Are you done stocking up?

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I was reading up on mech's, have 3 never used them and also reading up on the kicks, have several. Kicks need to be used with IMR batts Evolv states. Mech's scare me, I hope I never have to use them, but want to be educated to them. Hope my regulated mods last forever LOL!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
All of these points are valid to one degree or another. There are a few that I have minor issues with, such your use of the word "bomb". None of my mods are tubes, and none of them can build any pressure from a venting battery. So "incendiary device" perhaps, but "bomb", no.

Yet my choice of mechanicals does have some advantages:
  • Mods that do not fail randomly and in wonky ways such as suddenly deciding to produce a much hotter vape than expected because the mod mis-read the resistance of the coil or the input for the Up button thinks the button is always pressed even though it's not. I've had both of these happen on DNA mods.
  • Mods that can be fixed rapidly with common hand tools if/when they do fail.
  • Mods that I'm absolutely certain will work if I pull them out of storage one, two, or even more decades from now.

For someone like me who is perfectly content with builds optimized for ~3.7V and for whom a single 18650 lasts through a 600 mile, 9-hour drive with capacity to spare, they are a good solution.

Oh, and cost had absolutely nothing to do with this choice.

But to each his own vape. :)
Okay, Rossum - don't leave us hanging.;)
Which mods are these?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Guess I'd better start taking stocking up a little more seriously. More ammo for Gottlieb.
In today's Atlanta Journal, page 2, an LA Times article. (wasn't sure that the AJC link would work if you aren't subscribed)
They quote it as a research survey, but they're actually an activist organization.
AJC Headline:
upload_2018-12-18_10-37-7.png

.https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-teen-vaping-increase-20181217-story.html

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Guess I'd better start taking stocking up a little more seriously. More ammo for Gottlieb.
In today's Atlanta Journal, page 2, an LA Times article. (wasn't sure that the AJC link would work if you aren't subscribed)
They quote it as a research survey, but they're actually an activist organization.
AJC Headline: View attachment 786805
.https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-teen-vaping-increase-20181217-story.html
They are coming after vaping more aggressively because of the children. I think being prepared is wise :) If they come after online sales, we are all screwed.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Buy a few chips, I bought one just in case :)
Shelf life for OLED screens is estimated @ 10 years unused, probably less if used, probably much less if mods get bounced down the street out of bikers' pockets or thrown out of our laps getting out of our cars or just plain dropped on the floor etc

~10 spare boards, ~10 spare 510's, ~10 spare battery contacts for 5 Boxers
Get backups for your backups' backups :thumb:

The blue one has skidded down the driveway and bounced off the floor so many times - it's wearing it's 3rd board, the mechanic that owned the "orange" one let the magic smoke out of it before I bought it DOA for $40 and replaced the board.
YiHi Mods n Boards.jpg

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    If they come after online sales, we are all screwed.

Not if you are stocked up and prepared.... Of course, they are aware of this as I imagine all vape forums are scanned by the feds... They know exactly what some of us are doing. @Rossum has a point about those mechs... You can pick them up decades from now and they will work like the day you put them into storage.... But I wouldn't worry too much about the regulated ones as they are improving in quality and design and there will shortly come a time when there will be almost zero problems with the electronics or anything else in the mod....

One of the biggest problems would be your power source... You need power to run whatever type of mod you use and usually people use some sort of battery (normal people anyway LOL) … That being the case, stocking up on LOTS of batteries/chargers is crucial. Another problem is that all batteries have a shelf life and so if you stock up too many of them early on then they may not function many years later... I don't know if the feds will ban batteries but I doubt it....

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    AJC Headline: View attachment 786805
    You can't buy the kind of advertising mainstream media gives Juul for free :facepalm:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    They are coming after vaping more aggressively because of the children $$$$$. I think being prepared is wise :) If they come after online sales, we are all screwed.
    Don't ever believe it's about children. It's always about money.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2014
    Brant County Canada
    I was reading up on mech's, have 3 never used them and also reading up on the kicks, have several. Kicks need to be used with IMR batts Evolv states. Mech's scare me, I hope I never have to use them, but want to be educated to them. Hope my regulated mods last forever LOL!

You could always think about buying some more provaris.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Shelf life for OLED screens is estimated @ 10 years unused, probably less if used, probably much less if mods get bounced down the street out of bikers' pockets or thrown out of our laps getting out of our cars or just plain dropped on the floor etc
    Where did you hear this? OLED has always been number of hours times the brightness which limits their lifespan. I have lots of OLED displays much older than 10 years old that are still going strong. And what happens to the display of OLED while using coupled by brightness is they get dimmer. And all of the colors doesn't have the same lifespan either. At sometime in the future after heavy use, one color will be still working fine while the other 2 colors will become too dark to see. Here, look at what Wikipedia has to say.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Most of the info I found on Google pertains to OLED TVs.
    I did find that oled shelf life is estimated at 10 years in this book from 2013
    https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Light-Emitting-Diodes-OLEDs-Applications/dp/0857094254
    Here's the direct link to "shelflife" search in that book - Organic Light-Emitting Diodes (OLEDs)
    Good info @Fubar1977 :toast:

My RX 200's and RX 200S's use different size oleds.
    My SX350j mods probably do too so I think I'll get a few mechs after all.

I'll need freshly charged batteries because I like my dual coil Aromamizers @ .25Ω and my 100+ Crown coils are also .25Ω. I need 3.7v - 4.2v to get useful output. (55W-70W)

Ohm's law @ Steam Engine

Some (all?) mods for that other stuff use 510 connectors now but I dunno what wattage range they provide.
    @BillW50

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Not if you are stocked up and prepared.... Of course, they are aware of this as I imagine all vape forums are scanned by the feds... They know exactly what some of us are doing. @Rossum has a point about those mechs... You can pick them up decades from now and they will work like the day you put them into storage.... But I wouldn't worry too much about the regulated ones as they are improving in quality and design and there will shortly come a time when there will be almost zero problems with the electronics or anything else in the mod....

One of the biggest problems would be your power source... You need power to run whatever type of mod you use and usually people use some sort of battery (normal people anyway LOL) … That being the case, stocking up on LOTS of batteries/chargers is crucial. Another problem is that all batteries have a shelf life and so if you stock up too many of them early on then they may not function many years later... I don't know if the feds will ban batteries but I doubt it....
    True, if everything closed up tomorrow I would be fine. But I still order my flavors online so may get a few more.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    True, if everything closed up tomorrow I would be fine. But I still order my flavors online so may get a few more.

yeah, not sure how long flavors last in storage but I imagine that lots of people will become creative and find things to use as flavors if need be... Just hoping that never happens with the online sales.

Users who are viewing this thread