Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I recently had to cancel an order because the only ID I have is an expired state ID card and a couple of expired passports. I've also had to cancel an order because I have no means of taking a picture of myself holding my expired ID.

I had a great age verification experience the other day, though. Had to sign for a package (from Central Iowa Vapor, as a matter of fact), and my Fed Ex guy said to me, "You're over twenty-one, right, Sarah?" I told him I was, as of the day before.

He has been delivering packages to me for twenty-three years.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I recently had to cancel an order because the only ID I have is an expired state ID card and a couple of expired passports. I've also had to cancel an order because I have no means of taking a picture of myself holding my expired ID.
Me too. No camera and wouldn't know how to send a copy if I did. Too bad for me; too bad for the (potential) seller.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I have the ultimate solution.
buy from a physical store. Yup. The ones near me won't let you in the door without valid ID.

At one shop a young girl walks in the door and the proprietor said he needed to see her ID. She replied he was being a racist. He asked her if she was 21 yet. She said no. He replied "your parents were racists for not making you born over 21 now get out of my store". She left.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I recently hit a site that only wanted my stated birth date to match my credit card information. I'm willing to state my date of birth.
I had an issue with one site where they asked for my social security number which I absolutely will not give as that is absolutely insane. No other verification sites have any problem once I put my age and name in because they work with a Outsourced agency that compiles information about us all (or at least that's what the email implies) don't know if that sounds any better now that I've said it out loud.. but for some reason I just feel my social security number is sacred. To be honest it's not that difficult for companies to find out the makeup of a household and whether or not there are adults and if it is an active address and if the adults names match up. I'm surprised personally that I haven't had an issue because all the credit cards are in my husband's name I guess since we have the same last name and I'm verifiable it's not an issue.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
The only people who get my SSN are people who are giving me money - not taking my money.

I had an issue with one site where they asked for my social security number which I absolutely will not give as that is absolutely insane. No other verification sites have any problem once I put my age and name in because they work with a Outsourced agency that compiles information about us all (or at least that's what the email implies) don't know if that sounds any better now that I've said it out loud.. but for some reason I just feel my social security number is sacred. To be honest it's not that difficult for companies to find out the makeup of a household and whether or not there are adults and if it is an active address and if the adults names match up. I'm surprised personally that I haven't had an issue because all the credit cards are in my husband's name I guess since we have the same last name and I'm verifiable it's not an issue.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
When was the last time a cashier even bothered to looks at your signature on the slip to see if it matched the one on your card?

I had my wallet stolen once, and I spent some time asking clerks to check or thanking them when they did, but it obviously wasn't going to change anything, so eventually I gave up.

I recently had to cancel an order because the only ID I have is an expired state ID...

I think that's what happened to me with Nude Nicotine. I placed an order in mid-September with no problem and decided to do another order less than 2 weeks later and was turned down. My only guess as to why was that I let my DL expire in April and will have no need to get a state ID instead until near election time, and that their service only found this out at the end of September. I contacted NN to ask about it and they basically lectured me that I wouldn't be able to buy anything anywhere with an expired ID.

I've never quite seen the problem with expired ID since I still match the picture and my birthday still shows. Wizard Lab's age checker had no problem when I placed the order with them.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
once I put my age and name in because they work with a Outsourced agency that compiles information about us all

They don't need to compile any data. All they need is a subscription to publicdata.com which provides all sorts of public data from Drivers License, to Vehicle Registrations, to Land Deed registrations and leases. All they have to do is look up the provided address and check if someone with that name and age is on a deed or lease there or owns a vehicle at that address. incidentally that site also provides all sorts of criminal court data as well. You can use it to do your own background check on someone or check if sex offenders live near you.

Close to 2 decades ago the site was completely free to use for individuals. One day on the way to work someone made a right hand turn from a left hand lane and ran me off into a ditch. I was not injured and my car was undamaged, but it scared me and made me angry. I did manage to get their license plate before they were out of view. I used this site to get their name and address and then used a different phone look up site to get their phone number. That evening I called, asked if they were driving the vehicle that day, when they confirmed they were, I cussed them out until they were crying and just a scared as they had made me. Hopefully I prevented them from causing an accident pulling that stunt again.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
I had the same thing happen to me... I placed an order with a site, and then placed a 2nd order with them a few days later. I got the shipping notification for the 2nd order right away, which made me wonder about my first order (I thought maybe I missed the notification for that one). I then searched my email and found an email from them saying they wanted id and I had to take a photo of myself holding the ID up as I did it. I was immediately irritated and had no intention of doing that, plus they had shipped my second order. I decided to put the situation on the back burner for a few days as I did not want to deal with it at the time. I had planned on emailing them and confronting them with the fact that they shipped my 2nd order but not the first, but it never got that far as a few days later they just simply shipped that 1st order.

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
CNB (card not present) transactions are actually kind of interesting. The thing is that if a vendor provides a service, or sells a product, to a fraudster (i.e., using someone else's card), it's the seller that is on the hook. The CC companies refund he/she who was ripped off, and then charge the seller to refund, including a chargeback fee. It's the chargeback fee that is the real motivator here. Sellers lose money paying chargeback fees, hence their motivation to validate CCs in card not present transactions. The seller may also lose out on the product or service fraudulently sold. Another cost to the seller.

Similarly, age verification is arguably in the best interest of the seller. Should little Johnny get busted for lying about his age when making an online purchase, the seller may need to demonstrate they've done their part to prevent an illegal sale.

No altruistic explanation is needed for either ;)

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I was going through my stash. I clean it out regularly and give away stuff that I no longer use. I have a Wake Mod RTA that takes both coils and you can build on it. I actually like the tank and it has a proprietary drip tip that I, of course, lost. It would be a tank that I'd hang on to just to future proof me if I had the drip tip.

It has been on my mind to try to find a replacement drip tip and so far no luck.

The other day I found one so I ordered two of them. I get an email letting me know that I have to verify my age by taking of a photo of me holding my ID. Are you friggin kidding me?

Immediately I got very irritated - certain things just set me off --lol. I replied to the email with a cancel my order and refund me and cancel my account as well. I also let them know that I have been purchasing vape products online for years and have no issue going through an online process but I am not taking a photo of my ID with me holding it and sending it to you.

Received an email just now with a tracking number --- I guess the drip tips were mailed --lol. :)
Rec'd the drip tips today :) :)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Did they think that perhaps you had expired along with your ID?
:lol::toast:

I think thats what they think..

One time the policy changed at my bank, and no longer was knowing the customer personally enough (small town bank, we all knew each other personally) ID had to be checked...

My DL expired and I didn't realize it, and the tellers who knew me by name and were welcome in my home anytime, made me go get a new DL before they would give me any money..

Everyone in town was ...... off by the time the bank decided to revert back to the old policy of knowing the customer being good enough for ID. lol..

So yes, I think these people think we expire too.. lol..

• Love
Reactions: Don29palms

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My DL expired and I didn't realize it, and the tellers who knew me by name and were welcome in my home anytime, made me go get a new DL before they would give me any money..

Everyone in town was ...... off
I too would be fit to be tied.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I had a great age verification experience the other day, though. Had to sign for a package (from Central Iowa Vapor, as a matter of fact), and my Fed Ex guy said to me, "You're over twenty-one, right, Sarah?" I told him I was, as of the day before.

He has been delivering packages to me for twenty-three years.

So, he knows that you are at least 23? :)

Last edited:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
So, he knows that you are at least 23? :)
Yup. Just in case the gray hair and wrinkles weren't clue enough.
I think thats what they think..

One time the policy changed at my bank, and no longer was knowing the customer personally enough (small town bank, we all knew each other personally) ID had to be checked...

Everyone in town was ...... off by the time the bank decided to revert back to the old policy of knowing the customer being good enough for ID. lol..

So yes, I think these people think we expire too.. lol..
I didn't need to show any ID when I opened my bank account here. One of the things that made me glad I chose to move to this town.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I didn't need to show any ID when I opened my bank account here. One of the things that made me glad I chose to move to this town.
Have you been there a while? I was under the impression that the utterly mis-named "Patriot Act" mandated IDs for opening a relationship with a bank roughly 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread