Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Tall Mike, Lane 1-Q is one that I find takes at least 2 months steeping before it starts to taste like it should, 3 months is better.

If you want a fast extraction method and something that vapes OK with minimal steeping you could try this -
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Samuel Gawith St James Flake, do a one week cold maceration with a solvent of 80% PG and 20% PGA, or for a hot maceration, say 6 hours hot at around 150F. After filtering, evaporate off the alcohol if you want. Try to disturb the tobacco as little as possible. This has worked for me many times in the past.

Reactions: Str8vision

Tall Mike

Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Shreveport, La, US
So the Lane 1Q turned out well. I vaped what I had mixed up so it didn't steep that long. I'm filtering the remaining extract down to 1.5 before I mix more up, and I'll let that steep fully. I'm getting ready to try the St James flake. Seems like it will be good. I have some other stuff sitting/aging now, so if I find any winners I'll post them here. I'd like to get a recommendation on a couple good cigars to start with. I know nothing about them. I'd like to try maybe 1 flavored and 1 unflavored to start. Preferably under 10$. For flavored, I'm thinking something from Tatiana or the Acid line, but I'm open to others if you have a favorite. As far as unflavored, I have no idea where to start. I might not like them, but want to check it out. Thanks for you info and for sharing your experience.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
My best cigar, not that I did many (maybe 4 or 5) was a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage (as opposed to a 1992 vintage or some other vintage). This was Billherbst's favourite cigar, that's why I tried it. I was very happy with it. They take longer to extract the flavour from. I usually aim for 4 times as long as a pipe or cigarette tobacco extraction.

Tall Mike

Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Shreveport, La, US
My best cigar, not that I did many (maybe 4 or 5) was a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage (as opposed to a 1992 vintage or some other vintage). This was Billherbst's favourite cigar, that's why I tried it. I was very happy with it. They take longer to extract the flavour from. I usually aim for 4 times as long as a pipe or cigarette tobacco extraction.
Thanks. I'll do that and something from Tatiana I think.

Last edited:

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
After Str8's recent posts on vanilla bean extraction I got curious and looked around for some vanilla pipe tobaccos to try. Mainly because I am not inclined enough to do my own vanilla bean extraction, though I love reading about these types of extractions, and I love vanilla.

So, after some searching around and reading up on about 15 to 20 different vanilla blends that I could get my hands on, from 4noggins.com I ordered some Peter Stokkebye - Sweet Vanilla and from SmokingPipes.com I got some Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream. Definitely a good result from both with a deep earthy woody sort of vanilla flavor, and strong flavor overall from these tobaccos (meaning - they extract well). The vanilla comes out surprisingly strong in the extraction, its not a background or supporting flavor, its right there with the tobacco flavor.

Also I got some Charles Fairmorn - Lancer's Slices and this seems to have a vanilla presence although the review I read says there is no flavoring added, so that's a surprise. Maybe the vanilla they add goes up in smoke once you light it ;) It's a good tobacco to extract, also recommended.

Another recent one I like is B&B Tobacconists - Beck's Ol' Limey ......., I haven't spent much time with it but it is a good one if you like smokey English pipe taste, its the fire-curing (or should it be smoke-curing) which really does it for me. Another good example of the smoke-cured is White Ox but I haven't seen it for sale overseas, I think its an Oz thing, its a good blend for extraction.

These four extractions were done at room temp in 80% PG and 20% PGA for about 10 days. I like this method for its simplicity and the balance of taste from the PG/PGA mix. For a while I was using 10%PGA but bumping it back up to 20% is much better (for my taste buds).

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

I've not tried extracting a Rocky Patel vintage '90 but also remember Billherbst's admiration of the flavor extracted from them. Think I will pick up a couple and play around with extracting one in hot ethanol this Winter.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Yes that would be well worthwhile. Just a quick note the Charles Fairmorn - Lancer's Slices and the two vanilla blends mentioned above have turned out exceptionally well.

Sounds great, can you describe the vanilla flavor? I really enjoy vanilla tobacco but to this point have mixed mine in after the extraction process using flavorings.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I'm terrible at describing flavors. I rewicked 2 devices for a taste comparison between Peter Stokkebye - Sweet Vanilla and Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream. The sweet vanilla is just a bit "darker". Neither are like a candy or sweet vanilla, they have what I would call a fair bit of depth and warmth, possibly helped by the tobacco undertone. They are both in a similar vein and I might have trouble telling them apart in a blind test.

Lancer's Slices also has a strong vanilla content and I liken it to Lane -1Q on steriods, while Lane -1Q is nice and mild (almost subtle perhaps) with a predominant smooth Virginia flavour, Lancer's Slices are quite bold.

All 3 were extracted at room temp in 80% PG and 20% PGA for about 10 days.

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA

After Billherbst helped to get me going (and I got some of his RP 1990), I've done that cigar twice with very good results and it remains one of my favorite "go to's". I also highly recommend a RP 2008 Autumn Reserve in the lighter wrapper. Those two stand out among the 15 different ones that I've done. I am finding that 5 days in a slow cooker at around 125 degrees does the trick for me. I've done some cycling experiments where I alternated heat and room temperature but can't honestly say that I can tell any difference. I'm still filtering once through an Aeropress coffee filter followed by a 2 micron in the Aeropress with pretty good results. I exchanged emails with Mr. Herbst, btw, and he has moved on to custards with little to no nicotine. I don't hold that against him and still find him to be an amazing character and a good man.:thumb:

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA
Funny how our tastes change a bit over time and experience. I've gone from 18-20mg down to 12 recently. Just a gradual reduction and I may go down some more. I don't know if it's better attys (erlkonigin for me)? I see that many subohmer's reduce way down. I have a SX mini and use nickel and Ti, but still some kanthal too, all with KGD cotton and a fresh wick each tank.

I also used to really like various pipe tobacco's, but have kind of gone back to my own cigar extractions and am pretty happy. I'll try some custards or deserts here soon. I've gone from three or more burning cigars a day down to three a month. I don't even need the latest new thing as much as I used to and seem to have settled in. For now.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I had to drastically reduce the nic in my NETs when I ventured deep into sub ohm territory. I don't foresee a day when I would be totally nic free, enjoy the throat hit too much but 3 mg is a possibility. At 0.4 ohms 6-9 mg hits pretty hard and that's what I need/enjoy. Above 0.7 ohms I would require 12mg just for the TH.

I never vape just NET, always have other flavorings added making it somewhat desert like but with the tobacco -well- out front.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
When I first started using a kayfun I had to drastically cut down my nic from 18mg to 9mg. I further cut it down to 4.5 mg by lowering my ohms. I bet however that the actual nic level in my blood has not come down as much since the device I am now using is much more efficient in delivering nic.

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA
I'll bet that you are correct and it's funny how it may not be as much the math as listening to our satisfaction factor (what ever that is). I know for a fact that I vape more when I drink more and I try to keep both in some sort of moderation. I remain convinced that this is a better alternative and the forums are an absolute bonus.

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Agree with many of the tobacco suggestions on this thread. Here are some that I haven't seen mentioned:

Sutliff Molto Doce: heavenly sweet aromatic, almost like Ahlusion's Smooth Criminal (renamed Godfather)

Snow Drift: From P&C Russ' Monthly Blends. An occasional but thoroughly enjoyable vape. I can see my self reaching for it more in the coming cold months.

GH Sweet Coconut Twist: now this advertises itself as an aromatic, but I can't really detect any coconut. The description also says its a Cavendish base but for me it expels robust earthy, spicy and leathery notes, more akin to GH's burley and fire-cured burley blends. So the overall taste is more like a non-aromatic. To me it tastes like a deep, haunting tobacco (but not in a Latakia way). Its been one of my favs lately. Highly recommended.

A couple blends I've just begun a cold-steep, and which I'm looking forward to trying:

Brumeuse Semois: Yes the $25 Burley brick from a grower in Belgium.
H&H Mazatec: a mild-medium English blend that some reviewers on P&C have described as "mushroomy". Intriguing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread