Anyone had a vape mod last for more than a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My oldest mod that's still working is a istick TC 40W. It's an internal battery mod that has been in my pocket many times while cutting grass at home. Even after all these years it still sits with my go to mods as a small pocket mod that's ready to go when I want something small and highly vapable in MTL mode.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    My oldest mod that's still working is a iStick TC 40W.
    My oldest is an iStick TC60W (I won it here, thanks Eleaf). I've got a cover over it and the only signs of old age are a scratch on top and the paint has worn off the short sides and the bottom a bit. I'm a 7 to 9 watt tootler. I once had it up to about 11 watts when I wrapped a coil that was a bit over 2 ohms.

amoret

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 2, 2013
    Sharon, ND, USA
    All of my Innokins, including the ones with fixed internal batteries lasted from 1 - (4+ so far and still going) years.

When I switched up my tootle puffing to more modern standards (40-60 watts, still pretty tame) I switched over to Wismecs because I have hand problems that make the buttonless/squeeze operation a lot easier for me to use, and stocked up on those since the same hand problems mean I can't deal with the weight and diameter of multi-battery mods. So far the electronics on the Wismecs have held up, and I love the squeeze to fire switches, but the physical battery cover closures on both the RX75 - magnetic, but the little magnets come loose and the Sinuous P80s with little mechanical slide grips that bend and/or break have reduced what I was hoping would be a lifelong supply* down to maybe another years worth.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to try next - I'd stock up on even more of the Wismecs but they're obsolete now.

* I'm 69 and not a healthy active 69. The funny thing is I got hit with a spinal cord problem that seems to be entirely random - not connected at all to smoking or weight.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I've been through a great deal of SMOK's and Wismec's. Each seems to last me a year or less before the thing breaks. The buttons seem to just stop working on the Wismec's. If you've had a mod last you longer than a year, what kind was it? Where did you get it from?

I gosh yes! I have hundreds of mods. Only a handful have failed. It would be easier to answer which ones failed.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I've been through a great deal of SMOK's and Wismec's. Each seems to last me a year or less before the thing breaks. The buttons seem to just stop working on the Wismec's. If you've had a mod last you longer than a year, what kind was it? Where did you get it from?
    I've only been using mod since October so no I don't personally own any that I've been using for over a year but I do have three different mods that are second-hand and that are well over a year old and are still kicking

Reactions: DPLongo22

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    All of my Innokins, including the ones with fixed internal batteries lasted from 1 - (4+ so far and still going) years.

When I switched up my tootle puffing to more modern standards (40-60 watts, still pretty tame) I switched over to Wismecs because I have hand problems that make the buttonless/squeeze operation a lot easier for me to use, and stocked up on those since the same hand problems mean I can't deal with the weight and diameter of multi-battery mods. So far the electronics on the Wismecs have held up, and I love the squeeze to fire switches, but the physical battery cover closures on both the RX75 - magnetic, but the little magnets come loose and the Sinuous P80s with little mechanical slide grips that bend and/or break have reduced what I was hoping would be a lifelong supply* down to maybe another years worth.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to try next - I'd stock up on even more of the Wismecs but they're obsolete now.

* I'm 69 and not a healthy active 69. The funny thing is I got hit with a spinal cord problem that seems to be entirely random - not connected at all to smoking or weight.
    If you don't mind a Pod styled device the Freemax Autopod 50 is very easy to operate just holding in the hand and tops out at 50 watts and it's Freemax who is known for exceptional flavor and this is no exception. In my opinion it's the best pod based system made for comfort, looks, ease of use and FLAVOR.

20200711_082359.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    One thing has to be considered- the frequency of use. If someone has 50 mods and different rotation cycles, each won't get as much use as a mod owned by someone who only has a couple and uses them everyday.

Agree. The best hedge against running out is to have a little more hardware than you need in your projected lifetime, just in case the FDA gets its way and shuts down vaping to give states an edge for tobacco company tax receipts.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    One thing has to be considered- the frequency of use. If someone has 50 mods and different rotation cycles, each won't get as much use as a mod owned by someone who only has a couple and uses them everyday.

Agree. And the iStick TC40w I mentioned above is one that I bought in 2010-2011. It doesn't get daily use, but it does get used here and there. I'm surprised that the internal battery still charges and provides a reliable vape considering its age.

I agree that rotation is key to longevity. Distribute usage and the wear is gradual.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR
    Agree. And the iStick TC40w I mentioned above is one that I bought in 2010-2011. It doesn't get daily use, but it does get used here and there. I'm surprised that the internal battery still charges and provides a reliable vape considering its age.

I agree that rotation is key to longevity. Distribute usage and the wear is gradual.

Dave, I don't think the iSticks came out until about 2014.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

So mine would have to be around then or later.

Heck. It's been so long since I bought them that I forgot when. I started off in early 2010 with an eGo and a Joye 510. On the first anniversary of vaping I ordered a Provari V2. Most everything I have is in a box in the closet except for one Pico 75W that I use daily and the iStick TC40w. Once in a while I'll switch to one of my vapes in the closet just to give them some rotation duty.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

Correct. I got my iStick 30W in the fall of 2014. I remember because we were all so excited about it--it was also my first ever box mod. I was afraid I wouldn't like the form factor, but I fell in love with it the second I got it. And then I immediately ordered more. They are fun and pretty much indestructible.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    @amoret, the Innokin Kroma R mod uses a fire bar if you're looking for a possible candidate for another mod in the future.

Nice mod, but I've seen some complaints somewhere that the 510 connection is not as solid as it should be, which surprised me, because I never had problems with any new 510 connectors on any mods in years. Innokin is supposedly working on a fix. Disclaimer--this is second hand information. I don't own a Kroma.

Funny that those fire bars are not more popular. I love my Wismec Presa with a fire bar, but it's also old.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    On the first anniversary of vaping I ordered a Provari V2.

Funny how it goes. I waited a long time to get a ProVari. I finally bought one in 2014, just months before I got my iStick. The iStick became my daily driver and ProVari landed in a drawer. I loved everything about my iStick--form factor, the extended lip that accommodates larger diameter atties (no more beauty rings), the simple button to change wattage (no more round robin), and variable wattage!

The problem with ProVari was that it was designed to be used with cartomizers--by the time I got mine, nobody used cartomizers anymore. :facepalm:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @Katya, it seems that a lit of mods released recently have had issues with the 510 connector. The only explanation that I can think of is that they must be employing designers, when they should have employed engineers.

And it would be nice to see more mods with a reimagined and reengineered fire bar solution, as it could be better done and is easier to use for some as @amoret has pointed out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread