Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You know, I was just wondering how exactly are cigarette companies supposed to reduce the nicotine in the raw tobacco anyway? I am afraid they will come up with some sort of horrendous chemical process they will have to put it through to do that. It will probably end up making them even worse for smokers somehow. Just like making them "fire safe" did.

Ya know how Juul uses a Chemical Process to alter the properties of the Nicotine in their e-liquids? Well... they were Not the first Company to come up with ways of doing stuff like that.

So maybe a More Precise thing to say is the FDA is looking at ways to Lower the Absorbed Amount of Nicotine when a Cigarette is smoked.

And Removing "Additives" from Cigarette Tobacco would be an Easy place to start.

ETA: Here is some Interesting Reading...

5. Do additives make tobacco more addictive?

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
You could also simply breed and select tobacco plants that produce a lesser amount of nicotine.
Not sold on the whole nicotine reduction though since it's not the only thing in smoke that keeps people smoking.
You can get addicted to smoking tea leaves and there's no effective amount of nicotine in those. It's just the misinformation and false propaganda about nicotine that keeps this whole "lower nicotine" thing going.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You could also simply breed and select tobacco plants that produce a lesser amount of nicotine.
Not sold on the whole nicotine reduction though since it's not the only thing in smoke that keeps people smoking.
You can get addicted to smoking tea leaves and there's no effective amount of nicotine in those. It's just the misinformation and false propaganda about nicotine that keeps this whole "lower nicotine" thing going.

But on the Population Level, isn't Everything a matter of Percentages?

I wonder what Percentage of people get Addicted to smoking Tea Leaves? Verses what Percentage of people get Addicted to smoking Cigarettes?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
They're known for decades in vietnam and apparently you can buy them in the US as well
Home | AMERICAN BILLY
Don't think there's a lot of research into that.

Great!!! Now you can get all the tar, carbon monoxide, and other carcinogens, WITHOUT all that yukky nicotine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossum

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Don't laugh at me but I actually tried them one desperate quit attempt. I didn't think they would work, they were "herbal" cigarettes, I think (possibly some tea n them). I smoked exactly 2/3 of one before deciding combustion by itself wasn't ah meeting my needs.

I went back to real cigarettes.

Anna

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I view taxation as theft, and honestly, a more "benign" form of theft. This is something entirely different (IMO) some sort of "master plan" to control smoking and vaping itself and it's fuzzy, but ultimately to me it sounds like a certain amount of vaping that was present, may not be, and this is the worst part (IMO).

Look, Federally tax vaping. I get it, I understand it, it's a growing industry and etc. But wanting to "format" vaping by reducing flavorings, and by artificially "swelling" the vaping market by reducing nicotine in tobacco.... That's a lot different than a tax. I guess in a sense it will be "stealing" vaping by thoroughly limiting harm reduction and how it can be (easily) obtained.

While I have no great love for Phillip Morris, I did see their denial of the IQOS to be somewhat symbolic-- PM has been the "government's partner" for a long time, with cigarettes, they have a powerful lobby and even then their harm reduction device was rejected.... While I wouldn't use one personally it WAS a harm reduction product. Perhaps vaping will be stolen in terms of innovation and new things, along with taxation. I don't care for it, and would probably reluctantly go, "Just tax us! It's better!" unless this is merely the ramp up to a most undesirable tax and getting the public on the government's side.. IDK. Just glad I found vaping when I did. Etc.

Anna
It so far simpler than how you are looking at it. Nicotine is an organic molecule. the FDA is attempting to legislate this molecule into a narrowly defined market. Forcing the BT companies to remove nicotine from their major market product, and handing free reign over to BP companies to market it as they will. Vaping is caught in the crossfire. It is my belief that the BP companies have had their eyes on nicotine as a cash cow for some time now. Who knows how vaping will fit into this whole mess. I am against the FDA removing nicotine from cigarettes, I do not think that was the intention of the Family Smoking prevention legislation.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Don't laugh at me but I actually tried them one desperate quit attempt. I didn't think they would work, they were "herbal" cigarettes, I think (possibly some tea n them). I smoked exactly 2/3 of one before deciding combustion by itself wasn't ah meeting my needs.

I went back to real cigarettes.
Hah! About 3 months after switching to vaping, I tried a real cigarette. I smoked 2/3 of it before deciding that combustion of tobacco was no longer a desirable way to meet my needs.

I went back to my vapes.

:w00t:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
You know, I was just wondering how exactly are cigarette companies supposed to reduce the nicotine in the raw tobacco anyway? I am afraid they will come up with some sort of horrendous chemical process they will have to put it through to do that. It will probably end up making them even worse for smokers somehow. Just like making them "fire safe" did.
the same way they do it now, they will just adjust the process to meet whatever level the FDA DEEMS...see what I did there?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
It occurs to me that if we wanted to regain a control of our lives with respect to an presumptively adverse substance as nicotine, what better way than a technology that might limit the compulsive behavior to one more precisely quantified. In what other aspect of human consumption would we even come close to effectively challenging the uncertainty we've achieved by comparison with vaping? I mean, do we even know what's in our food today? No sir, open systems e-cigarettes are way too powerful an instrument to be left in the hands of the ordinary citizen. We are simply too ignorant to know better.

Extract vaping from tobacco legislation.

Good luck all. :)

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on pivotal public health step to dramatically reduce smoking rates by lowering nicotine in combustible cigarettes to minimally or non-addictive levels

If/when this passes...

Next...pivotal public health step to dramatically reduce alcoholism by lowering alcohol in all alcoholic beverages to 1%...

Then...pivotal public health step to dramatically reduce obesity by lowering calories in all cheeseburgers to 10...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If/when this passes...

Next...pivotal public health step to dramatically reduce alcoholism by lowering alcohol in all alcoholic beverages to 1%...

Then...pivotal public health step to dramatically reduce obesity by lowering calories in all cheeseburgers to 10...

And for those in gov't addicted to taxing and spending, reduce tax and spending to 10% as well :- ) (current spending to GDP ratio @36%)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
And for those congressmen in their 20th term, reduce them to two terms and send them home. Let them drive their spouses nuts instead of us.

Without a pension, let them find honest work, if they can.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Federal/state/native reservation health care is the biggest PLUS of all time. I stayed at my job about 2 years past where I should have, then left briefly and came BACK as I couldn't afford my heath insurance. I have now gone from a "Cadillac plan" to medicare. Medicare is so bad I actually PRAY I qualify for expanded Medicaid. I don't think I WILL but I bothered to wade through the Marketplace website and complete their "stuff" in case I do qualify. LOL, in my house it's like deduct 50% of any income for healthcare costs. Thank God for certain privately run "patient assistance programs" is all I can say.

The thing I don't get-- isn't a Congressperson's "pension" the same as their pay basically? Plus healthcare for life? WHY in the name of all that is holy do not more of them QUIT after awhile (I am specifically thinking of McCain, man, if I had brain cancer, I would quit instantly).

But the "pension" for government employees, some of them, is pretty darn shocking, in my opinion. It's actually not something you hear talked about a lot.

I think term limits are a good idea, but you shouldn't pay 100% (or close) to their salary in pension either. Not unless you want to extend that idea to every job in the known universe, etc.

But yes, all the darn government officials would have paid a lot more attention to Healthcare, generally, if they ALL had to "test" the system on themselves for say, 8 years first. Once they "formally like it' for themselves, then they can inflict it on us. Sigh.

Anna

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Federal/state/native reservation health care is the biggest PLUS of all time. I stayed at my job about 2 years past where I should have, then left briefly and came BACK as I couldn't afford my heath insurance. I have now gone from a "Cadillac plan" to medicare. Medicare is so bad I actually PRAY I qualify for expanded Medicaid. I don't think I WILL but I bothered to wade through the Marketplace website and complete their "stuff" in case I do qualify. LOL, in my house it's like deduct 50% of any income for healthcare costs. Thank God for certain privately run "patient assistance programs" is all I can say.

The thing I don't get-- isn't a Congressperson's "pension" the same as their pay basically? Plus healthcare for life? WHY in the name of all that is holy do not more of them QUIT after awhile (I am specifically thinking of McCain, man, if I had brain cancer, I would quit instantly).

But the "pension" for government employees, some of them, is pretty darn shocking, in my opinion. It's actually not something you hear talked about a lot.

I think term limits are a good idea, but you shouldn't pay 100% (or close) to their salary in pension either. Not unless you want to extend that idea to every job in the known universe, etc.

But yes, all the darn government officials would have paid a lot more attention to Healthcare, generally, if they ALL had to "test" the system on themselves for say, 8 years first. Once they "formally like it' for themselves, then they can inflict it on us. Sigh.

Anna
Yep they actually make more money after a few years after leaving Office then when they were in. Plus the pathetic health care plan they forced on everyone plus the Cadillac plan tax them and government employees are exempt.

I have a number of friends forced onto Obamacare, they pay around $300 a month with a $6,000 deductible.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I suspect that power is a drug. A very addictive one.

Users who are viewing this thread