Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Just started back vaping some well aged NET blends. Found these in the drawer when I was weeding out a bunch of old retail juices I gave up on long ago. I guess their at least 8 months old or more, but they are nice. What I really like about some of the NET's is that slight lingering smoky tobacco bitterness on the back of the tongue and throat, (not to be confused with throat hit), that they leave. Can't wait for the coffee to brew in the mornings.

Solani Aged Burley Flake No. 656 - 4%
Dunhill The Royal Yacht - 3%
American Spirit Organic (Gold) - 2%

12 mg nic 50/50

and

American Spirit Organic (Gold) - 7%
McClellands Blending Oriental - 6%

13mg nic 50/50

and

Orlik Golden Sliced - 7%
McClellands Blending Oriental - 6%

13 mg nic 50/50

I gotta say the American Spirit Organic and Oriental Blend is one of my favorite extracts to date. Really dry, both on the inhale and exhale with nice rich tobacco nuttiness. I really feel kinda guilty vaping this stuff. The sad thing is it's almost gone.

Would highly recommend extracting not only blended tobacco's but single varieties also, that you can blend yourself. And if you have the patience, mix up some for a long rest. Finishing up some filtering tonight. Think I'll spend this weekend blending.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I gotta say the American Spirit Organic and Oriental Blend is one of my favorite extracts to date.

Would highly recommend extracting not only blended tobacco's but single varieties also, that you can blend yourself. And if you have the patience, mix up some for a long rest.

There is a NET called American Spirit sold online. Is that the one you are referring to or is it self extracted? Where is the tobacco sold? I have some Broad Leaf Virginia leaves currently under extraction. Would like to blend it with American Spirit.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
There is a NET called American Spirit sold online. Is that the one you are referring to or is it self extracted? Where is the tobacco sold? I have some Broad Leaf Virginia leaves currently under extraction. Would like to blend it with American Spirit.

Believe it or not but I just picked a couple or three packs of the American Spirit Organic Gold cigarettes removed the tobacco and did the extraction myself. I ended up with almost 4 oz of extract. I did a heat assist ( I modified my food dehydrator to accept 4x 8 or 12 oz mason jars) 150 degrees for 24 hrs and 5 weeks cold soak. And it's some potent s@#!. The heat may have contributed to the toasted nuttiness it has. Not sure though, because I've done a lot of heat assisted extracts that didn't have this level of nuttiness. And not sure what the blend is for this brand of cigarette. The age of the extract could also be some of it. At the time I mixed it I used 13% extract but will cut back to probably 7 or 8 %. Maybe it will help on the gunk but I don't think the flavor will suffer. I had found a site that carried bulk roll your own pouches but can't find it. If I can find it I will put it up.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Believe it or not but I just picked a couple or three packs of the American Spirit Organic Gold cigarettes removed the tobacco and did the extraction myself. I ended up with almost 4 oz of extract. I did a heat assist ( I modified my food dehydrator to accept 4x 8 or 12 oz mason jars) 150 degrees for 24 hrs and 5 weeks cold soak. And it's some potent s@#!. The heat may have contributed to the toasted nuttiness it has. Not sure though, because I've done a lot of heat assisted extracts that didn't have this level of nuttiness. And not sure what the blend is for this brand of cigarette. The age of the extract could also be some of it. At the time I mixed it I used 13% extract but will cut back to probably 7 or 8 %. Maybe it will help on the gunk but I don't think the flavor will suffer. I had found a site that carried bulk roll your own pouches but can't find it. If I can find it I will put it up.

http://lilbrown.com/c-506-american-spirit-myo.aspx

Just be aware that sales tax, state tax, and shipping are added.

Reactions: usr/

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. One more question, I always thought loose leaf tobacco is not subject to tax. In fact dealing with the LeafOnly company, I did not pay the tax. But that was just plain uncut leaves - not in a pouch either. Is American Spirit different? I can buy a pack of American Spirit cigarettes in my city for $7.50 including tax - a price lower than the $8.50 plus shipping and tax online.

Last edited:

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. One more question, I always thought loose leaf tobacco is not subject to tax. In fact dealing with the LeafOnly company, I did not pay the tax. But that was just plain uncut leaves - not in a pouch either. Is American Spirit different? I can buy a pack of American Spirit cigarettes in my city for $7.50 including tax - a price lower than the $8.50 plus shipping and tax online.

I believe that if it's classified as cigarette or smokeless tobacco it is taxed. I think pipe & cigar are exempt.
Selling whole leaf tobacco my be a loop hole.

A cigarette contains about 0.8 grams of tobacco. 0.8 X 20 = 16 grams/pack
A pouch of American Spirit is 1.41 oz or about ~40 grams of tobacco.
American Spirit Perique is one of my ADV's.
NET.com sells this as "Speaking Spirit".

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Thanks usr for mentioning the Solani Burley Flake. Looked it up and it has good reviews. I put it down in my wish list for my next purchase from P&C. Burley blends have been a bit of an obsession of mine lately. I've recently extracted the following: C&D Big and Burley (came out surprisingly light in color; seems to have a high Perique content), GH Brown Irish X Unsliced (very robust but not too different than vaping a single-varietal extract of dark-fired burley, which I already have), GH Dark Flake Scented (the lakeland flavoring gives an interesting taste, but its not a NET I often reach for). Mind you all three were part of a recent batch, so they're not very well aged. And also I might have not given the batch enough maceration time. Only 4 weeks. From now on I'm giving 6 weeks: 3 weeks in direct sunlight (the jars get palpably warm to the touch during the day), and 3 weeks in a cool, dark cupboard.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Thanks usr for mentioning the Solani Burley Flake. Looked it up and it has good reviews. I put it down in my wish list for my next purchase from P&C. Burley blends have been a bit of an obsession of mine lately. I've recently extracted the following: C&D Big and Burley (came out surprisingly light in color; seems to have a high Perique content), GH Brown Irish X Unsliced (very robust but not too different than vaping a single-varietal extract of dark-fired burley, which I already have), GH Dark Flake Scented (the lakeland flavoring gives an interesting taste, but its not a NET I often reach for). Mind you all three were part of a recent batch, so they're not very well aged. And also I might have not given the batch enough maceration time. Only 4 weeks. From now on I'm giving 6 weeks: 3 weeks in direct sunlight (the jars get palpably warm to the touch during the day), and 3 weeks in a cool, dark cupboard.

I swore I was going to hold off and try to start working with what I already have, and it's a lot! lol. But I still have 3 more to finish filtering and 3 more pouches waiting to extract. Hoping to do Str8visions Heated Ethanol Method on those. It's just become an all around obsession, I just can't stop,lol! Good luck to you my friend!

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
From now on I'm giving 6 weeks: 3 weeks in direct sunlight (the jars get palpably warm to the touch during the day), and 3 weeks in a cool, dark cupboard.
In direct sunlight? I'm surprised. I go to great lengths to keep mine away from any and all UV light.

Reactions: Str8vision

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
3 weeks in direct sunlight (the jars get palpably warm to the touch during the day)

Direct sunlight along with moisture that may accumulate say in the head space of the jar could possibly be a recipe for bacteria to form, which could also impart off flavor in your extract. I also try to keep the extract out of direct sunlight. It would be the long term effect on it. If you were going to use solar to heat the extract you may consider putting it in a dark container the would heat up but keep it out direct sun. Just a thought.......

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
I keep my filtered extracts in a cupboard away from sunlight. But the prospect of bacteria forming in the mason jars during maceration is definitely concerning. Has this happened to anyone? I got the idea of placing the jars in direct sunlight from someone on the Cold Maceration of Tobacco thread. There are also several scientific reports that seem to suggest (to my laymen eyes) that PG is quite a potent anti-bacterial. If I'm filling the jars almost to the brim with PG+tobacco mixture, and using new lids...my sense is that it should be OK on bacteria front. Thoughts?

Reactions: usr/

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
What is the most spiciest cigar tobacco extract....looking for something real spicy not hot with a lil sweetness

I've extracted a dozen different cigars and wasn't very impressed with any of them. Cigars are more difficult to extract than pipe tobacco and the flavor they do yield is just too subtle for my taste. I've not extracted one yet but a trusted extractor, Billherbst, extracted a "Rocky Patel vintage '90" and commented it had robust cigar flavor. That will be my next cigar attempt.

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA
I think I chimed in here about a couple of others to try as well. The Vintage 90 is probably my favorite but it's not really spicy. The Rocky Patel Autumn Reserve 2008 and the Perdomo Lot 23 (not maduro) fill out my current top three. None of these are really expensive cigars and it's funny how the ratings or the price don't necessarily carry over to an extraction home run. I've tried some pretty fancy cigars that I loved to smoke and was indifferent to in an extracted form. I'm guessing that Sumatra wrapped cigars would increase the "spice effect" for those that are interested.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I keep my filtered extracts in a cupboard away from sunlight. But the prospect of bacteria forming in the mason jars during maceration is definitely concerning. Has this happened to anyone? I got the idea of placing the jars in direct sunlight from someone on the Cold Maceration of Tobacco thread. There are also several scientific reports that seem to suggest (to my laymen eyes) that PG is quite a potent anti-bacterial. If I'm filling the jars almost to the brim with PG+tobacco mixture, and using new lids...my sense is that it should be OK on bacteria front. Thoughts?

Propylene glycol (PG), is bacteriostatic. It doesn't kill bacteria but does stop or slow its reproduction. It's also a pretty decent antifungal/mold agent.

Sunlight/UV, heat and oxygen are the enemies of all e-liquids and especially those containing nicotine. Oxidation, regardless of what agent causes it, degrades juice and alters/mutes flavor.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I think I chimed in here about a couple of others to try as well. The Vintage 90 is probably my favorite but it's not really spicy. The Rocky Patel Autumn Reserve 2008 and the Perdomo Lot 23 (not maduro) fill out my current top three. None of these are really expensive cigars and it's funny how the ratings or the price don't necessarily carry over to an extraction home run. I've tried some pretty fancy cigars that I loved to smoke and was indifferent to in an extracted form. I'm guessing that Sumatra wrapped cigars would increase the "spice effect" for those that are interested.

I'll be sure to add those to my list. Thanks for sharing! And I agree, my love for the tobacco blends I once smoked (pipe), didn't carry over into extraction and vaping. Entirely different worlds.

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
Propylene glycol (PG), is bacteriostatic. It doesn't kill bacteria but does stop or slow its reproduction. It's also a pretty decent antifungal/mold agent.

Sunlight/UV, heat and oxygen are the enemies of all e-liquids and especially those containing nicotine. Oxidation, regardless of what agent causes it, degrades juice and alters/mutes flavor.
Good to know

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Good to know

PG, VG and PGA all are -excellent- for long term storage of extracts. Bacteria and mold shouldn't be a problem in any of them.

The presence of water can change the equation, bacteria thrives in water and will feed on PG while consuming the oxygen contained in the water. Fortunately, it takes a very high ratio of water for this to occur.

PG, VG and PGA all are Hygroscopic and will readily absorb water even from ambient air which is -one- of the reasons I store them in air tight glass containers. The water they absorb is dissolved and once obtained is near impossible to remove without highly specialized equipment. If I remember correctly VG can absorb around 30% of its total volume in water before it becomes saturated. Any additional water mixed in would exist in a free state and could be readily removed through simple evaporation.

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
PG, VG and PGA all are -excellent- for long term storage of extracts. Bacteria and mold shouldn't be a problem in any of them.

The presence of water can change the equation, bacteria thrives in water and will feed on PG while consuming the oxygen contained in the water. Fortunately, it takes a very high ratio of water for this to occur.

PG, VG and PGA all are Hygroscopic and will readily absorb water even from ambient air which is -one- of the reasons I store them in air tight glass containers. The water they absorb is dissolved and once obtained is near impossible to remove without highly specialized equipment. If I remember correctly VG can absorb around 30% of its total volume in water before it becomes saturated. Any additional water mixed in would exist in a free state and could be readily removed through simple evaporation.

This is good to know from the point of view of theory. I guess what I'm still curious about is hearing what personal experiences people have had with bacteria during the extraction process, and to what extent they feel that was due to sunlight exposure or other factors. Room temperature extraction is probably the simplest, least technically-involved method of doing what we do. And placing the mason jars in sunlight during extraction has so far been a benefit for me, speeding up the brewing process and getting similar benefits as the heat-assisted method without any additional effort (like intense monitoring, taking up kitchen counter space...etc). As far as risks, after upwards of 80 extractions, over the course of 1.5 years, I haven't had any issues with bacteria personally. In fact the only time I felt a batch of extracts came out a little weak on flavor was during last winter when I probably should have given the jars more exposure.

I just wanted to share my experiences for what its worth to potential newbies looking to get into the hobby but looking for the balance of simplicity/efficiency that works for them. Lord knows I was a long-time lurker, and even now I don't give back to the community as much as I probably should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread