Aluminum bottom feeder box mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WidowsSon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Toronto ON
Ok, so I've been using the vapage vmod 2.0 for two days now, I think it's great... with a good atty on there it's awesome...

about to order the XL to have more power (plus I can kick/crown it).

It's a nice looking/feeling device, a little cheap, but fits in my hand/pocket and vape's well, I wish I had a nice option available to buy

waiting for some info about the AB by aero, looks like my only option.

I wish there where more options out there in BF's, just can't find anything.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hey bro, I'm the last guy you can call a fanboy, I actually really disliked the reo myself, didn't like the square box look, don't like the rough finish some of them have, don't like the colors and without going on too much, believe me I know how you feel.

I decided that I wanted to get into a bottom feed but refused to consider the reo so I bought a Vmod myself, and the Vmod def enlightened me to the joys of BF. yeah it too was a cheap pos but that's fine because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than it is, and even though it is a plastic toys r us looking construction it still did it's job and surprisingly lasted longer than I initially thought it would, I imagined it would fall apart in a week, but it didn't.

when my Vmod finally became more of a pita than I could deal with I just got to the point of saying screw it, I don't care wth it looks like, I'm going to get a reo just to have a decent quality bf vape

dude, let me tell you that as much as I disliked the reo in pictures and disliked the thought of it, after holding it in my hand and using it a bit that all melted away. I'm not going to go on like the fanboys saying it's the best thing since sliced bread and it's all I use now, because that's not the truth, but the truth is that it looks and feels much better in your hand than your imagining it would and in hand it has an almost industrial feel to it. I gotta admit that I'm a picky person and I winded up having to mod my reo to really suit me but after the fact of owning one my overall opinion of them has changed a lot.

my advice to you is, just get a reo. not because I'm a fanboy, but because this is the only way your going to really realize the difference between it and something like the Vmod. you waste $$ on stuff all the time but the reo will never be a waste, it'll be a realization that it's not as bad as you imagine it to be and you may even get to the point of really liking it, if not, you will at least get to the point of at least really liking it's functionality and practicality. trust me I resisted so long because I too really don't like the whole fan based push, goes against my nature, I don't want what everyone else wants, that alone put me off for a good long time, but the bottom line is that it really is a nice piece of equipment for what it is. it feels better in your hand than you can ever imagine it would and it's smaller than you imagine it to be and looks much better in person than it does on the internetz, just my 2 cents...

oh and the reason I think for the funky textured finish is that the mod is aluminum and aluminum is pretty soft, so the textured powdercoat makes the finish a bit more durable than alternatives but I still sanded mine down and brush finished it. after a while you can get to the point that it don't even matter how it looks, it matters more how it just works and is rock solid reliable. they are now really stepping up the mod to the point of better mechanics on the connection end and rob now can add the option of milling down the catch cup thingy so it can now accept any rebuildable BF atty. I'm running a dual coil cyclone on mine with dual adjustable air inlets and let me tell you the reo is the perfect compliment to this atty, it needs plenty of juice and the reo delivers, this combo just works so nice that even if it looked like a turd I'd still want to vape it, nothing matches it performance wise when I want a lot of thick rich flavorful vape, it's just a really kick ... vape

WidowsSon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Toronto ON
hey bro, I'm the last guy you can call a fanboy, I actually really disliked the reo myself, didn't like the square box look, don't like the rough finish some of them have, don't like the colors and without going on too much, believe me I know how you feel. .... .... .... add the option of milling down the catch cup thingy so it can now accept any rebuildable BF atty. I'm running a dual coil cyclone on mine with dual adjustable air inlets and let me tell you the reo is the perfect compliment to this atty, it needs plenty of juice and the reo delivers, this combo just works so nice that even if it looked like a turd I'd still want to vape it, nothing matches it performance wise when I want a lot of thick rich flavorful vape, it's just a really kick ... vape

Thanks for the time you took to post here turbocad6,

been poking around today at some threads, saw your vmod dna-20 thread... (I've got 2 dna-20's, usb's, and a dna-12 doing nothing but staring at me... looking for a home) I figured I'd pop it in an XL like you did, till I got to the back of your thread...

long story short, by the end of the day I'm CAD'ing up designs for a dna-20 B'fer... lol, I'm messed up like you. Problem is I have so many little projects like this on the go I'd rather not another... nothing ever satisfies me so I build it.

Your post is the closest I've come to wanting a reo... usually I just get people trying to "convince me" they look nice, I always think, are we looking at the same thing here?... I guess with a design/engineer background I have different expectations of a manufactured product, after reading some of your posts it looks like I'm not alone.

I'm assuming the pictures don't do it justice.... It just looks like it was made in someones garage. Don't get me wrong, I make a lot of things in my garage, but my friends usually can't tell.

I've also heard that people are getting them and then immediately modding them for voltage drops and other problems, so even though the vaper in me is saying just get one to vape nice, the Eng. is saying build a copper circuit...

<sigh>

Does the reo use the frame/body as ground? (aluminum is not so good conductivity) just wondering.

I can't believe I'm actually considering a reo now... (thanks turbocad6..... lol)

I guess I'll have to poke around some reo threads before I make a decision (the looks of the reo had prevented me from considering them previously, didn't even investigate.)

What is he painting them with... looks like the spackle paint from Home Depot you'd use on wood..

I'm assuming its powder coating.. was it easy to grind/polish off?.. thinking of anodizing it if I get one.

anyways.. I'm also a chatter... thanks turbo. (Nice dna-20 bottom piece for the reo btw... do you have drawings?)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yes the body is the ground but the mass makes up for the reduced conductivity of the aluminum, if you had 2 same gauge wires side by side, one alu and one copper, then of course you're going to see a big difference, but take an aluminum 8 gauge wire and compare it to a copper 20 gage and you'll see that the mass more than makes up for it.

I don't think they are all textured like that, I believe it's powder coating. if you're thinking of stripping it then I'd say just get a tumbled raw, no finish to remove. it can be polished up to a mirror finish but it's not durable because aluminum is soft. also I believe some finishes are less texture than others and so many pictures are so macro shot that the orange peel is a bit exaggerated when studying pics. worse case removing the finish is not too difficult either, I used a belt sander and didn't stop at just the finish, I removed some aluminum too, slimming it and rounding the edges a bit

I hear yah on the wanting to build your own, I refused to buy a reo because I said to myself hell I can build better than that ugly thing, I know I can, but like you I guess I don't have the time to just do it right here right now. I will build my own one day, this I know, but I really need to vape until then. I got so frustrated one day that I said screw it and picked one up and I can't say that I'm sorry I did. don't get me wrong there are some things I'm not thrilled about but it's much easier to tinker with and add to an existing base than it is to build from scratch. if you are a little handy then "fixing" the conductivity issues as it exists is trivial compared to fully building from scratch. the door is another area that personally I don't like. my dna mod helped there because it made a solid stop and now my door can only go up but if I had a stock grand I think the door is something I'd also want to address. again it's much easier to modify an existing design and tweak it compared to fully building from scratch

I said one thing to myself before ordering it, and that is even if I wind up not liking it at least I'll have a good baseline to judge what's considered the best against anything else I do build. again, I believe that even if you don't wind up loving it you still will never wind up feeling it was a waste. I've bought a lot of things that I could look back on and say that was a waste of $$ but the reo is if nothing else a solid foundation to work with. your posts really hit home with me because I know how you feel about them and I felt the same which is why I'm saying just get one and end the agony of wanting what doesn't exist until you can build what you ultimately want, and I think your opinion of them will change once you have one. I'm not going to say I love the reo in stock form, I do kinda like them now, but love, not so much. I do love it though after my tweaks and paired with the cyclone dual coil atty.

I don't have any drawings but if you want any details I could get you some better pics when I open it up to swap out my dna.

one last thing, even if the box isn't appealing to you visually, I've come to realize that from an outsiders view you will get much less strange looks sucking on this thing than you get sucking on a big shiny dildo looking mod, it's much less conspicuous and strange looking to anyone who doesn't even know what vaping is

WidowsSon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Toronto ON
one last thing, even if the box isn't appealing to you visually, I've come to realize that from an outsiders view you will get much less strange looks sucking on this thing than you get sucking on a big shiny dildo looking mod, it's much less conspicuous and strange looking to anyone who doesn't even know what vaping is

You made my hour.... good laugh here.

Even after consideration of building my own, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned using it as a baseline for building something. Wouldn't hurt to have one to see how the feed system works, compare it to anything I do build.

alright, alright, looks like I'm buying a REO. <kicking and screaming ensues>

... again thanks turbocad

EDIT: Man am I ever going to have to do some backpeddling in some BF threads now...

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
No back pedaling required bro. It's all good. TurboCAD was indeed quite skeptical initially and did a great job explaining it. In my year of vaping exclusively REOs I have seen a few similar stories to turbos and yours and most play out the same - happy endings.

I hope you end up as happy as most of us REO users and I look forward to seeing you over in the REO threads.

And once you get one in hand they usually totally exceed the expectations of the owner. I hope this pic does them more justice :
tesaty7a.jpg

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Don't go by what the pics show on the website. I felt the same way when I bought my first one. After getting it and holding it, using it, and learning about it. Yea I like my Reo's.
I would kinda like to try a Vmod though. Geees I don't need another mod.

Attachments

• Reo's 001.jpg
    Reo's 001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 58

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
your welcome :)

also I noticed you mentioned the vinci. I bought one of those too, still have it, rarely touch it atm. that's the perfect example of something looking really good until you actually have it in your hands. there's a whole lot of "what were they thinking?" when you have this mod in your hand. it's flexy and the shield thingy around the tank is flimsy and feels cheap and turns on it's own. conductivity is bad because of a few different bad points in there design. it's not a total pos, but pretty damn close to it, but it's def pretty which is it's only saving grace :) oh and the extra tubes they give you to turn it into a tube mod are a joke and as good as extra scrap metal. so much of this mod is just what were they thinking????

I considered the aero but I'm afraid it might just be another vinci. the touch controlled electronics have me leery too. same goes for the sunbox. I really like the looks of that thing with a dna already installed but it's so hard to tell if it's going to feel like and be real quality. it looks like it might be cool but a $300+ gamble that it don't feel like cheap crap in your hands. all the covers may be too gimmicky and hard to tell if it's going to be really "good" or not. I think I'd like that design much better in a stainless steel frame, looks a little too minimalistic structure wise to be made from aluminum. it does look like it may be cool though, but then again so did the vinci :)

Last edited:

WidowsSon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Toronto ON
your welcome :)

also I noticed you mentioned the vinci. I bought one of those too, still have it, rarely touch it atm. that's the perfect example of something looking really good until you actually have it in your hands. there's a whole lot of "what were they thinking?" when you have this mod in your hand. it's flexy and the shield thingy around the tank is flimsy and feels cheap and turns on it's own. conductivity is bad because of a few different bad points in there design. it's not a total pos, but pretty damn close to it, but it's def pretty which is it's only saving grace :) oh and the extra tubes they give you to turn it into a tube mod are a joke and as good as extra scrap metal. so much of this mod is just what were they thinking????

I considered the aero but I'm afraid it might just be another vinci. the touch controlled electronics have me leery too. same goes for the sunbox. I really like the looks of that thing with a dna already installed but it's so hard to tell if it's going to feel like and be real quality. it looks like it might be cool but a $300+ gamble that it don't feel like cheap crap in your hands. all the covers may be too gimmicky and hard to tell if it's going to be really "good" or not. I think I'd like that design much better in a stainless steel frame, looks a little too minimalistic structure wise to be made from aluminum. it does look like it may be cool though, but then again so did the vinci :)

Right now it's between the reo and the AB,

contacted Aero (maker of AB), but they haven't replied yet, looks quality, but like you said....

probably end up with a reo soon, and the AB in the future.. to be honest, my curiosity usually has the better of me. I keep looking at that stupid AB, it's been in a cart twice lol. Funny thing, if Aero had returned my e-mails I'd probably have one already, but the unknown on top of no contact with manufacturer just has me guessing.

Thanks for the heads up on the vinci... I saw one bad review on it that kept me from purchase, but with your input also that mod will never be in my collection...

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I've been following this thread... It stuck me that no one really suggested making a feeder. There are hundreds of threads on ECF regarding how-to's and modding. And, there are other resources on the web with good tutorials and instructions.

If I were going to make a feeder for myself, I would probably do the altoids tin feeder but with a better tin made out of food grade aluminum or steel like this one.

Altoids tin feeder mod

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
^ Good work son :).

It's one of those things in life you just have to try to appreciate. Glad you did. Congrats. See you in REOvil bro :)

Here's a link : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/

Now we just need to get my brother Muzichead up in there and I will feel complete :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Muzic bro, We could use a man like you. I definitely understand your thoughts though. But I look forward to the day when you hold one in hand and go "I kinda see why Russ" is such a freak about these things" :)

I will feel complete when that day comes :)

Until then, let's rock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread