Attack of the (Kayfun v4) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
It's not sub ohming that is the problem, but the wattage. The stock insulator on the deck is not up to high temps. I have seen no reports as to what those temps might be. The s-kit has an enhanced insulator, but, again, I've seen no reports as to what the increase in temp tolerance might be and I have no idea what the temp tolerance of a clone might be.

Don't bother me - I never take my K4 above 15w. Test it - if you can get a build that tolerates 50w check if it melts the insulator :) Seems to me that the primary limiting factors here are the juice flow and air flow.
I've got the juice flow problem fixed with "larger wicks". I wind my coils around a 3.4 mm screwdriver shank. The larger wick going through the coil,feeds the juice well,so no dry hits. The airflow is another matter!

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
I was doing 1.2 ohm twisted 30g kanthal builds. 15-18W. Airflow is limited to me, so any more than that wasn't ideal for me.

I've been doing nickel builds on mine recently, .10-.15 ohm 28g ni200 generally, 20-25W, 400-430F.
I guess the stock insulator is holding up well?

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
I just tore it down,and gave it a good cleaning in the ultrasonic,and rebuilt the coil to 1.2 ohms. I'm running it at 22.5 watts with 30/70 PG/VG juice and it's really chucking out the flavor and clouds. I added a little more juice to the tank and forgot to close the juice valve. I got some flooding,but closed the valve again and vaped it,until the gurgle went away. I guess anytime you add juice to the tank,you have to close the valve? It seems to work well with the heavier VG juice (and I would have bet,it wouldn't). 001 (25).jpg

Last edited:

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I just tore it down,and gave it a good cleaning in the ultrasonic,and rebuilt the coil to 1.2 ohms. I'm running it at 22.5 watts with 30/70 PG/VG juice and it's really chucking out the flavor and clouds. I added a little more juice to the tank and forgot to close the juice valve. I got some flooding,but closed the valve again and vaped it,until the gurgle went away. I guess anytime you add juice to the tank,you have to close the valve? It seems to work well with the heavier VG juice (and I would have bet,it wouldn't).

Yep, just close the juice control off, then open the top, fill her up, close the top and open the juice control. Its pretty seamless once you get used to it. Basically unscrew, unscrew, fill, screw, screw.

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
I'm trying 5 pieces of 2mm Ekowool wrapped 6 times with 30g Kanthal. It's pretty big and tasting great at 10w so far. I use 100% PG liquids. I'm finding bigger is definitely better in my KF4's
When I started having "Dry Hits" with my Lemo a guy suggested building a larger ID coil (3.4 mm) and using a bigger wick to stop the dry hits. It worked like a charm on the Lemo,so I applied the same idea to the V4 when I built it. The wicks act like a hose,and the bigger they are,the more juice they will feed to the coil.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I'm trying 5 pieces of 2mm Ekowool wrapped 6 times with 30g Kanthal. It's pretty big and tasting great at 10w so far. I use 100% PG liquids. I'm finding bigger is definitely better in my KF4's

I don't know how you can do that man, I can't even do 50/50 anymore, that much PG doesn't settle well for me.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I don't know how you can do that man, I can't even do 50/50 anymore, that much PG doesn't settle well for me.

Way too harsh for me also!:blink: 30/70 is my go to base in all my juice!:)

I don't like the taste I get with VG. PG isn't harsh for me. I never heard that before.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I don't like the taste I get with VG. PG isn't harsh for me. I never heard that before.

Never heard that before? It's one of the first things told to newbies if they are getting too harsh of a hit. Lower the PG. I can take about 50% PG but that's it and I prefer 20-30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread