Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

badtez

Nov 16, 2009
Also would like to say a massive thank you to Eclypse for his/her very kind offer of help.
I got to say i was OMG! when i read it. To offer help to someone totally new and unknown here is something i would have never expected :) But i have been reading a LOT of threads on here since 1st hearing of vaping on sunday (same day i ordered my 510!) and after being normally a P.C components forum kinda guy its so refreshing to see here how people generally have a great attitude to each other regarding advice but also the way people are treated:). A great forum which i will be reffering to constantly through my new vaping adventure!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Also i normally smoke "silk cut silver" which are the lowest % cigs in u.k i believe,( after various step downs from much higher smokes). The juice i have coming is 18mg you guys think it should do me good?
It is also going to depend somewhat on how many you smoked as well though.
And to be honest, only your body can answer that question.

Having said that 18mg might be a good place for you to start.

If you start feeling a bit sick, nauseous, slight headache, it might be too high.
If you feel a bit jittery and feel like you're not getting enough, it might be too low.

badtez

Nov 16, 2009
Hi DC2. well normally about 15 and never a full 20 pack! The side of "silk cut" carton states 1mg tar,0.1mgNic,1mg Carbon Monoxide. Kinda wodering how much of 18mg i should vape a day to be roughly same levels as from 15-20 smokes ? After i have been smoke free for sometime I'll prob try to go as low as poss but trying to find any idea of an amount to help my chances.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Hi DC2. well normally about 15 and never a full 20 pack! The side of "silk cut" carton states 1mg tar,0.1mgNic,1mg Carbon Monoxide. Kinda wodering how much of 18mg i should vape a day to be roughly same levels as from 15-20 smokes ? After i have been smoke free for sometime I'll prob try to go as low as poss but trying to find any idea of an amount to help my chances.
If you smoked less than a pack of very light cigarettes, I will guess that 18mg is a good place to start, but also might be a little high for you. So you might want to have some VG (vegetable glycerin) on hand in case you need to cut it down a bit to lower the nicotine strength.

But since cutting it with VG will also lower the flavor, I might also suggest putting in an order for the same flavor but at a lower nicotine strength. That way you can mix them together in varying amounts until you arrive at the strength that works for you.

Unfortunately, there is always the chance that for whatever reason 18mg will be too low for you.
There really is no clear pattern, and nicotine strength needs seem to be fairly upredictable.

Last edited:

Nursetripp

Oct 17, 2009
Livonia, MI
Found this post a couple days ago and based on all the rave reviews i had to try it. Took me a couple of tries to get it right, and im almost there. I followed the post that suggest to fold a piece in half and that definetely stopped the leaking issue. However it isnt wicking quite as good as i had hoped. Atty gets pretty hot when i'm vaping right now. Also I definetely noticed an odd taste, but i didnt wash the filter prior to using and i'm vaping a new flavor so that could be what im tasting. I'm thinking i may have cut it too long or wide so i will continue to play with it so that it wicks properly. Otherwise i like this method MUCH better the polyfill.

BTW - I'm using the filter sleeves by marineland for HOT magum canisters

Nursetripp

Oct 17, 2009
Livonia, MI
Ok so i have messed with the blue filter pads for a few days now and cannot seem to get it right! Ugh... but i did try the ADM mod with the spring and OMG i love it. Simple and it works. Not only does it work but it works the same way every time, every cart. Tried using the blue foam as the plug for the spring mod, but the polyfill works better. A friend and fellow ecig user purchased a bunch of cigarette filters and I may use that as the plug instead. Bottom line the spring mod is the mod for me.

I have 4 pkgs of 3 filter sleeves if anyone wants to buy them off me. I opened one pkg and the other 3 are unopened. I got them from Petco online... 12 sleeves for $21, which is about 40% off. They are the Marineland bonded sleeves for the HOT magnum canisters, U size. I'd be willing to let all of them go for $16 + shipping.

I live in Michigan but would be willing to ship them anywhere. I read a few posts from some peeps in Australia and UK that cant get them. Send me a private message if you're interested, that way i dont have to keep checking this thread.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Guys here we go :

For the 801 cart a larger cell reticulated foam works best.
For the joye 510 or smaller carts use a smaller cell reticulated foam.

The larger cell foam i found is yellow in color and the brand name is AQUA CLEAR.
made by a company called HAGEN. Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
Product name is "AquaClear 50 Foam Insert".
This foam works wonders in the 801 cart, because it holds liquid somewhat and you can fill the cart up due to the large cell configuration.
I have a picture to show you the exact size of the foam insert for the cart.
Do not compress this foam in the cart. it's size should be 1.2" long by 0.4" by 0.4"

2. For the smaller carts, there is a smaller cell reticulated foam that works better.
the one i am using is brand name MARINELAND "RITE SIZE FOAM SLEEVES"
This insert should be cut 1" x 0.2" 0.2" .

If you drip to one side of the cart , the cart fills up and you will not need a straw or spring...
The yellow reticulated foam has transformed my janty stick.
I do not need to top off the cart anymore, it lasts for 100 puffs.
Furthermore the foam is washable...and it does not get all stiff like fluval or polyfill.

Here are pictures.

I have tried burning the foam, and trust me , you will smell or taste it if it burns. So should your atty fail, you will smell it long before it harms you.

So any "NAY" sayers...go find something better..and return once you have succeeded!!

(Sorry but i'm getting some heavy resistance from a few people who criticize but do not come up with solutions to the problem).

I fully agree with Quovadis. No bad taste, no leaks and good for about 100 puffs.

The AquaClear 50 Foam Insert as the filler for 510 carts is by far the best filler I have used to date. I have been using it as a filler for over a week now and no problems to report.

And I no longer fiddle around with dimensions: After awhile you will know if you have too much or not enough of the foam stuffed in the cart.

If you want a filler that will work without the hazzle of dealing with straws, plugs and rolling tea bags this is the way to go.

The foam is comparable to, if not better than the, oem filler that ships with pre-filled carts.

Just in case any of you ask, I can't compare this mod to the blue foam plug mod as I have never used it.

I have used the LTB (PTB), Scotch-Brite pad with straw mod, Analog cig filters and Walmart Quilting Batting.

Ranking:
1) AquaClear Foam Insert
2) LTB (PTB)
3) Scotch-Brite pad with straw
4) Tie: Analog cig filters and Walmart Qulting Batting.

Thanks for the mod Quovadis :thumbs:

Nursetripp

Oct 17, 2009
Livonia, MI
More blue foam issues... i finally found the right size to cut for my 510 cart and i am using it with the spring mod, but the flavor is nil. The flavor comes thru great using polyfill as the plug but the taste is kinda harsh. Is there a breaking in period with the foam? I'm getting closer to being happy but i'm just not satisfied yet.

Today i finally bought this! It's the 2 blue round ones for the 2213 filter.. I was happy with the ones that came with the 801 carts in my JStick, but after 3 days they start to sag and i constantly had to push them towards the atty.

1st try - i cut it cylindrically roughly twice the width of the cart, same length. Instant mouth full of liquid, too light of a draw and total loss of taste.

so i just cut it in half lenght, filled the cart halfway and put it back. result: same flavour AND draw as the original carts! Or better! In the very least, it's not inconsistent as it was with oldish polyfill since it doesn't move inside the cart and wicks flawlessly..! Only starts to 'feel' like an empty cart when it's completely 'bone dry'..

I'm finally happy now, no straws, springs or any kind of hard to place mods, plus now i can take the foam out with my fingers which i rarely could with the standard polyfill.. fill halfway, put foam back and top up.. lasts much longer.

tomorrow i'll try using 1/3 of the length and maybe 2.5x width, probably harder to fit but hey, more liquid! hope it doesn't change wicking..

btw, i didn't remember to wash it either and it came just in a carton box, no plastic. It says coarse foam filterpad and phenol-free, whatever that is.

zerohalo

Dec 13, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Recently got fed up with the stock fill and tried the straw mod - worked well, but seemed a little inconsistent in my 501 and found it a bit leaky.

During my last ordering binge, found that Strictly E-Juice had 'blue foam' and ordered it - I'm assuming it's the same as described here - it's amazing!

The foam you get from SEJ is cut into small rectangles - I've tried using one (as a 'plug' for just the end of the cartridge with good results, but higher incidents of leaking. Putting in a couple seems to be the perfect fit and function for these carts - very happy with this!

Since I can't post links (yet), I can't provide it here, but navigate to 'cartridge filler' on the strictlyejuice.com site to find it.

Cheers!
-z

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
"The AquaClear 50 Foam Insert as the filler for 510 carts is by far the best filler I have used to date. I have been using it as a filler for over a week now and no problems to report. "

I finally found it at a local pet store. I guess it's for fish ponds or something.

Replying to myself here, but hopefully some one can answer. I "thought" I found AquaClear Foam Insert at the pet food store, but getting home, it's not the "AquaClear 50" but the AquaClear 20"

I have NO idea what 20 or 50 means, but wrong stuff?

CSI

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I picked up the Blue Marineland Bonded filter package and it had been wonderful.
I just cut out a piece that I can stuff into the mouthpiece, just cut it even with the edge. Filled the cart up and pushed it on the atty. The bridge in my 510 seems to push the foam down just enough and it stays in place perfectly.
For me, it's been a no fuss, no mess setup that is working awsome. Consistent vape and very long lasting.
I didn't try to do anything fancy, folds, special shaped cuts, etc. Just eyeballed a piece of foam and stuffed it in.
There has been no odd taste, no burning, etc.

The foam package was about $6 at PetSmart and looks to be a lifetime supply.
Great informative thread going here!
Ken

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
Replying to myself here, but hopefully some one can answer. I "thought" I found AquaClear Foam Insert at the pet food store, but getting home, it's not the "AquaClear 50" but the AquaClear 20"

I have NO idea what 20 or 50 means, but wrong stuff?
The density is the same, they're just different size blocks for different filters..You're good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread