Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
After several refills I noticed that I wasn't able to add as many drops as the first time. I stuck in a straw from my earlier "straw mod" efforts and presto, the cart filled right up! It seems to release the vacuum that is created.

Idid the same, but removed the straw. You will notice at time the flavor of the vapor will get really heavy and hit you more in the sinuses then the throat/chest. This is due to too much fluid on the atty and is not buring off quick enough. This is in my case anyway. I even used the smallest straw I could find (perfume spray straw).

The best alteration I found to the foam mod is cutting the insert so the width at the bottom is the width of the cart. The top of the cart should have a wider area of foam. So, narrow at bottom, wide at top. This should help regulate flow back out of the cart. Once you find consistent delivery of juice you can adjust strength of the juice (nic and flavor). The thinner the juice, the wider the top should be cut.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hey all, I just saw the ADP (??) Mod idea and thought I'd add this to our little forum.
I've been doing this for quite awhile now for my 510 and thought I'd share. I fill the cart with tons of juice and with a small piece of blue foam, basically plug the end. I use the same size as before (a little larger than the cart) just snipped the point off, lasts forever! When I top off I just smash it down, fill and pull it back up. This eliminates the air bubbles. The foam is so springy it stays in place, no spring needed. We should give the Blue Foam a name...lol BFM, blue foam mod! By far the easiest! Glad this finally caught on!

BFM... hmmmm.... I think BF is already used in the tool world. Like BFH is big f'ing hammer. Lol, could work though ;-)

pigspleen

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Saskatchewan
Check out the ADM mod and use it with blue foam, even better!!!

just tried the adm.....not as good as straight up blue foam....its easier to fill no flooding(had to use poly on adm because always flooded)....it is super easy and when i ran dry foam was almost completely dry!!!...we have a winner(ps...i used the ptb double fold for over a month now and this kills it)

xhepera

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
just tried the adm.....not as good as straight up blue foam....its easier to fill no flooding(had to use poly on adm because always flooded)....it is super easy and when i ran dry foam was almost completely dry!!!...we have a winner(ps...i used the ptb double fold for over a month now and this kills it)

Interesting observation re not being as good as the blue foam solo. My experience is a bit different. Even with the foam, my 510 was not doing what I wanted it to do on my un-modded piece. I had pretty much given up use of the straight 510 for the wonderfulness of my Bartleby-enhanced one (in which the blue foam works beautifully). With this spring mod and standard polyfill though, the straight 510 is FANTASTIC! And I am back to using it regularly. A fill lasts forever and gives beautifully consistent vape. I'm actually reluctant to replace the polyfill with the foam since it's working so well.

pigspleen

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Saskatchewan
Interesting observation re not being as good as the blue foam solo. My experience is a bit different. Even with the foam, my 510 was not doing what I wanted it to do on my un-modded piece. I had pretty much given up use of the straight 510 for the wonderfulness of my Bartleby-enhanced one (in which the blue foam works beautifully). With this spring mod and standard polyfill though, the straight 510 is FANTASTIC! And I am back to using it regularly. A fill lasts forever and gives beautifully consistent vape. I'm actually reluctant to replace the polyfill with the foam since it's working so well.

a-ha....i was only using on my bartleby boxmod(510 atty and cart).....does the battery make the differance???

M4jin

Oct 9, 2009
DFW, TX
tried the "fish pad" mod
washed it thoroughly, didnt taste burning, but flavors that were fruity just wouldnt come through. Stuff like coffee tasted fine just dulled
Gone back to the PTB; I cut mine on the top and bottom so its like a ring then fold it in half and roll it up really tight, then pinch and roll till it loosens up a bit, works perfect never drips unless i over fill too much

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC

The ADM mod is much better in performance than the straight up blue foam. You can use the blue foam as the ADM plug. You need to use the standard depth of the foam, just cut a square a little larger than the opening of the cart and tuck the ends in between the spriing and cart wall. I am sure poly works just as well with this, but the blue foam never gives off nasty plastic or burnt tastes.

If using blue foam by itself, cut the piece so it is much wider at top than the bottom. This way the air spaces are larger at the bottom and more compressed toward the top. This will give more consistent draining of the cart.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If using blue foam by itself, cut the piece so it is much wider at top than the bottom. This way the air spaces are larger at the bottom and more compressed toward the top. This will give more consistent draining of the cart.
Today I am experimenting with cutting it almost like a "T" shape.
So far so good, but it's still early in the day.

After that, I am going to try the ADM spring mod.
:)

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
tried the "fish pad" mod
washed it thoroughly, didnt taste burning, but flavors that were fruity just wouldnt come through. Stuff like coffee tasted fine just dulled
Gone back to the PTB; I cut mine on the top and bottom so its like a ring then fold it in half and roll it up really tight, then pinch and roll till it loosens up a bit, works perfect never drips unless i over fill too much

No overfilling the ADM mod, 12 drops every time, vape till dry! I get 14 drops out of my 3ml bottles, but that is just difference in drop sizes. Fill to the middle of the spring, put in foam dry. The foam will absorb some so you can tuck in the sides, I use tweezers. Cart lasts me about an hour of constant vaping (and I mean constant!).

MumblinBerk

Nov 9, 2009
Hello, All.
My first post here.
Have been lurking around for quite a while.

My search for a really good 801 cart mod ended when I found this tread.
The open-cell material is perfect for this application. It holds the liquid without absorbing, and releases it freely.

I'm using A/C filter material (same basic honey-comb) with a 1/4 inch "plug" of polly fill at the tip, almost flush, so it contacts the bridge. Been vaping it heavily for an hour now, and NONE of the usual problems.

I'm using the pass-through at the moment, so on 5 volts, the vape is HUGE and consistent. I'll be on battery all day tomorrow. Hopefully, it will FINALLY be the trouble-free unit I've been working toward.

Otherwise, back to dripping.

For those who are keeping track: My material is folded in half length-wise. No other trimming. Very thin plug of poly-fill (1/4"?) very close to the lip. The spring-action of this type foam holds a nice positive pressure against the bridge, and delivers the juice on demand.

I'm suprised I had not heard of this mod before.
It's a great fix.
Someone needs to get a video out there, and spread the word.

-Berk

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been busy with cart mods the past couple of weeks since I got my e-cig.

The cart filler that came with my 902 was meh.
Poly stuffing wasn't much better and a pain to use.
Natural wool wasn't doing it for me. I never found the "right" amount to use.
PTB was just a disaster. After a dozen attempts, the only juice that wasn't locked in the PTB was what leaked.
Fluval Pads were pretty good, once I figured out the right size..
Fluval pads with a straw - even better. I thought I had found the best it was ever going to get.
Dripping was a pain in the .... and not an option while driving.

Then I got the blue foam - Marineland Ritesize U.

How do I put this? F-ing A... this is the *****... it Rocks... this mod is t*ts... incredible... excellent.... bordering on perfection.... devinely inspired... whoever came up with this idea - I want to buy you a beer (and I might even throw in a homemade apple pie)!!!!!!! Thank you so very much :)

Did I mention I really really like this stuff?

As for how I did it: The first time, it was too tight and was hard to draw. The second try was too loose and leaked in my ourse. To get the perfect size, I cut off the seems and layed it down flat. Then I traced around my cart with a fine sized sharpie. When cut out on the lines, it is a little bit bigger than the cart. I put about 20 drops in the cart, then slid the foam into it with the help of a paperclip. (The essential tool of all vapers) I am able to add about 15 more drops before it pools. To refill, I smoosh it down again (not down tot he bottom, but against the side of the cart) with the paperclip. It takes almost the whole 35 drops like the intital filling. I use both PG juice and a 50/50 PG/VG, and it works well for both.

I seriously vape - inhale through PV, exhale, inhale through PV, exhale, repeat. I don't come up for air. I breath while I'm refilling a cart and while I sleep. A 902 cart with blue foam lasts me about the life of a fully charged battery - about three hours.

My mom told me to get an e-cig for my dad. Before I give it to him, I'm going to fill all of his carts with blue foam. I love this stuff!

Thanks again. I'm serious about the beer.

~A

MumblinBerk

Nov 9, 2009
Update, and observations:

Have been experimenting with differnet foam configurations, sizes, folds, cuts, plugs, etc.

Swapped out the A/C filter material for the "real" blue stuff. (Marineland Ritesize "U")
They are almost identical. The blue is a slightly denser, prettier, and a whole lot more expensive. Other than that, they work identically. I now have a life-time supply.

One thing: You MUST wash this stuff. As others have said, it absolutely has SOMETHING on it. My first trial with it I forgot that step. NASTY, hash, don't do it. Strikes me as odd, since fish are so delicate. Maybe it's an anti-fungal treatment or something.

Gave it a good long wash in hot soapy water, long rinse, clean soak. (the rest of it is all going in the top rack of my dishwasher for the next cycle.)

As for packing the cart, I got the best results with the simplest config. (with 801 carts) A single straight piece, slightly wider than the cart, and cut flush with the top. Pressure from the bridge pushes back down the cart a bit which fills any gaps. It seems "less is more" with this stuff. You want just enough material to keep it from falling out.

Wonderful results. Great vape, and it uses every last drop of juice. I love it.
It's like auto-dripping, and cart lasts ALL day long.

That's also the down-side. If you leave the pen tilted downward, gravity will take that juice right on through the atty and into your battery. Laying horizontally did not cause a problem. Juice thickness is probably a factor, also.

I had it in my top pocket all day at work (tip down, bat up), zero problems. Topped it off before work. Swapped bats after about 5 hours. Home about 6 hours later plugged into the pass-through for some net browsing while charging bats. Put a fresh bat on and off to bed. Still plenty of vape left to see me through morning coffee. It's almost 9 a.m. now, and ran dry just before this post.

Whomever came up with this: they should build a statue of you in the e-Cig Hall Of Fame. I nod politely in your general direction.

-berk

badtez

Nov 16, 2009
Hi everyone! Well I'll be gettin my first ever vaporizer tomorrow a Joye510 after reading up on here ;). Im interested in trying the blue foam mod but i cant find any sites in the U.K or any sites that do international shipping :(
Ive looked at ebay and amazon also but the stuff on the U.S amazon site isnt the size "U" that i believe i would want for a 510? If anyone can help would be really nice :)

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI

Damn thats half the price i paid at the same store Petco. Should contact them and see if its the RITE SIZE "U".

I hope you can find it badtez.. If not let me know and maybe i can pic up a bag and sell/ship it to you. If its the same 3 pack i have it should last you prob as long as you vape! hehe. Lifetime if its used in small plug form over the full cart.

badtez

Nov 16, 2009
I just looked at Petco through that link but alas also no international shipping from there either :( Lol im not having much luck! Just got home from work now to find my 510 has been taken back to the local depot because there was noone in to accept delivery so wont have it till tommorow again now!! I just wanna get started and get off the damned analouges! Also i normally smoke "silk cut silver" which are the lowest % cigs in u.k i believe,( after various step downs from much higher smokes). The juice i have coming is 18mg you guys think it should do me good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread