Ammit MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Okay, I did something wrong when I wicked this. If I don't shut the air flow down much more than I like and set the wattage lower than where I normally have it for this juice, the vape is sharp and harsh. My notion is that I've overwicked. Thoughts? Suggestions?
if possible attach a pic, overwicked is a thing several users tend to do by mistake, nothing wrong there,

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Unfortunately, I don't have the means to take a picture. Would overwicking cause the problems I described?
Could do.
Might just be the tails and you can trim them.
Sorry, Im no real help.
I am trying mtl again, this thread reminded me to drag out the Ammit and have a try with it.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I did find wicking the Ammit a bit trying but I was just starting with rayon wicks. Try with standard size cotton thread like Cotin with a 3 mil coil and not too tight in the juice feed channel, also take some fluff out of the tails...cut the tails almost flush with deck bottom edge. Does this problem relate to all your different juices?

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Unfortunately, I don't have the means to take a picture. Would overwicking cause the problems I described?
could be, this tanks really runs little cotton wicks, i use it with salts so i never run a full refilled tank, thats another thing to consider when wicking, the exact liquid retention you want or aim too, i really use thin wicks and fine coils, they are so tiny and also the mtl wire seems a bit like fragile, i will try to rebuild mine since i like to try a new mixed salt juice i will be using, so i will try to attach a pic about my wicks!

tell me a bit more about your tank, wicks material, coil and juice you use... to try a bit more to help!

Regards,

Reactions: Zazie

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
could be, this tanks really runs little cotton wicks, i use it with salts so i never run a full refilled tank, thats another thing to consider when wicking, the exact liquid retention you want or aim too, i really use thin wicks and fine coils, they are so tiny and also the mtl wire seems a bit like fragile, i will try to rebuild mine since i like to try a new mixed salt juice i will be using, so i will try to attach a pic about my wicks!

tell me a bit more about your tank, wicks material, coil and juice you use... to try a bit more to help!

Regards,
Your post seems to remind me that, I think, I found a good place with this rta with 2mm and 2.5mm id coils because I didnt have to fuss with the wick if I used smaller id coils.
Im going to have to drag it out of semi retirement for sure.
I seem to remember it had quite open airflow for a mtl if af ring was wide open, is that correct?

Edit: I just dragged it out. I had modified it. Destroyed it as a MTL in the process. Good rDL now. Guess I will have to get another and remember to keep the drill away from it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AngeNZ

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
i use 3mm id coils, cotton bacon prime and salt nic juices, thats why i told about thin wicks and not 100% refills, if you use regular freebase liquid, lower nic strength... you could try a well fluffed wick ends to avoid dry hits and ensure proper wick abosrtion, without pics is too hard to tell my friend,

Regards,

Reactions: Zazie

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I did find wicking the Ammit a bit trying but I was just starting with rayon wicks. Try with standard size cotton thread like Cotin with a 3 mil coil and not too tight in the juice feed channel, also take some fluff out of the tails...cut the tails almost flush with deck bottom edge. Does this problem relate to all your different juices?
I've only tried it with one juice so far, 65VG/35PG, 9mg nic salts. The coil is 3mm id kanthal, the wick KGD. And I am sure from what you guys are telling me that I've overwicked. I did fluff out the tails, but I seem to recall stuffing quite a bit into the juice channels.

Thank you all for your advice! I know it's hard to help when you can't see what I did. Someday I'll get a device that lets me take pictures, but all my money is going to vape gear for now.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Update: Finally got around to rewicking this. No wonder the flavor was off: the cotton was scorched. Presumably this is because I had overwicked, so the wick wasn't able to suck up enough juice? Whatever the reason, and however ineptly I rewicked, all seems to be well now. I'm still vaping at a surprisingly low wattage (I've noticed that, since switching to RBAs, this is true across the board), but I've tested at higher levels, and nothing tastes burnt. Here's hoping it lasts.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Update: Finally got around to rewicking this. No wonder the flavor was off: the cotton was scorched. Presumably this is because I had overwicked, so the wick wasn't able to suck up enough juice? Whatever the reason, and however ineptly I rewicked, all seems to be well now. I'm still vaping at a surprisingly low wattage (I've noticed that, since switching to RBAs, this is true across the board), but I've tested at higher levels, and nothing tastes burnt. Here's hoping it lasts.

if it was overstuffed then yeah, you understood it right - tails can't supply enough juice to the coil. I swear, it took me 6 months of playing with the sjmy doggystyle RTA before I figured out the do's and don't's with wicking ;)

this guide is pretty good:
    Wicking 101: How To Wick Your RDA and RTA Properly (EVERY TIME)

Reactions: YHX72
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread