Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Influence

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2014
France
Just find this great thread. Very surprised by the lack of participation from the NET lovers

Like johni or Str8vision, I was on the strong tobaccos when started my extractions (usually english blends) but as the final result was quite similar in taste, moved to more unique ones. In the end I much prefer vaping 10 different NET's rather than 10 similar ones...

Reactions: Winblows

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've extracted the majority of Tatiana's offerings and haven't found one I didn't like. The Honey, Vanilla and Groovy Blue are the only Cigar juices in my rotation along with Acid Blonde. I just decanted SG's XX and I have full 30 ml bottles of Louisiana Red, Billy Budd and Luxury Flake that are at least 2 months steeped. My Voo Doo Queen is way older so I may go back and try it again.

As far as Pipe Blends go my favorites right now are :

Cornell & Diehl Pennington Gap
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Kranz ( from Bill )
American Spirit Perique ( This surprised the hell out of me. Truly exceptional. )
SPC Mississippi River
Ashton Artisan

Reading the review on tobaccoreviews.com. this sounds like some potent stuff. What nic strength would you mix something like this? I guess coil life is pretty low too? All last week I was stuck on a Titiana Rum that I mixed up. Couldn't put it down til I mixed up a bottle of Cornell & Diehl Habana Daydream #420. Love this stuff. Coil life has actually been pretty decent, especially with the Titania Cigar. Plan on more cigars coming up. Good stuff.

I've been loving some McClelland No. 2015 Virginia Flake and Perique. It's my first VaPer so I can't compare. I can say there's a nice tang and plum flavor from the Perique. Then there's the sweetness from the Virginia. It seems well balanced. It's complex like a good wine or coffee. I do get a bit of the ketchupy aroma and flavor, mentioned by dave51 on page 1, from tasting the extract but not from vaping it.

Voodoo Queen got dumped. It reminded me of my experience with lapsang souchong. I was really thinking I would like the English blends.

I'm not sure what I think of Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride yet. The taste of the extract is very nice but the vapor tastes a little odd so far. Same with NAS Perique, the extract tasted like the smell of a freshly opened pack. I'll just have to wait to see if some aging changes things.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
from p&c........

Erin Go Bragh - Irish Whiskey

"Pipe smoking and silky smooth whiskey have long been associated with Ireland, so what could possibly be better than bringing them both together in one superb package. With that in mind, we proudly introduce Erin Go Bragh pipe tobacco. American and African Virginias are expertly combined with pleasantly sweet black Cavendish and a wonderful mellow toasted Burley, and then the mixture is finished with the magnificent flavor of Irish Whiskey. The aroma is beguiling and the flavor is rich, but exceptionally subtle. Here’s a taste of the Old Sod- Erin Go Bragh."

Really starting to enjoy this one. Been steeping about a month. Smooth, very satisfying smok. May mix up another bottle and add just a dash of Perique to give it just a little bite!

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I mixed up some McClelland Coyote Classic, Sutliff PS Charlemagne and Tatiana Fusion Frenzy about three days ago. The Coyote was great, the Fusion Frenzy tasted a lot like Groovy Blue. The Charlemagne, I think, needs more steeping as I didn't get much from it. Tasted like base liquid. Coyote will probably go into my top five English blends if it holds up over the long haul.

Str8Vision what flavor ratio did you use mixing up your Charlemagne? I used my standard 20% as a benchmark.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I mixed up some McClelland Coyote Classic, Sutliff PS Charlemagne and Tatiana Fusion Frenzy about three days ago. The Coyote was great, the Fusion Frenzy tasted a lot like Groovy Blue. The Charlemagne, I think, needs more steeping as I didn't get much from it. Tasted like base liquid. Coyote will probably go into my top five English blends if it holds up over the long haul.

Str8Vision what flavor ratio did you use mixing up your Charlemagne? I used my standard 20% as a benchmark.

15% but my Charlemagne is concentrated, produced by a hybrid PGA/PG dual extraction process I'm tweaking. The yield from a room temperature PGA maceration mixed with the yield from a heat assisted PG maceration. After the blending process all PGA was evaporated off. The resulting extract is very intense and robust. I'll post details on this extraction process sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

Cat ji

May 24, 2014
South Africa
...I fully agree that aging often improves the flavor extracted from tobacco, in some instances I've noticed the improvement is nothing short of stellar. Two of my favorites (Voodoo Queen and Louisiana Red), tasted rather anemic right after extraction and required "months" of aging/steeping before reaching their prime.

You mean aging the extracts or steeping the mixed juices?

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Something that has often puzzled me is that my favourite - Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake - is listed as a straight Virginia, but I taste a fruit in there like peach or plum, which is often attributed to Perique. I am such a noob at tobacco's though, barely know what I'm talking about. I will try to get some of this Elizabethan Mixture and see how it goes, I love a good Virginia or Va/Per either way. Not sure if I can import a tin of tobacco, usually I only choose tobacco's that are available in bulk. Time to try the tin imports. At worst it'll cost up to $1 per gram, still cheap compared to buying flavoured juice.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Virginia can take on so many different flavor nuances depending on the curing process that is used. I'm currently eyeing Daughters & Ryan "Three Sails" which looks to be a very robust blend of Virginia tobaccos. I doubt I would like it on its own but might mix it with McClelland Blending Perique to create a custom VaPer. It's going to be hard for me to beat the Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture" which for my taste is better than H&H "Louisiana Red" my - previous - favorite VaPer for extraction.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I did get some Elizabethan mixture and extracted it, for something 2 weeks old, its nice! Looking forward to vaping it after it has aged a bit. Straight up it seems quite similar to Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake that I mentioned before, I recommend you try that one if you haven't already (it extracts best with some pga in the solvent).

Tall Mike

Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Shreveport, La, US
Hi everyone. I've just started this adventure and have a couple questions if you dont mind. So far, Ive just extracted some Lane 1Q in pg. I did a few short microwavings of it while it sat a few days. I dont think it really ever got very hot. I did that from what I read in a thread when I first looked into this. The juice extract looks as it should, and taste good from a drop on my finger. I mixed it at 20%. I heat steeped the mixed juice at low temps and this is one of my questions...I'm sure time is the best option, but does heat steeping the mixed juice negatively affect anything? I was just wanting to hurry things as I'm just starting. So after heat steeping 4 hours and sitting overnight, I get mostly grassy/hay taste. It's not really unpleasant or anything, I was just expecting a different taste. I'm not sure if it's supposed to taste like this somewhat, if just needs time to steep, or if I have done something wrong, like not letting it extract long enough. I've had a couple net's, but they where mostly mixed with other flavors already. And I've mixed up one from MVJ (plum pudding) and dont get grassy notes, but it's well steeped. I believe from now on I'll either just do cold mac or heat assisted in mason jars with a crock pot, and no heat steeping the mixed product. Thanks, and I'm excited to join this adventure.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Tall Mike, Lane 1Q is a blend of Virginia and Cavendish tobaccos and my experience has been that certain (but not all), Virginia tobaccos can produce a straw/hay like grassy note when extracted. I believe it depends on the curing process used on the tobacco. It has been almost two years since I extracted any 1Q but I don't remember it having a grassy flavor nuance. I don't think heat aging a mixed extract would have a negative impact on flavor as long as the temperature wasn't too high. I haven't extracted tobacco using a microwave so can't really provide any feedback on that approach. Canning jars in a crock pot sounds like a good idea, I've had a lot of success performing heat assisted extractions using those. Here's a link to a thread detailing crock pot extraction of tobacco Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea | E-Cigarette Forum Here's a link to information for cold extractions Cold maceration of tobacco | E-Cigarette Forum Either method produces great results but cold extractions requires time (months for best flavor). Have fun, and be sure to post your results.

Tall Mike

Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Shreveport, La, US
Tall Mike, Lane 1Q is a blend of Virginia and Cavendish tobaccos and my experience has been that certain (but not all), Virginia tobaccos can produce a straw/hay like grassy note when extracted. I believe it depends on the curing process used on the tobacco. It has been almost two years since I extracted any 1Q but I don't remember it having a grassy flavor nuance. I don't think heat aging a mixed extract would have a negative impact on flavor as long as the temperature wasn't too high. I haven't extracted tobacco using a microwave so can't really provide any feedback on that approach. Canning jars in a crock pot sounds like a good idea, I've had a lot of success performing heat assisted extractions using those. Here's a link to a thread detailing crock pot extraction of tobacco Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea | E-Cigarette Forum Here's a link to information for cold extractions Cold maceration of tobacco | E-Cigarette Forum Either method produces great results but cold extractions requires time (months for best flavor). Have fun, and be sure to post your results.

Thanks. I definitely like the flavor I'm getting, and I realize it should only improve with time. I just thought I remember seeing somewhere that a grassy note could come out when things where heated too much. But like I said, I dont think this ever got very hot, especially during the extraction, so I was just wondering for future reference. I've been reading the cold maceration thread and have read somewhat about heat assisted. I saw the microwave thing in Pipe tobacco and Cigar extraction | E-Cigarette Forum which was the first thread on this topic that I read. I'm looking on Pipes and cigars . com right now for some new tobaccos. So far they only have the Signature 1.5 oz tins of a couple of the ones I want to try, like Louisiana Red, and I dont want to spend 7.50 on them if they'll have the bulk 1 oz packs in stock at some point. anyway, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread