Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I just got three last Thursday, but my home-grown fishtsicks are still doing great, and I don't want to tear any of my RBAs down right now - they are all running just terrific. Just a dry-burn every-other tankful keeps the coils & wicks running like I just wrapped them (maybe better).

If I break one of them, I'll throw in one of the FC2000 slotted and see if there's a major difference (or buy another genny-style rba...but right now, I'm good).

I think the only thing that will make me tear any of them down at this point is if I can get my hands on one of the BD13s...

So far, these things are as close to a permanent wick/coil as I've seen...and rather surprising.

same here, the vape has been so consistant and great that I couldn't imagine it much better. I guess it gets to a point where unless something major comes along theres not much to add.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
What did you use to make your fish sticks?
I just got three last Thursday, but my home-grown fishtsicks are still doing great, and I don't want to tear any of my RBAs down right now - they are all running just terrific. Just a dry-burn every-other tankful keeps the coils & wicks running like I just wrapped them (maybe better).

If I break one of them, I'll throw in one of the FC2000 slotted and see if there's a major difference (or buy another genny-style RBA...but right now, I'm good).

I think the only thing that will make me tear any of them down at this point is if I can get my hands on one of the BD13s...

So far, these things are as close to a permanent wick/coil as I've seen...and rather surprising.

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
What did you use to make your fish sticks?

Just the usual TopFin bubble stone from Petsmart. Same as Dan & most others seem to be using. If you can keep from breaking them, they seem to last forever....I have a few wicks that I made a couple of months ago that are still running perfectly.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
ya its hard taking out a perfectly good wick just for testing but I do it a lot. whenever I take out a good wick & coil I make sure to keep the wire on the wick and take them out as a whole, this way whenever you need to re-install it, its all there ready to go back in, no re-coiling necessary.

I did the same thing yesterday, my juice was getting a bit dark. I'm not sure how old this setup was... a 25g. Did a few dry burn, still I felt it needed a bit more.
Since you cannot bend the 25g, I took both the ground screw and top screw out, removed the wick as is and torched it red, with the coil. the coil didn't move one bit. I put it back into place, no fiddling whatsoever. screws back, like it never happened.
Just incredible...

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I did the same thing yesterday, my juice was getting a bit dark. I'm not sure how old this setup was... a 25g. Did a few dry burn, still I felt it needed a bit more.
Since you cannot bend the 25g, I took both the ground screw and top screw out, removed the wick as is and torched it red, with the coil. the coil didn't move one bit. I put it back into place, no fiddling whatsoever. screws back, like it never happened.
Just incredible...

after an initial coil set-up by either hot wrapping or electric wrap sometimes you have to tweek here and there, like re tightening the neg or pos because of some initial slack, but after a day the coils settle in and don't move ever again, in fact they seem to get even tighter on the wick after a while, so its nice that when you take one off you don't have to worry about it. so what was that holster thing you mentioned? just something to hold your mod on your belt? you called it a caravela holster.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
it looks like a wallet, camel leather.. you can put a small mod and a few bats in it.. really nice. But its really made for the vela latina.
I think it can accommodate a 18350 and a short DID easily. So I'm kinda struggling to make that work. An unsealed Atty in it would be a disaster. I got a few slotted on the way, supposedly: will boost the wicking to compensate for the closed fill hole. All theory tho!

edit: btw its really produced by Pedro for the Caravela. Have a look at the forum, there are a few pics..

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
it looks like a wallet, camel leather.. you can put a small mod and a few bats in it.. really nice. But its really made for the vela latina.
I think it can accommodate a 18350 and a short DID easily. So I'm kinda struggling to make that work. An unsealed Atty in it would be a disaster. I got a few slotted on the way, supposedly: will boost the wicking to compensate for the closed fill hole. All theory tho!

edit: btw its really produced by Pedro for the Caravela. Have a look at the forum, there are a few pics..

will check it out. so is your DID the only one that has a problem when the fill hole is in? don't remember if i tried it with the DID before but i have tried it with my others and really didn't see much of a difference in vaping with the fill holes closed. the channeled wicks should make the difference not only for better wicking but with a better airflow around the wick hole, hope it works for you.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
The DID is actually the only one I can close with a screw. Its just that at 20 watts, closing the fill hole is usually not an option.
The good thing is that the FC is already able to sustain a 20 watt setup with a closed fill hole (which is already a wow factor) but it produces less vapor. If I can't eat the whole cake I'll just go back to a 1ohm setup...
I've seen ppl building really angry coils on Nextel, that may be an option too...

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
Since I got my March 2013 FC-2000s (non-slotted) set up with 28ga Kanthal, I sort of lost the itch to tinker with them because they've been working flawless for what? ... must be getting close to 2 months now, no cleaning, nothing, just add juice -- like it works right out of the box.

Now it's just sit back & enjoy time ... and if I worry about anything it's that I don't want to spend an hour setting one back up again. Hey, by the time one does break down I may have forgotten how to coil it ... lol

These things are so reliable now that I no longer take a back-up with me on short errands.

Man, I love my RBAs, the 3 mechs and the new jaw-dropping high drain Orby 2900s I just got. What was an endless chain of complaints about vaping hardware just a few months back, has become the smoothest quit-smoking ride imaginable. Too much s**t to learn and too much money wasted to get to this point, but in the end it was worth the journey. Knowledge is power. I envy the future vaping generation ... lol

Barto

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Kapetown
DV has wicks in stock
glare.gif
NIce, gonna get me some!

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
Since I got my March 2013 FC-2000s (non-slotted) set up with 28ga Kanthal, I sort of lost the itch to tinker with them because they've been working flawless for what? ... must be getting close to 2 months now, no cleaning, nothing, just add juice -- like it works right out of the box.

Now it's just sit back & enjoy time ... and if I worry about anything it's that I don't want to spend an hour setting one back up again. Hey, by the time one does break down I may have forgotten how to coil it ... lol

These things are so reliable now that I no longer take a back-up with me on short errands.

Man, I love my RBAs, the 3 mechs and the new jaw-dropping high drain Orby 2900s I just got. What was an endless chain of complaints about vaping hardware just a few months back, has become the smoothest quit-smoking ride imaginable. Too much s**t to learn and too much money wasted to get to this point, but in the end it was worth the journey. Knowledge is power. I envy the future vaping generation ... lol

so right, long journey and much cash to get here...
I can get used to not rebuilding anything!

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia

Talking batteries mate, I just got a couple of Blazar 18650 3400mah batts. They are bloody huge though. You can fit them in a Paps 2.1 if you remove the telescoping post altogether. Nice direct connection straight to the brass atty connection and no need to adjust anything on changing batteries. Too fat for the chi you though. I get two full days out of one of these gong at it pretty hard. The guy sells these on eBay (Aus) and has them made from Panasonic internals. They are the real deal. I was disappointed at first because of the size but now I have a solution I just love them. He is a top guy as well. When I told him about the size issue he sent me two more (different) batteries for free.

DSmooch

ECF Veteran
Crazy but true. I didn't know myself and just looked it up. That's a 2 years old little girl that supposedly ingested a few drops of juice.
Honestly I'm a bit skeptical a few drops could be fatal to a toddler but that's what the info suggests. The juice was sent to a lab... the parents face charges for negligence.
The whole e-cig controversy is now refueled for good... this won't be without consequences.

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Crazy but true. I didn't know myself and just looked it up. That's a 2 years old little girl that supposedly ingested a few drops of juice.
Honestly I'm a bit skeptical a few drops could be fatal to a toddler but that's what the info suggests. The juice was sent to a lab... the parents face charges for negligence.
The whole e-cig controversy is now refueled for good... this won't be without consequences.

I agree mate. Just wondering if they ordered a bottle of juice with the little red dot from the site that shall not be named? I have been fearing this for a while. Either an accidental fatality from ordering the wrong thing or a child getting a hold of the stuff. If it was regular strength e-juice I do not see how a few drops would have been fatal. It must be kept in mind though that any NRT product (lozenges, gum, patches etc) could produce the same results if not kept away from little ones. No doubt thought the haters out there will now demonize e-cig users. Really feel for the parents now though. They must be devastated, now they will possibly crucified by media as well.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Yup, things did get a little slower...I remember coiling up Vivi's every other day about nine months ago.

BTW very good deal on those high drain batts if you are comfortable with a chinese vendor: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...onic-ncr18650pd-18650-36v-2900mah-rechargeabl

Use coupon: CPASTE13SPRING for a bit of an extra discount.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

im in the same boat couldn't be happier, but I kind of miss messing around and trying for that great vape(which I have now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread