Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
When I started having "Dry Hits" with my Lemo a guy suggested building a larger ID coil (3.4 mm) and using a bigger wick to stop the dry hits. It worked like a charm on the Lemo,so I applied the same idea to the V4 when I built it. The wicks act like a hose,and the bigger they are,the more juice they will feed to the coil.

I've been using the three 3mm pieces of Silica in my kayfun lites before using it in the KF4's. I just keep making them bigger and bigger. Never a dry hit and flavor is perfect. Don't think I can go any bigger...

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
I always thought it was the Nicotine that caused harsh hits. Also the space between the coils and air hole.

The Nic,and PG in high levels cause a harder TH. VG (as a rule) is sweet tasting,makes clouds,and is smoother than PG. PG is a great flavor carrier,so if you use more PG you can cut back on the flavoring percentages in your juice. A lot of guy (and Gals) like a harsh throat Hit,I don't! I want my vape to be smooth and mello!:)

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Been Vaping for over 4 years and never heard of that.

I always thought it was the Nicotine that caused harsh hits. Also the space between the coils and air hole.

There are many factors that will cause a harsher hit (throat hit). This includes nic %, PG %, wattage and coil spacing off of air hole.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Yeah,TD!:) I'm still on the "learning curve"! I also drilled out the tube while I had it apart,and the draw is much better now. I think I'm gonna like this tank after all!
Besides opening the center post to 7/64", I also opened the six center post side holes, from 1mm (~0.039”) to 1.1mm (~0.043”, used a #57 drill bit). I left the radial air holes in the juice control ring as-is, they're sufficient for the diameter of the center post IMO. After these mods, the air control is actually needed- I found the draw to be a little too airy for my liking. Fortunately drilling the center post didn't damage the threads in the post ID used for the air control screw. None of the insulators were changed because I don't plan on any serious subohming w/a Kayfun.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Lol colbalt. I got the vaportek s kit and found the airflow lacking. Saw you post your mods earlier and got excited and ordered the same #57 bit. Alas, the vaportek s kit center pin side holes are already slightly bigger than that. :/ might need to get something around 1.3 or 1.4 mm

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Lol colbalt. I got the vaportek s kit and found the airflow lacking. Saw you post your mods earlier and got excited and ordered the same #57 bit. Alas, the vaportek s kit center pin side holes are already slightly bigger than that. :/ might need to get something around 1.3 or 1.4 mm

Now you have me excited and want to order a vaportek s kit. :p

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
Drilling out the tube will make a slight difference in the draw,and it was just enough to make the V4 draw "loose enough" for me,without killing the flavor. I also ordered the kit from FT so I will give it a try too. It's almost perfect right now,so I may not make any changes to it. Right now I'm vaping my DIY Mellon Madness,and the flavor is outstanding.:)

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA

I will add that info to any future posts I might make on that subject. Doesn't help you, though- and for that I apologize. :(

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
I will add that info to any future posts I might make on that subject. Doesn't help you, though- and for that I apologize. :(

Oh no you're fine! Any input is appreciated. For $2 bucks I got 10 bits, and now know exactly what size I need now :D

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Trying my KF4's with the Polycarbonate tanks. Looks like they hold a lot less liquid tho. Feels lighter too.
For some reason I didn't like the poly at first and preferred stock with glass... But once I flipped over to the poly, it's the only way I like to rock it.

They say it's only like 0.2 or something ml less, but seems like more. I'd kill for like a slightly longer 5ml KF4.

Btw - seems like rayon is a winner for me Ricks. Built like Q's video and performing great. Just don't like the small capacity....

-Sent via Tapatalk

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
I've never got around to trying the all stainless or the stainless/glass tank setups on my v4, always been the polycarbonate tank so I guess I don't know if I've been missing anything. FWIW I recently started using a Lemo Drop and an Aqua v1 and have been using a couple Aqua v2s and a couple KFL+v2s for a while now- but my KFv4 is still in steady use and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
I swear I don't belive it's only like 0.15 ml less... Lol

127cea29623ad755c674ecefd8ec01bc.jpg

-Sent via Tapatalk

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
So I've been rocking a Tobeco with a 4S kit for the last couple months and am mostly happy with it, once I got #9 to behave and worked out the crunchy threads on #28. No problems with the o-rings at all. Had some wicking and flavor challenges, but life got better once I started using 70% VG instead of Max VG in it.

But that damned juice control and nickel builds was getting on my nerves, and using the 4S kit precluded the easy fix of reversing the airflow screw. Didn't want to sink more than the price of this clone in a Steam Tuners fix (after shipping) and didn't have high hopes that the gold OEM spring would solve the problem either.

So I just started filling with the JC open, using the glass tank mostly. Remove fill cap, fill, thread cap on partially, invert for a few seconds and tighten cap fully while inverted. No flooding or gurgling at all. I do generally use 3mm ID coils so there's a fair amount of cotton in there, and with temp control I generally wait until I'm kinda dry and can't see any juice in through the glass before filling, so that helps sop up that initial fill.

Anyway, now that I don't have to worry about resistance shifts, or a stubborn JC ring, I'm liking this thing a whole lot more.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
How about 6ml?

I've been using this for the last week or two and am loving it: SvoeMesto Kayfun V4 long glass tank kit - Cloud 9 Vaping
Good suggestion - it just makes an already long atty that much longer.

I also have glass anxiety. Haha. Just worried I'll break it and walk around like my device is crystal stemware (not that I have any crystal stemware - but you get the idea - haha).

-Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread