Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Just curious - how many watts are you running on the SS superfine wire?

I’ve used a 2.5mm and 3mm ID, always 6 wraps, coming it at .5-.7 ohms.

I have vaped it at as low as 17w to a max of 25w in wattage mode (I know it can go much higher). I’ve settled around 20-22w, it’s warm, but not too warm, and very flavorful.

I’m not huge on TC mode, but I’ve been playing with it lately, wattage just seems easier.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've stuck with 28ga SS316L spaced coils for a couple of years since I started TC. Still, I find myself staying at 10W in wattage mode most of the time. In TC mode using the same coils at 10W the temp rarely reaches more than 350F and that's my comfort zone. With low MTL airflow it doesn't take much wattage to heat up the juice.

I view TC mode as a method of ensuring safe temps. The vape is the same whether I vape in temp or power mode. I'm not sure that I see increased battery life in TC over power mode. It's pretty much a toss up.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I've noticed that also when I TC/TL Kanthal with my battery life vs battery life in Power mode, I see no difference. You say you TC @ 350°F, at what temp do you start to get decent vapor, or even any vapor ??
You can use TC with Kanthal?

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Yes, in the HohmTech devices you can, like the "HΩ Wrecker G2", and the "HΩ Slice". If you can find any that is.

Have you actually done a cotton burn test using a Kanthal coil on that mod? That has to be the only company on the planet that has real tc using Kanthal. Somehow I don't believe it.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've noticed that also when I TC/TL Kanthal with my battery life vs battery life in Power mode, I see no difference. You say you TC @ 350°F, at what temp do you start to get decent vapor, or even any vapor ??

Starting around 400F I start to get more warmth than I like. So, with TC mode at 10W/350F it's about right. Kayfun V2 air flow isn't enough to raise temps much more than that and get a filter cigarette like vape. I'm just replicating what I got from those Merit filter tips 8 years ago! It's hard to remember actually smoking, though.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Have you actually done a cotton burn test using a Kanthal coil on that mod? That has to be the only company on the planet that has real tc using Kanthal. Somehow I don't believe it.

Believe it or not, your choice Chodi. It works, and has for me for over a year and a half. Do some research on it and you'll see, there's plenty of videos out there showing how it does work. I'll not start any problems on this thread with a "My toy is better than Your toy" argument. I was just answering @Jumpin' In... question. If it didn't work, then why would I be using it every day since I got it, and recommending it to others ?? Your correct, it is the only company on the planet that has a device that will TC/TL Kanthal and NiCr, or just about any wire you can put into an atomizer.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
It's just too bad that Hohmtech took all the earnings and went into Battery Chemistry, like they said they would all along (I was hoping that they would change their minds though), but that is why such a LOW price now (or should I have said LOW), they are closing out all production and sales, and now are 100% into new Battery Chemistry for 18650's and 26650's.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
I mentioned it in the Berserker but I think it is worth mentioning here. The Vandy Vape SS316 MTL Fused wire is an excellent performer.

If I calculated right that is 30GA x 2 = 0.5 mm plus 0.1 mm for the outer 38GA wire. So the total diameter of that wire is 0.6 mm (22 GA) ? Does anyone know if there are other, maybe even finer/smaller Clapton wires available? That VandyVape MTL Wire is very expensive...

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
If I calculated right that is 30GA x 2 = 0.5 mm plus 0.1 mm for the outer 38GA wire. So the total diameter of that wire is 0.6 mm (22 GA) ? Does anyone know if there are other, maybe even finer/smaller Clapton wires available? That VandyVape MTL Wire is very expensive...

It is expensive. I just ordered it from the only place I could find it which was on Ali Express. Turns out that AliExpress store is owned and operated by Vandyvape. I thought that was a rather surprising development. I ordered yesterday and received notice today that it has shipped. The price was extreme but I have read so many positive posts about it I just had to try one roll and see what all the fuss was about. I ordered the ss version as the nichrome version was not available.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I vape at 10W to 11W in power mode. My TC mode wattage is set to 11W with preheat off. There's virtually no difference in the vape in either mode. TC yields 325F and sometimes hits close to 350F. I vape low airflow MTL atomizers in MTL mode, so it doesn't take a lot of heat to get the vape I want.

I've always tried to replicate my old light cigarettes. No huge clouds for me. I can always stealth vape most everywhere I go when I'm out. No one seems to notice unless another vaper happens to see me vape and wants to talk about hardware.

If you blow clouds these days you have to go outside ...

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I've always tried to replicate my old light cigarettes. No huge clouds for me. I can always stealth vape most everywhere I go when I'm out. No one seems to notice unless another vaper happens to see me vape and wants to talk about hardware.

If you blow clouds these days you have to go outside ...

If folks up here in Minnesota blow anything close to a cloud they get in trouble (out in public that is). There is more negativeness toward vaping than cigarette smoking it seems (believe that or not, really). I'm with you, as I try to replicate what I was exhausting when I smoked, with my vaping now, but with my HΩ Slice it's a bit touchy, as the one thing I don't like about that device is that it only goes down to 10w (so I take my Presa 100TC when I go out, due to the fact that I can run it at 7-8 watts in Power mode with my Kayfun's and like that vape better) so I just use the Slice at home in TC/xxx mode and set it to 93°C (that's about 199.4°F) and adjust my FSK curve till I get vapor, which is at what temp (?), I don't know for sure, but it's not very darned much. That's interesting that you get that kind of vapor at 325°F, as I always wondered about that (you know, what low temp setting actually produced usable vapor). Also mostly vape low air flow RTA's myself, KayFun's, Berserker, CV Hussars w/1.3mm air pin for the more successful RTA's I have, plus I also use a lot of PG to further cut down on vapor (80%, and now trying 90%). I just seem to like that style of vaping better. It's funny though, if I'm vaping along side a bunch of young people, it's the young'uns that get tagged for vaping before I will, but that hasn't changed much throughout history, it's always the young folks fault, guilt by age I guess (or lack there of). ;)

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Yes, in the HohmTech devices you can, like the "HΩ Wrecker G2", and the "HΩ Slice". If you can find any that is.
Does the Slice come with an 18650 adapter or is it 26650 only? If the “Black Friday” offer is still good, it’s a great price, but if I need to add in the cost of a couple of 26650s and a compatible charger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread