Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm curious... what do you mean by "combusted"?

Combustion/combusted: an act or instance of burning; Smoke is produced during combustion.

Those would be the Ohm Natural tobacco and Cohiba cigar(s). The ohm natural I used for the last 3-4 years before vaping. I rolled my own cigarettes. The cohiba cigars, Cuban, when I traveled to Vancouver/Whistler, BC, Canada. I used them first in my extractions because I knew I enjoyed them when I smoked. They are both more favorable now as I believe some of the flavor profile was "burned off" during combustion. The others on the list was suggested in this thread. The only one I've "gambled" on was the Brairworks Back Down South. When I purchased it had no reviews as it was a new product offering. It compares well with the ohm natural but with a mild whiskey (bourbon) flavor.

Reactions: Str8vision

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
Combustion/combusted: an act or instance of burning; Smoke is produced during combustion.

Those would be the Ohm Natural tobacco and Cohiba cigar(s). The ohm natural I used for the last 3-4 years before vaping. I rolled my own cigarettes. The cohiba cigars, Cuban, when I traveled to Vancouver/Whistler, BC, Canada. I used them first in my extractions because I knew I enjoyed them when I smoked. They are both more favorable now as I believe some of the flavor profile was "burned off" during combustion.
Do you mean that you heated them during extraction or that you extracted semi smoked tobacco... or are I completely misunderstanding? haha sorry if I'm being stupid here :)

Reactions: Str8vision

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
@Mr Steeps
The 2 tobaccos, cohiba/ohm natural, I used when I smoked.
Extraction was not heated nor previously used (smoked) tobacco. Fresh, unused, just bought, tobacco is used in 6 week (or more) cold (room temp) extraction.
I hope this clears that up for you. I sorry, it must be my southern draw, it confuses everyone from the other states/countries.

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
@Mr Steeps
The 2 tobaccos, cohiba/ohm natural, I used when I smoked.
Extraction was not heated nor previously used (smoked) tobacco. Fresh, unused, just bought, tobacco is used in 6 week (or more) cold (room temp) extraction.
I hope this clears that up for you. I sorry, it must be my southern draw, it confuses everyone from the other states/countries.
Haha thanks man, I'm with you now!

Reactions: MSK421

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Anyone extracted C & D's "Exclusive" tobacco? I just received the tobacco for me to extract. The tobacco does not have much of an aroma in the container. It sounded much more interesting from the description in Pipes and Cigars catalog..... This may take an extended soak to bring out flavor.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Anyone extracted C & D's "Exclusive" tobacco?.....

I did and it was OK but not nearly as good as I thought it would be. Kind of lack luster and bland which surprised me considering the amount of Perique it contains. Similar to their "Engine no. 99", wasn't impressed with that one either.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
This may take an extended soak to bring out flavor.

6 months ought to do it. ;)

I did and it was OK but not nearly as good as I thought it would be. Kind of lack luster and bland

Same for me... My mistake was not allowing enough cold steep time for this tobacco (1 month). Although enjoyable, I need to mix it at 20 to 25% or add a little Burley heavy favorite (C&D Morley’s Best or Haunted Bookshop) to the mix. :cool:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Broke out the Mississippi River yesterday after a 2 month steep. :thumb: Just ordered the 8 oz can. :)
Best-Selling SPC Mississippi River - Pipes and Cigars

Small world. Just today I found a jar of SPC's Mississippi river special reserve that's been sitting, forgotten, since last October. It had initially been heat extracted and I was allowing it to cold steep for a month afterward. Guess a couple extra months won't hurt anything :oops:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
that's been sitting, forgotten

I have a "sitting, forgotten" find: GL Pease Key Largo - Pipes and Cigars - Great Tobacco Deals
Culling the blends in my kitchen cabinet I came across this one that I hadn't tried in a year or so. I remember it'd been kinda bland. It has developed in to one that'll put hair on your toes. Latakia heavy with Perique, Virginias, and Orientals floating around it. Very strong now.

I believe I've mentioned Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture is available here at P&C! - Pipes and Cigars before but, Cabbie has become one of my favorites. Very well blended flavors. Neither overpowers or is separated from the other. A lovely and complex blend.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I have a "sitting, forgotten" find: GL Pease Key Largo - Pipes and Cigars - Great Tobacco Deals
Culling the blends in my kitchen cabinet I came across this one that I hadn't tried in a year or so. I remember it'd been kinda bland. It has developed in to one that'll put hair on your toes. Latakia heavy with Perique, Virginias, and Orientals floating around it. Very strong now.

I find more tobaccos I buy today require more step time than my extractions used to require. I wonder why. :tumble:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I've been enjoying Latakia heavy NETs (Latakia bombs) so my sense of taste is seriously skewed and out of whack. With that caveat in mind, here's my latest picks; The last good tobacco I sampled was SPC's "Mississippi River special reserve". It yielded a smooth but distinct NET that tastes like ultra premium tobacco, somewhat similar to the regular "Mississippi River" but better, more opulent in my opinion. It reminded me of a cross between a $30 cigar and the $15 an ounce pipe tobacco I had a couple of decades ago, a very "premium" flavor which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste preference. Also recently enjoyed was C&D's "Da Vinci" a mixture of Latakia, Burley and Virginia tobaccos but the Latakia isn't as dominant in this blend as it normally tends to be.

Unfortunately, my current rotation isn't anything most of you would like. I'm still into Latakia heavy NETs with Tsuge "Ryujin" and C&D's "Constellation" leading the pack. The Ryujin seems to have disappeared from the marketplace, can't find it anywhere so perhaps it's been discontinued. I have enough concentrated extract to last me for years so I'm not too worried. I don't have any new tobaccos to try, haven't been shopping for months.

I'm busy renovating/modernizing my historic century old Victorian home/property and will be for the next few years. Last year I extracted large quantities of my favorite tobaccos (all 16 of them) and enough of each to last a decade or two. Concentrated, purified, filtered and stored next to my stockpile of liquid nic, I'm set for the long haul and exempt from any future FDA or state nonsense. I do still plan to sample new tobaccos as I find them but gone are the days of mass extractions. I'm pretty much done, from here on out it's just for fun and pleasure, not out of necessity.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I've been enjoying Latakia heavy NETs (Latakia bombs) so my sense of taste is seriously skewed and out of whack. With that caveat in mind, here's my latest picks; The last good tobacco I sampled was SPC's "Mississippi River special reserve". It yielded a smooth but distinct NET that tastes like ultra premium tobacco, somewhat similar to the regular "Mississippi River" but better, more opulent in my opinion. It reminded me of a cross between a $30 cigar and the $15 an ounce pipe tobacco I had a couple of decades ago, a very "premium" flavor which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste preference. Also recently enjoyed was C&D's "Da Vinci" a mixture of Latakia, Burley and Virginia tobaccos but the Latakia isn't as dominant in this blend as it normally tends to be.

Unfortunately, my current rotation isn't anything most of you would like. I'm still into Latakia heavy NETs with Tsuge "Ryujin" and C&D's "Constellation" leading the pack. The Ryujin seems to have disappeared from the marketplace, can't find it anywhere so perhaps it's been discontinued. I have enough concentrated extract to last me for years so I'm not too worried. I don't have any new tobaccos to try, haven't been shopping for months.

I'm busy renovating/modernizing my historic century old Victorian home/property and will be for the next few years. Last year I extracted large quantities of my favorite tobaccos (all 16 of them) and enough of each to last a decade or two. Concentrated, purified, filtered and stored next to my stockpile of liquid nic, I'm set for the long haul and exempt from any future FDA or state nonsense. I do still plan to sample new tobaccos as I find them but gone are the days of mass extractions. I'm pretty much done, from here on out it's just for fun and pleasure, not out of necessity.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Smoking Pipes. This is really good stuff. I like it better than Dunhill's Navy Rolls.

unnamed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread