Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Or as the AEI seminar crew said, including Sally Satel - none at all. So as not to get into that hypocrisy.
Yeah, I think we can all agree that since there is no "sin" so far as we know with vaping, it should not be subject to a sin tax. Just the same sales tax that everything else is subject to.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The thing is, it will never be a one to one, at least not without a complete revision of the vapor industry, which is what they seem to be trying to do.

Also, when you acknowledge the harm reduction, part of that is acknowledging that the less harmful product either shouldn't be taxed, or should be taxed at a much lower rate in order to encourage the switch to the less harmful option, like we're starting to see in the UK. After all, the tobacco taxes are, on the surface, intended to discourage use. You can't acknowledge that it's a less harmful option, but want to tax it at the same or higher rate, without acknowledging that you're a hypocrite.

But here's the Deal. Does Anyone Really think that e-Cigarettes are Not going to be Taxed at a Buck-a-Day + State Taxes anyway?

Forget about the Cute Name someone wants to put on it like a "Sin Tax". Hell, they might just call it "The States are Broke and the Feds are 19 Trillion in the Hole" Tax.

Can Taxes on e-Cigarettes be Stopped? Or is this one of those Hypothetical Should or Shouldn't things?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
For those in Cali...a rally ( I made a rhyme) :thumbs:

In this meeting the collaborative efforts of NBS, SFATA-CA, and ATR will be presented. This is a meeting you do not want to miss.

#notblowingsmoke #sfata-california and #americansfortaxreform will be presenting the plan to take on the dreaded tax ballot initiative that seeks to tax vapor products by 62 to 69%.

A true collaboration and a force in California to be reckoned with, both the industry and consumer side will need to do what is needed to defeat this tax the only way it can be defeated, by votes.

Your help and your efforts will be critical and this is not a time to rely on a small group doing all the heavy lifting. This time, it’s all hands on deck and we welcome your hands to make this the loudest fight the vapor industry and community has ever put on in California.

Together, we can do this. Get your seat at the meeting and learn all about our plan of attack and your role in it. And remember, one of us is never as strong as all of us! We hope to see you there on July 10th, at 6PM.

13557670_587206014772021_6890018765212230921_n.jpg

Thank you for Posting this!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
But here's the Deal. Does Anyone Really think that e-Cigarettes are Not going to be Taxed at a Buck-a-Day + State Taxes anyway?

Forget about the Cute Name someone wants to put on it like a "Sin Tax". Hell, they might just call it "The States are Broke and the Feds are 19 Trillion in the Hole" Tax.

Can Taxes on e-Cigarettes be Stopped? Or is this one of those Hypothetical Should or Shouldn't things?
I definitely think the taxes will be written into law. I know I won't be paying the tax on my next 5-10 years worth of vaping.

If all that survives the regulations are cigalikes, and those cigalikes cost as much or more than cigarettes, will there still be a market?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I know I won't be paying the tax on my next 5-10 years worth of vaping.

And many discredit the idea of a black market, but they either haven't been paying attention to another market that has been black since before I can remember and many were patrons.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I definitely think the taxes will be written into law. I know I won't be paying the tax on my next 5-10 years worth of vaping.

If all that survives the regulations are cigalikes, and those cigalikes cost as much or more than cigarettes, will there still be a market?

To be Honest with you Les, I Don't Know what Scares me More?

Deeming. Or the Inability to Hold Back Tax Legislation on BOTH the State and Federal Level.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
To be Honest with you Les, I Don't Know what Scares me More?

Deeming. Or the Inability to Hold Back Tax Legislation on BOTH the State and Federal Level.
They both scare me, what scares me the most, personally, is the potential for the deeming to disrupt the avenues to get around the taxes.

On a broader scale, the deeming scares me more due to the harm it is doing to the idea of vaping. I'm scared that people will be afraid to make the switch.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
If people in general are listening to the misinformation (and by all accounts they are) and vaping choices (gear/eliquid) become very limited and cost close to/as much/more than smoking cigarettes most people will not switch to vaping, why would they? I think vaping took off and became as popular as it is today because of harm reduction, customization and low cost, if you remove all of that you remove the main incentives to switch.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Also, when you acknowledge the harm reduction, part of that is acknowledging that the less harmful product either shouldn't be taxed, or should be taxed at a much lower rate in order to encourage the switch to the less harmful option, like we're starting to see in the UK.

In agreement with Clive Bates :D

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Teh justification to Taxation is - Tobacco Product. FDA Gave all states Free Reign on this through Overreach on a Non hazardous product.
I have never said, do not at this time say, nor will I in the Future say, Nicotine = Tobacco Product. Plain and simple Bull:censored: for Financial Gain.
This product needs to be placed in a Non-hazardous independent Catagory for Harm Reduction and Not Taxed at any level.
There is NO Justification for any Tax beyond standard State Sales Taxes.
There is no Justification for blocking Internet Sales.
There in no justification beyond Social Stupidity for Age Restriction.

Come on FDA - Kill a Few million More!!!!! :glare:

And here we go again............ 24hr Study proves Vaping may be unhealthy.
One would think 9 years of Vapers in the US and even longer world wide would belay such studies.
E-cigarettes might lead to oral disease, study suggests

Last edited:

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I think if they were alive today Franklin would have a late night talk show having worked his way back into good graces from getting busted for a pandering operation he ran on the side and Jefferson would be a hip hop record producer in L.A.

I've always hated how my overuse of commas wrecks my writing style, but this makes me feel so much better.
Well yes, but that's a grammatically flawless sentence by a Nobel prize winning author. So there's a little difference.☺

Reactions: snork

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I think if they were alive today Franklin would have a late night talk show ...

I always liked the story of how Franklin walked from Boston to Philadelphia at the age of 17, and arrived with nothing but a loaf of bead in his pocket. Six years later he owned the biggest newspaper in the colonies ... :2cool:

A gifted writer, scientist, politician, ambassador, and world-class philanderer. You gotta like that guy ... :thumbs:

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
...Sugar taxes. And who knows what after. They'll suck one market dry and move on to the next, lol. I don't drink soda and I think it's unhealthy, so I'll be laughing about that one. Let someone else carry the tax burden for a while. Sweets on the other hand... :(

Doesn't that make you part of the problem, then?

I'm not intending to call you out, personally, but, rather, challenge your thinking; which seems to be an all-too-common position.

Soda is almost certainly unhealthy, as are cigarettes, and, to one degree or another, likely is vaping. These are things that we think, based on varying levels of evidence, though, not things that we know.

So, the acceptability of any given sin-tax comes down to a subjective position on how many believe a particular thing is bad for you, and how strongly they believe it. That creates an arena where the ruling class is motivated to propagandize to you, using your own tax dollars to generate their "studies" and publish that propaganda, in order to vilify certain behaviors and justify squeezing yet more tax dollars from you.

In the end, not only do they end up curbing behaviors that might otherwise be mostly harmless or possibly beneficial, they end up spreading misinformation in order to do so. That is harmful to the public twice over; thrice if you consider that the government's (OUR governtment's, anyway) job is not to be attempting to shape our behavior.

Since the nexus of the problem is governmental overreach, considering any seemingly-individual item on the agenda according to whether or not it is something that we personally partake in is short-sighted.

Illegitimate taxes like these do not go unchallenged because the concerned parties fail to speak out against them; by specific design, the concerned parties are generally minorities. Rather, these overreaches go unchallenged because those parties who consider themselves unaffected choose to say nothing, not realizing that they are, in fact, affected, all the same.

As a non-soda drinking vaper, your position to laugh at (to whit, not challenge) soda taxes is just as damaging to you, personally, as a failure to speak out against vape taxes would be, on your part.

Should your interest be vindicated, while the soda-drinkers lose theirs, your victory would be only temporary. A successfully implemented tax against the soda-drinkers would enable the controlling-class, financing their next "study" and wave of propaganda against your special interest, positioning them to have a better chance of defeating your cause on the next attempt.

Our founders fought a bloody war of independence over taxation without representation, yet we seem to have no problem, today, with taxation with misrepresentation.

It's as if we prefer being forced to swallow and repeat the government's lies, to being allowed no voice in our own destinies at all.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Our founders fought a bloody war of independence over taxation without representation, yet we seem to have no problem, today, with taxation with misrepresentation.

It's as if we prefer being forced to swallow and repeat the government's lies, to being allowed no voice in our own destinies at all.

this is the very reason I think the only good govt people are the dead ones. 99.9% of our govt leaders don't qualify as good hence their value is less than bacteria/chicken pee

halonut

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I Don't feel so bad now.

BTW... Interesting Tie-In,

In the October, 1991 Rush Backstage Club newsletter, Neil Peart explained that the 'Absalom' reference comes from William Faulkners' 1936 book Absalom, Absalom! 1936. "Absalom" was the son of King David. He killed his half-brother for raping their half-sister. Then, he tried to overthrow David and get the throne. A battle resulted during which his hair was caught in a tree suspending him above the ground. Against David's wishes, Absalom was killed by King David's Mighty Men. David grieved for his son by lamenting, "Absalom, Absalom, my son." Said Peart, "After reading the novel, I was curious... and looked up the name in the encyclopedia. Then, while writing that song, I had 'obsolete, absolute' in there, and I thought how similar the word-shape was to 'Absalom.' Since one of the main themes of the song was compassion, it occurred to me that the Biblical story was applicable-David's lament for his son: 'Would God I had died for thee,' seemed to be the ultimate expression of compassion. And that's how it happened."

Distant Early Warning by Rush Songfacts

"An ill wind comes arising
Across the cities of the plain
There's no swimming in the heavy water
No singing in the acid rain
Red Alert
Red Alert"
Left & rights of passage,
Blacks & whites of youth,
You can face the knowledge,
That the truth is not the truth,
Obsolete, absolutely

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Doesn't that make you part of the problem, then?

I'm not intending to call you out, personally, but, rather, challenge your thinking; which seems to be an all-too-common position.

Soda is almost certainly unhealthy, as are cigarettes, and, to one degree or another, likely is vaping. These are things that we think, based on varying levels of evidence, though, not things that we know.

So, the acceptability of any given sin-tax comes down to a subjective position on how many believe a particular thing is bad for you, and how strongly they believe it. That creates an arena where the ruling class is motivated to propagandize to you, using your own tax dollars to generate their "studies" and publish that propaganda, in order to vilify certain behaviors and justify squeezing yet more tax dollars from you.

In the end, not only do they end up curbing behaviors that might otherwise be mostly harmless or possibly beneficial, they end up spreading misinformation in order to do so. That is harmful to the public twice over; thrice if you consider that the government's (OUR governtment's, anyway) job is not to be attempting to shape our behavior.

Since the nexus of the problem is governmental overreach, considering any seemingly-individual item on the agenda according to whether or not it is something that we personally partake in is short-sighted.

Illegitimate taxes like these do not go unchallenged because the concerned parties fail to speak out against them; by specific design, the concerned parties are generally minorities. Rather, these overreaches go unchallenged because those parties who consider themselves unaffected choose to say nothing, not realizing that they are, in fact, affected, all the same.

As a non-soda drinking vaper, your position to laugh at (to whit, not challenge) soda taxes is just as damaging to you, personally, as a failure to speak out against vape taxes would be, on your part.

Should your interest be vindicated, while the soda-drinkers lose theirs, your victory would be only temporary. A successfully implemented tax against the soda-drinkers would enable the controlling-class, financing their next "study" and wave of propaganda against your special interest, positioning them to have a better chance of defeating your cause on the next attempt.

I was kidding honestly. I don't believe any of it should be taxed. I don't believe in "sin" taxes. The part I find amusing is imagining reactions from all the soda-drinkers who were okay with government overreach as long as it did not affect them, with letting others carry heavy tax burdens, thinking "it can't happen here". I would fight against government overreach regardless, but I take your point.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

"If we look to the laws, they afford equal justice to all in their private differences" Pericles

"No State can deprive particular persons or classes of persons of equal and impartial justice under the law." 14th amendment US Constitution

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Tidbits of Government logic:

An initial objection of Republicans in the Senate was that proposing to pay for the services by raising the federal tax on cigarettes, from 24 cents a pack to 67 cents a pack, ignored the likely consequence that sale of tobacco products would decrease and tax revenues would increasingly fall short of those needed to pay for the expansion of benefits

Kennedy and Hatch scoffed at the objection, with the former saying, "If we can keep people healthy and stop them from dying, I think most Americans would say 'Amen; isn't that a great result?' If fewer people smoke, states will save far more in lower health costs than they will lose in revenues from the cigarette tax."

State Children's Health Insurance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread