I do absolutely understand the need for verification. Maybe they are a smaller company and cannot pay the company that many of the others use

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, Juul had me take pictures of my ID and a selfie of me holding the ID that had to be taken on the spot. I've also typed in my last four of my SS# but it's been a long time since I did that. I have a freeze on my credit so maybe these things are just less concerning for me.

I just view it differently. I'm happy to provide these things if it means youth have less access and therefore less harsh penalties end up flying our way.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

It's a bit annoying that most companies can do it so easily by checking public records, but some require a selfie with your driving license. Since it's obviously possible to do it without the selfie it's a bit mysterious. You may be right that it's a cheaper service. I think I read that the age verification method has to be whatever the company that processes their credit card payments uses.

People have suggested that you blank out everything except your picture, name, and age. You can do it with editing software, or just use black electrical tape. I'm guessing that would be all they need. I would only do it if it was for something I couldn't get anywhere else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread