Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Yeah Jacinda, that's usually what the problem is with attys. They like being kept wet all the time. Even after I clean them and before I store them I add a couple of drops of VG directly on the bridge. So the trick with attys is to always keep them wet and give them time to cool down. Like I said I don't have attys go bad now and I'm sure this is why. Glad you solved your problem. :)

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
livethechoice, try dripping a few drops of your juice or plain VG directly on the atty and see if it still tastes bad. Adding VG to your mix might help but if you do that only use a few drops to 2-3ml of the flavored juice so you don't ruin the whole batch if it doesn't work. There have been some problems lately with Rath juice but I don't think it's the same as you're having. Yours sounds more like a dry or bad atty.

I usually have to drip a drop or two on to the bridge more often than I should be. I mean, every few hits? My only other option is to almost flood the atty, which absolutely kills the drawing power. It sucks because if I'm on the go I don't want to have to drip every time I want to use it, I like to be able to just prime it in the morning, pop it into my pcc and be good for the day, or at least most of the day.

The thought occurred to me today that maybe the juice isn't burning off the atty too fast, but drying too fast? And the bad taste is simply dried gunk being burned? I'm down to 3 attys that I haven't given up on, and I really don't want to have to order more this soon. Hurts my paycheck =)

would priming in the morning with pure vg help? Or would rinsing the atty clean every night? I think I've just offended the atty gods somehow.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
livethechoice, if it tastes okay when you drip that indicates it's not wicking the juice properly. I think that's why most people that have been vaping very long have given up on stock 510 attys and carts - they just don't wick good enough. Your choices are using a cart mod, like Fluval, a different type atty and cart or direct drip.

You can try more VG in your juice and see if that helps or try a different juice. I wouldn't clean it too often as I've found that drys out the nickle mesh too much and that needs to be kept wet with juice at all times.

Maybe someone else has some ideas???

Last edited:

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
hmm, third time I've written this response. Looks like the internet gods aren't happy with me either.
I use the BFD, and it seem to work ok with specific attys, but I only have one of those left. Is it a model problem, or a batch problem? Because if it's a model problem, that would make me sad. I love the 510, it's perfect. But if it's a batch problem, I can order a new batch of attys and...hopefully they will have fixed it? It seems to work better with my vanilla, which is coincidentally less viscus than the waffle. I don't know what to do, all I know is it's making me want to turn into the hulk. Which in turn, makes me wish I could turn into the hulk.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I think this is one reason most have given up on the 510 models and moved on to the eGo. The LR 510 attys on an eGo battery with the cone solve many of these problems.

I sooo understand your frustrations. Last night I was reading some of my early posts in this thread and it reminded me of the frustration I had with attys before giving up on the regular 510s. The problem is that LR attys aren't recommended for use on a regular 510 battery.

I don't know if there is a solution as long as you stay with that model. You're the only one that can decide what your priorities are. I can tell you that I have never been so happy and satisfied as I am now that I use an eGo and my box mods at home. :)

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
OK, I've read a ton of good reviews on the eGo and am seriously considering jumping ship. I would buy the Joye eGo from ecigexpress (EDIT: probably not, now that I see they only have white ones in stock), but I'm a little confused still. I really only need to by the batteries and chargers for the eGo, because it still uses the 510 atty? Or if my 510's aren't wicking properly, is it best to get new atty's as well? I guess I don't understand the difference between a Joye 510 atty and an LR atty.

Sardonic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Regular 510 attys work on the eGO, vGO, T-rex, etc. They're all pretty much the same, a battery enclosed in a fancy case. The LR or Low Resistance atty, as the name implies, performs at a lower resistance than normal attys and therefore gets hotter FAST. It simulates vaping a higher voltages while being used in standard 3.7 volt vaping devices. If you have never experienced it, I'd say get one, but be ready for the INSTANT burn, it gets red hot in a nanosecond. You must prime it with 8-10 drops of liquid, get ready to burn it off fast and then re-prime with 3-4 more drops before you start vaping. During vaping, it's going to burn through the liquid much faster and you will have to re-drip more. It's not for everyone, but it's something you should experience if not for opinions sake. Some like it, some don't. I'm on the fence. You are better off with thicker e-juice when running LR attys. The other alternative is to go ahead and get a 5 or 6 volt vaping device. Also, LR attys being basically tweaked out or overclocked for the computer nerds among us, do not hold the same warranty (if at all) as regular attys and also are reported to not have nearly the same lifespan as they do run very hot and most people do not properly maintain them. Even if properly maintained, they are not supposed to last as long. Lastly, eGo's are great, I like the t-rex because of the l.e.d. ring, but either way, they're awesome. Just remember, when they die, they die. This is because unlike other mods, the battery is enclosed and not user serviceable. They're just bigger and fancier, will last longer (much) than your standard 510 battery and just look damn cool. Hope that helps a bit.

edit: I'm finding that non joye attys suck. They suck really fast, and really bad. I'm also finding that real joye 510 attys rock. They rock hard and they rock alot. Yup. Sho nuff.

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
The only other thing is a cone which makes it look and vape better. You can use all your current 510 stuff but you will need to get either an adapter for your charger or a fast charger for the eGo. If money isn't as important as quality I would stick with Joye products and the eGo. My first battery went out last week after using it heavily since Feb. Now it's at my modder's being made into a mod. :)

Like Sardonic said, buy at least one LR atty so you know the difference. I really like the ones from XtremeVaping that run in between regular and LR at about 1.9-2.0.

Last edited:

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
Sard, when you say "re-drip more", do you mean refilling carts, or priming in the middle/between cart refills by dripping onto the atty? I guess if I'm gonna be burning through liquid so fast, I should look into bigger carts. And wow, if it burns through liquid that quickly then my pure-vg will get vaped off in an instant. Hmm, things to consider.

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
Drip. Throw away all your carts. You have probably melted carts and are tasting the toxic plastic that has infused in your atty. Soak them all in rubbing alcohol for about 1 hours then boil them for 15 minutes. Let dry over night. If that doesnt work throw them away and get new ones and never put a cart back on just use drip tips. Problem solved.

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
never used a drip tip before, just heard about them today really. Does it work well with a 510?
My roommate told me it's hard to fix a 510 atty for dripping, and he's way more into the mod scene than I am. Can I use a drip tip on a 510 ego without modding it?
I also kinda doubt I'm melting my carts. I check the rim often, and even clip them down before use if I think they're too long. Anything's possible though.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Yes, I mostly drip or use an eGo 2ml cart and atty. The drip-tip snaps directly in a 510 atty with no mod needed. The eGo atty and cart hold 2ml of eLiquid so they last most of the day. Also, having more than one PV going at once helps give them time to wick and for the atty to cool down. I keep my attys wet and not overheated and they last me several months now.

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
Well it looks like I just got a batch of these attys. I bought three silver Joye 510 attys and the two that I tried seem to taste burnt almost all of the time. I can't imagine that the third is any better. It's a good thing that I have some back up attys.

I'm not sure if I should contact the vendor to find out if there have been any other reports of bad attys. He has been open about this issue in the past.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
Drip. Throw away all your carts. You have probably melted carts and are tasting the toxic plastic that has infused in your atty. Soak them all in rubbing alcohol for about 1 hours then boil them for 15 minutes. Let dry over night. If that doesnt work throw them away and get new ones and never put a cart back on just use drip tips. Problem solved.

Dripping doesn't solve the problem d00d. Dripping isn't the answer to every atty problem out there. I have had this happen with numerous atty's and all I ever do is drip.

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
Dripping doesn't solve the problem d00d. Dripping isn't the answer to every atty problem out there. I have had this happen with numerous atty's and all I ever do is drip.

Your correct but it solves alot of the filler burning stuck in your atty problem. Also something to consider is if you get a piece of fluval in your coil your atty is shot so yes dripping may not solve all your problems but it will solve alot of them. The carts are the weakest link in any PV and until they invent a filler less cart I'm going to recommend to the world to just get a drip tip. the only time I think you need a cart and I would recommend cartomizer would be for driving.

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Your correct but it solves alot of the filler burning stuck in your atty problem. Also something to consider is if you get a piece of fluval in your coil your screwed so yes dripping may not solve all your problems but it will solve alot of them. The carts are the weakest link in any PV and until they invent a filler less cart I'm going to recommend to the world to just get a drip tip. the only time I think you need a cart and I would recommend cartomizer would be for driving.

This thread is specific to a manufacturers defect reported to ECF moderators. It's not intended to give your method of vaping. How much of the thread did you even read before giving your opinion?

BababooeyHTJ, if you think you may have some of these then I would contact your supplier. The only way we can assure good QC out of China is to stay on top of this and let the vendors know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread