Status
Not open for further replies.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Flavoring companies like LorAnn, Bickford, FlavourArt & Capella have Spec Sheets available for all their flavors. It wouldn't be difficult to have these available on the eliquid vendors' websites. Since it covers the non-flavoring ingredients trade secrets would still be protected. I would also like to know when flavor enhancers are used separate from the flavorings!

Great Point GoodDog. A really good trade organization for the vaping industry is what is needed here in the US(as ECITA is in the UK)as a start(kind of like what ECA was supposed to be at one point). This trade industry would be responsible for looking out for the consumer and reigning in suppliers with respect to issues like diacetyl. When I started vaping in June 2009, this seemed the direction in which things were headed here in the USA. Then it just all fell apart and the industry started to get overrun with suppliers literally crawling out of the woodwork. What happened????? I know the SE ,NJOY FDA case was always pending in the backround; but the UK also had it's share of Government intervention issues(and still does) but it seemed to be able to pull it's vaping industry together in a way the USA has not.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
We can get the suppliers to provide us with ingredient lists on their juices - let the FDA control eliquids as a drug, and they will control the labeling. Personally, I doubt that many of our juice suppliers or makers really know the chemical composition of their juices, and probably have no way to easily find out, so we are stuck. Supplier X can tell us what PG, VG, and flavorings are used, and they can tell us what ever tid-bits of info their suppliers, who buy from other suppliers, tell them, but none of this is very scientific or conclusive. So we have a problem. If supplier X says "no diacetyl", can we believe them. I doubt it. Are they lying or trying to deceive us? I doubt that also. They just don't have any way to really know. Suppliers that we use could also spend a few thousand dollars or more, considerably more, to have all of their juices components analyzed at a certified lab, but I can't really see that happening - most are small operations that are operating on limited capital. My "witch hunt" reference in an earlier post doesn't refer to the problem posed by diacetl, but only to the tone of a couple of the posts.

I apologize if my posts came across to you as a witch hunt. In no way was that my intention. I have no ax to grind with PA or any other supplier. It just concerns me for the reasons expressed.

GiMante

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
So Cal
www.VaperSociety.com
Have no fear Backwoods Brew uses No liquids that contain Diacetyl. All of my flavorings are from suppliers that dont use it except for Flavourart but the only ones I use by them do not contain it.

Thanks Don, awesome to know! (specially since I'm expecting an order soon!)

GiMante

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
So Cal
www.VaperSociety.com
And for you people who would rather be safe than sorry, please please please DO NOT unload your dubious liquids onto unsuspecting people through the PIF subforum or the FS/Trade forum unless you tell them you're offering them liquids they might not be safe. Get rid of them appropriately and keep your conscience and karma clean.

And FWIW, I have never bought juice or flavoring off the FS subforum due to sanitation reasons. I wish ECF would not allow ppl to sell their consumables on the ECF website. I'm no science whiz, but I did take enough microbiology & labs in college to know that mold spores and dust motes can/will go airborne.

Good point Seabrook! Mine are going down the drain.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I read about some countries having allowed e-cigarettes, and presumably the juices to be used for medicinal purposes. I'm wondering if those countries have done testing, and what they have found?

That's a very good idea, Fiddles. Do you have the time to research this some and post your findings?

Antwoord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
I don't really know how to research the issue no lol. I could give it a shot. I think one of the countries mentioned in the E-Cigarette Wiki where vaping is legal with a prescription, and items are sold through a pharmacy is Malaysia. If I find anything, I'll be sure and post it.

Edit to add:
In Malaysia, electronic cigarettes are recognized as medical devices, much like in Austria and Denmark, and nicotine cartridges’ medicinal products, but are available by prescription only. A medical device is a product that is used for medical purposes in patients, in diagnosis, therapy or surgery. If used on or in the body, the effect of the medical device is chiefly physical, in contrast to pharmaceutical drugs, which cause a biochemical effect. Specific regional definitions of medical device may vary slightly. The medical devices are included in the category Medical technology. Medical devices encompass a wide range of products varying in complexity and application. Examples include tongue depressors, medical thermometers, blood sugar meters, and X-ray machines.

Well, even though the government of Malaysia has recognized the electronic cigarette as a medical device and has not completely outlawed the product as a couple of other countries, the status that the electronic cigarette has found itself in is still subject to strict controls. This position that a lot of states have adopted in respect to the electronic cigarette is widely seen as a transitional stance as the product undergoes more research to test safety issues.

From Electronic Cigarette Legal Status by Region:Malaysia

Apparently Austria, and Denmark have e-cigs and cartridges at pharmacies as well. I think we at least have some German members, maybe they could tell us more.

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Thank you Simplesins and to Bovinia, I was simply trying to add a bit of wit to my post. Understand that there is no one looking out for you, as a vaper, but yourself(i.e. there is no one forcing or regulating any US vendor/supplier/manufacturer to do anything above and beyond placing a vapable liquid into a bottle and ship it). What do you think the government response will be if a percentage of vapers start showing up at their pulmonologists with "popcorn lung" diagnoses? I don't think you need to think about that for too long. This is a situation where, by necessity, it is incumbent upon the vaping consumer to know what they are vaping and be responsible(just in case their supplier may not be). If being confrontational means looking out for the general health of people, so be it, that's what I took an oath to do(sadly and unfortunately in the USA, in this as of yet unregulated industry, somebody has to). It might not be popular viewpoint, but it's the clinically correct one.

Mark, I meant no disrespect to you or your information. I was referring to only the first paragraph of your post and I apologize for not catching the humor of it. Maybe I need to check my oversensitivity of this turning into a flame war at the door :)

I'm well aware that very few in this industry are looking out for our well being as vapers. That's why this topic is so important and the dialog here needs to continue.

humarock

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
MA
Great Point GoodDog. A really good trade organization for the vaping industry is what is needed here in the US(as ECITA is in the UK)as a start(kind of like what ECA was supposed to be at one point). This trade industry would be responsible for looking out for the consumer and reigning in suppliers with respect to issues like diacetyl. When I started vaping in June 2009, this seemed the direction in which things were headed here in the USA. Then it just all fell apart and the industry started to get overrun with suppliers literally crawling out of the woodwork. What happened????? I know the SE ,NJOY FDA case was always pending in the backround; but the UK also had it's share of Government intervention issues(and still does) but it seemed to be able to pull it's vaping industry together in a way the USA has not.

I think you would be the PERFECT person to spear head the trade organization. I have read every posting and you bring out some VERY good points and you got this ball rolling and all of us REALLY thinking...and it's true. I just started this venture and in my experience, after smoking the nasty analogs for 40 years and feeling helpless, am overjoyed that I haven't picked up one nasty analog since I started and I do NOT want to get unhealthier by ANY means....this could be life changing for millions of people BUT I think that we do need SOME type of protection. So what do you think? Ready for a career change? Being a pioneer? I'm voting you in.....anyone 2nd it? :O)

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
According to my research diacetyl occurs naturally in butter, and is released into the air when heated. I paid my way through college as a cook at a high-end restaurant for nearly 5 years. Almost all of our cooking involved butter, which means that I breathed in this stuff 8 hours a day/6 days a week during that time. That was 45+ years ago, and I don't have any of the symptoms outlined in the info I read. So, just knowing if it is used isn't enough, we would also have to know the quantity contained in the vapor from the juices we breath in - a very complex thing to analyze. Based upon the ratios of PG/VG and flavoring that are used in our juices, I would think that the amount of diacetyl, would be very small - smaller than the amount that I received standing over a skillet of sizzling butter for hours at a time. At any rate, we need far more information than just whether it is in some of the flavorings we use. And, we need to keep ourselves from over-reacting to a perceived threat that may or may not be real.

Last edited:

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
At any rate, we need far more information than just whether it is in some of the flavorings we use.

No, we really don't need any more information than that. It has been declared a dangerous substance that not just makes you sick, it makes you incurably sick, and as smokers/vapers, there's not a transplant list we'd get on, so essentially it causes a disease that kills. What more do you want? Testing? It's been done and deemed unsafe. They have not been able to determine a safe inhalation amount, and what we do goes beyond just picking it up in the air around us. And I understand your loyalty to your peeps, but to disregard a pretty extreme health risk- especially one that is as easily avoided by either using diacetyl-free products or at least acknowledging the diacetyl risk in the product description- just doesn't seem sensible. And frankly, I don't think you're doing the vendor you're defending a lot of favors by arguing that it's not all that dangerous. You're starting to sound a lot like the cigarette industry that we were hoping to save ourselves from.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
And for the record, the diacetyl in this discussion involves the stuff used to make artificial butter and butter flavored things, not the butter itself. Pulling a substance out of a safe substance, like diacetyl from butter, does not guarantee you're going to be left with a safe substance, as is evident in all the documentation of the risks of the inhalation of diacetyl.

Antwoord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
Just to kind of expand on what I was thinking when I wrote my earlier post, the testing that other countries possibly have done or could do may identify or resolve threats other than diacetyl. I was thinking about the whole scope of vaporizing artificial, and natural flavorings.

Right now there's not a whole lot I can do. I have MFS premixed flavors, as well as some Dekang stuff from LiteCig. When my unflavored juice gets here I'll try vaping just that until the dust settles.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@Mark
The best option would be safety/toxicity analysis studies to be run first on pre-clinical animal models then human clinical studies. This is, most likely, years away from occurring. I agree with the US thing completely, I'd much rather be a vaper living in the UK right now (and I hear the weather's lovely).

Yes, at least there are *some* lab tests done on UK products. This system isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. The ideal would probably be the current TS testing regime plus a trade body with compulsory testing for its members' products at preset intervals.

Did you know the FDA have actively prevented clinical trials on ecigs, by the way? I'm sure that helps to instill even more confidence in them. Don't worry, the MHRA over here are similarly competent. And yes, the weather here is good for some reason, no idea why.

@Banjo
I only know of two suppliers who maintain a proper lab testing sked on their product, eSmoke in the US and Intellicig in the UK. To be honest it costs them a great deal of money, although I believe that their particular schedules are perhaps overly comprehensive. I would hope that a trade body could negotiate volume discounts. I'm not sure about the Chinese manufacturers, one or two of them operate to the same high standard according to various people in a position to know. You can't make a blanket statement about industries over there because some are obviously competent, and some Chinese industries are among the worst in the world, with thousands of deaths from deliberate contamination for the purpose of dumping wrongly-bought materials. You can't have much confidence in materials sourced from a country where they can actually contemplate dumping plastics manufacturing ingredients in baby milk formula in order to just use the stuff up. That wouldn't play over here, thankfully, so it basically means you have to rely on the individual factory's own ethics. OK so I guess it's the same here, in reality, as there is little or no regulation.

@PaulC
We know that regular inhalation of diacetyl causes permanent lung damage. We know that the flavor industry knew about this in 1994 due to illness among their own staff, but kept quiet about it and did not even note contra-indications or safety measures on their packaging until large numbers of people in industries down the line fell ill and the issue could no longer be covered up (see the oral evidence given to the OHSA hearings on YouTube linked in a previous post).

The question is - how much is too much? Nobody knows. Apparently if you're a regular popcorn eater you need to be worried, though - so it can't be that much... Same as for paraffin, if you use it as a regular laxative then you are in danger of breathing in enough to contract a lung condition.

@SimpleSins
I'm just curious as to your take on things, Roly, since you do seem to have a pragmatic and reasoned view of safety. Do you feel that vaping diacetyl all day is safer than cigarette smoking? Since it is a component of several different flavors, it's easy to envision vaping it in one flavor or another over the course of an entire day, several days a week. So is vaping still better than cigarettes at that point?

I can't possibly answer that, SS, because the fact of the matter is that there is nobody in the world who knows the answer to that question. It is, of course, exactly the sort of thing that government agencies who are ostensibly tasked with looking after public safety should be working on - but good luck with that.

You could take the personal decision that:
1. Any amount is too much. We shouldn't be inhaling any diacetyl at all. Or paraffin of course. Or some other stuff we don't yet know about, in all probability.
2. Or: We should try to minimise the amounts of these contaminants, eliminating them entirely is just not possible given the unregulated state of the industry at present.
3. Or: the amounts we inhale are so tiny they can't hurt.

I go for #2 but the decision has to be yours alone. I'm fairly old now so basically it doesn't matter that much. If I were young, and especially with a young family, I might go for #1 - but how to ensure that without just using unflavored liquid, I don't know. DIY is fairly safe even with flavors, if you stick to 100% natural ingredients like pure plant extracts. I've been hitting pure peppermint oil hard for nearly a year and have no qualms at all about doing that.

Nothing is absolutely safe though - for example even non-smokers are exposed to nicotine, there are measurable levels in tomatoes additional to the natural content, especially in ketchup, and in tea, believe it or not, due to residual pesticide levels that include nicotine. Whatever you consume in an urban environment is contaminated in some way.

As far as option #3 goes, I don't believe this can be correct, since apparently workers exposed to very low levels but on a regular basis have contracted lung disease from diacetyl.

One answer is: show me the lab tests. Show me the results of tests that *specifically* looked for things like paraffin, diacetyl, and acrolein after heating. I don't think there is such a thing as a safe level of inhalation for those materials.

Until suppliers get real and have their stuff tested properly - we just don't know. All the promises and assurances in the world are worth precisely nothing without the hard evidence - lab tests. All you can do is source from someone who at least knows what the problems are and has probably done what they can to eliminate them. There aren't many of those, as that level of knowledge is beyond 99% of suppliers. All most suppliers do is get an assurance from their flavor supplier. You can decide what that's worth.

@Fiddles
When my unflavored juice gets here I'll try vaping just that until the dust settles.

There won't be any answers on this for years, since governments are doing everything they can to block ecigs, and the trade as a whole has no interest in spending money to assuage buyer's fears since people grab the product as fast as they can stack it on the shelves. You can start an ecig company now and get to over $1m turnover in Year 1 if you know what you're doing. It's a sellers' market.

People who are actively concerned about these issues try to buy from suppliers who have shown some sort of inclination toward making quality control more than just a promise. There are some names in this thread of the more responsible/knowledgeable ones, it's your choice.

Don't ask me to comment on who is good or not. Just ask for the lab tests.

You say your product is good? Prove it. :)

Last edited:

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hey, OP Jeff -- according to your post #1, you were going to send your letter out to several vendors. Have you done that yet? If so, can you post the company name and that company's reply now that this concern is finally out in the open? It's absolutely appropriate that we, as consumers and customers, demand to know what our dollar is buying and what we are taking into our lungs.

Is there any reason that anyone sees to be all secretive about what flavors and ingredients vendors use and how suppliers reply if they're not State and/or FDA-registered? If a vendor replies that they are registered by their state's health and safety codes, all we need to do is ask them for their registration number and check it out with the state. Nothing wrong with that.

Also I think if vendors refuse to provide the information requested, we have a right to keep a LIST of them as refusing to do so. A LIST that we can keep on a sticky or available elsewhere on ECF. I think ECF would love that -- all of us wanting to be safe consumers and avoiding all possible danger. It would certainly put ECF in a favorable light.

If the vendors refuse to cooperate, we can state someting similar to the Surgeon's General warning on cigarette packages: May be hazardous to your health! Vape at your own risk!

Anyway, Jeff, did you send them? Please and thank you.

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
And frankly, I don't think you're doing the vendor you're defending a lot of favors by arguing that it's not all that dangerous.

If you read all of my posts on this subject, you will find that I have never mentioned a specific supplier (although others have), so you are inferring something that cannot be documented by anything I've posted. Second, I am not trying to undermine the possible danger of diacetyl, I am only trying to suggest that none of us really knows if it presents a real danger to anyone who vapes an unknown amount of it in their juice, and that we should keep our stridency on this subject in check until all of the facts are known. For example: is there really a difference between the diacetyl found naturally in butter and the diacetyl used in flavorings when both are heated and released as vapor? Not trying to start an argument here, but a lot of stuff is being put forth as fact, when facts are sorely lacking. We need some chemists & medical people to intercede here, so we all can go back to being our friendly selves.

Last edited:

Jeff Eaton

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Hobe sound
www.wordupecig.com
We are dealing with that as we speak and they have no right to tell her what to do other than what is illegal and as of right now dispensing eliquid is Not illegal.
We have gone to get an eliquid/Nicotine dispensing separately with her credentials and they denied her so we are taking legal action I am sure if it goes far enough you all will hear about it.
Thanks for looking out for her and caring

Well they are all yelling because I am working on the laptop while everyone else is moving office furniture "lol" well got to go help I will be back in a day or so

Last edited:

JeffTM

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Chatsworth, CA
Wow, this thread has really taken off. Glad to see everyone is taking this topic seriously and remaining civil with each other. Remember that we essentially have zero scientifically proven information about the health effects of vaping. Any speculation, regardless of how educated, is still speculation. Naturally, many of us will have different thoughts about how potentially dangerous certain chemicals are, which is completely OK in my opinion, just so long as we respect each other's thoughts and continue the discussion with each other and with suppliers.

Hey, OP Jeff -- according to your post #1, you were going to send your letter out to several vendors. Have you done that yet? If so, can you post the company name and that company's reply now that this concern is finally out in the open? It's absolutely appropriate that we, as consumers and customers, demand to know what our dollar is buying and what we are taking into our lungs.

Is there any reason that anyone sees to be all secretive about what flavors and ingredients vendors use and how suppliers reply if they're not State and/or FDA-registered? If a vendor replies that they are registered by their state's health and safety codes, all we need to do is ask them for their registration number and check it out with the state. Nothing wrong with that.

Also I think if vendors refuse to provide the information requested, we have a right to keep a LIST of them as refusing to do so. A LIST that we can keep on a sticky or available elsewhere on ECF. I think ECF would love that -- all of us wanting to be safe consumers and avoiding all possible danger. It would certainly put ECF in a favorable light.

If the vendors refuse to cooperate, we can state someting similar to the Surgeon's General warning on cigarette packages: May be hazardous to your health! Vape at your own risk!

Anyway, Jeff, did you send them? Please and thank you.

I only posted this thread yesterday and was not able to send out any emails until today, so I definitely haven't gotten any responses. I have, however, emailed the following companies:

Health Cabin
VaporBomb
Madvapes
FSUSA
Liberty-Flights
Eliquidplanet

I'm glad to see others have contacted suppliers with this concern. Hopefully it makes a difference.

I just wish straight PG and nicotine was DELICIOUS.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
........ For example: is there really a difference between the diacetyl found naturally in butter and the diacetyl used in flavorings when both are heated and released as vapor? Not trying to start an argument here, but a lot of stuff is being put forth as fact, when facts are sorely lacking. We need some chemists & medical people to intercede here, so we all can go back to being our friendly selves.

Sure.

From the various materials published it looks very much as if the synthetic, concentrated form of the material is harmful but not the natural form. I couldn't find any references at all to natural butter being harmful, even though people in some trades have most likely near enough drowned in hot butter. It looks very much as if the synthesized version is the problem. And according to some versions it didn't take that much of it to cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread