Don't inhale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I find all this fascinating. Were you folks who mouth inhale and then breathe it in (the aptly described "milkshake method") taught to do it this way by someone? Or was this just what seemed right?

Yes taught, but visually. When I first started smoking as a young teen I copied how I saw every adult smoke, in life and on tv/movies which is to suck smoke into mouth and then inhale. If my grandpa would have caught me direct lung inhaling he would have slapped the cig out of my mouth lol. Not because I was smoking, but because I was doing it wrong.

As mentioned, the only time I've seen someone lung inhale in person is if the substance wasn't tobacco. I'm a firm believer in to each their own and all that, but I stubbornly stick to this one small, insignificant opinion that if you direct lung inhale cigs, you're doing it wrong. Learn to smoke like an adult you wipper snappers :D

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I find all this fascinating. Were you folks who mouth inhale and then breathe it in (the aptly described "milkshake method") taught to do it this way by someone? Or was this just what seemed right?

Well, I read that article on the inhalation technique before I started vaping, but since that's how I smoked it wasn't a change for me. I think I started doing that when I smoked because whenever I'd take direct lung hits I would cough, but that was about 20 years ago so my memory could be off.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, yeah.

When I smoked cigarettes (and, long ago, other things) I'd pull straight into my lungs. I'd keep my tongue flat and my cheeks against my teeth, channeling the smoke back directly into my lungs.

I thought what I'm describing was normal. Am I seriously the only one that did/does it this way?

I don't think there is any Right or Wrong way to vape.

What ever you do and like is the Right Way to vape for you.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
I pretty much fill mouth, then a slight inhale through the nose. Then exhale mostly through nose. It's all about the aroma.

Isn't that how people smoke cigars? Or have I been doing it wrong?

I exhale mostly through the nose. I used to do a french inhale, but it seems like I get better flavor if I just inhale though the mouth, and I feel the TH better this way.

Cyprus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Oregon
I pretty much fill mouth, then a slight inhale through the nose. Then exhale mostly through nose. It's all about the aroma.

Isn't that how people smoke cigars? Or have I been doing it wrong?
I do it like this but with a little more mouth exhale than nose. I don't usually inhale into my lungs very often at all. I'm perfectly happy this way...I get nicotine & plenty of flavor.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I thought what I'm describing was normal. Am I seriously the only one that did/does it this way?
Lots of vapers do this. I'd say search for it but i wouldn't know the right terms to search.
Here are two different polls to take a look at...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/33605-how-do-you-inhale.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/204071-how-do-you-inhale.html

I inhaled directly into the lungs when smoking, and did the same when I started vaping.
And if I didn't have a few concerns, I would still be doing so, but now I try not to inhale into my lungs too much.

Last edited:

Debi

Feb 19, 2013
United States
When I started smoking at age 16, I can remember people being ridiculed because they didn't inhale. And I mean inhale directly into the lungs. If you held it in your mouth, you were faking... pretending to smoke. So, that's how I smoked, directly into the lungs. My vaping gear still hasn't arrived, so I'm anticipating an interesting first session. I'm glad I read this, though, because I like knowing there's a less intrusive way to do it.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I exhale mostly through the nose. I used to do a french inhale, but it seems like I get better flavor if I just inhale though the mouth, and I feel the TH better this way.

French inhale?! You're taking this to a whole new level! Didn't know such a thing even existed. I guess there's a lot of tongue involved?

Edit: Googled it, tried it. Not advisable with strong menthol juice. Think I'm still making funny faces.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Here are two different polls to take a look at...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/33605-how-do-you-inhale.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/204071-how-do-you-inhale.html

I inhaled directly into the lungs when smoking, and did the same when I started vaping.
And if I didn't have a few concerns, I would still be doing so, but now I try not to inhale into my lungs too much.

DC you never cease to amaze me!!! You have a link for everything!! Good Find. I am surprised to see so many people smoked mouth inhale first. I have saved several newbs, that were trying direct lung with vaping. They were ready to give it up....way too harsh. I do feel bad for those that buy a disposable for the first time ,and give up. Trying only one way and not liking it. Not everyone finds ECF. I wish there were some suggestions on the packaging. To each their own, whatever works as long as its not analogs.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I've seen it done all kinds of ways
direct inhale
mouth inhale
french inhale
ring inhale (fun with your girefriend/boyfriend)

I tend to puff - puff - mouth draw - breath in.
but I smoked a pipe that way for 30 years because I was told that you don't get addicted to nicotine as quickly that way. 'course after 30 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread