FDA seizes documents from Juul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
This is where I Disagree. Because we are in a e-Cigarette Realm where you Guilty until Proven Innocent.

If juul is a Bad Actor (I really don't think they are) and their Documents show that they are, then they should Pay the Penalty for doing so. But if their Documents Don't show this, then that should be Publically Known.

juul is just the Fall Guy right now. Everyone knows that you have to have a Fall Guy we can all Kick. Because if we Didn't, we might have to think about Tough Concepts like the Inability to stop a Baseline Percentage of Minors from doing things we don't want them to do.

Like Smoking Cigarettes
Or Drinking
Or Smoking ....
Or doing Drugs
Or having Sex
Or Driving Too Fast
Or ________ (Fill in what You Don't want a Minor to Do.)

Whether Juul is convicted or not vaping will be in the public’s eye. If innocent, less stereotypical opinions will be formed. If guilty, well the witch hunt will begin. Regardless this is a lose, lose situation – it’s all about damage control now.

If vaping is a problem amongst minors, removing Juul is not going to correct the issue – they will find something else to vape.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Actually it is really on the parents to know what their kids do and regulate their own childrens' behavior and actions. As it always has been. Why the FDA has chosen this fight is oblivious. Two birds, etc....

This almost ensures that closed systems is the way vaping is going to go so the FDA can monitor and regulate them. So stock up on your favs now before you can not.

Oh I agree about the parents 100%. The thing is, there are multiple laws being broken by teenagers from purchasing "tobacco" to fraud of different types. The thing is, no one wants to punish them for it. Oh, no can't put that on their record, it'll haunt them for life.

So that leaves one option, punish adult vapers. Since something has to be done and all. No matter what the FDA does, it won't stop a thing. Why make more laws or rules? That doesn't work, when you don't enforce the laws and rules already on the books.

If our gov. would spend half the energy enforcing laws, that they spend on making new ones, we'd probably have many less problems.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
OMG- the Gestapo FDA is closing in!
You know, if they did not have a warrant, anything they took is useless. Is an agency even allowed to act like the police? This whole thing just reeks, doesn't it?

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Why again is the FDA threatening to ban internet sales of ecigs when according to the study cited in the article....has nothing to do with vape shops or the internet. I guess its just the flavoring on the internet? Hard to keep up with when the FDA is spouting off so many different things at the same time...
Retail sales of Juul grew more than seven-fold from 2016 to 2017, according to a study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). By December, Juul comprised nearly 1 in 3 e-cigarette sales nationally, it said. The CDC study of retail sales did not include online sales or sales at “vape shops.”

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If vaping is a problem amongst minors, removing Juul is not going to correct the issue – they will find something else to vape.

We know this.
And the Kids know this.
And the FDA Knows this.
And the People Beating the Drum Demanding that the FDA Should be Doing "Something" know this.

A Better Question is Who are the People who Don't Know this? And in an Election Year, can you Swing their Vote if they aren't Voting for You (or your Party) already?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why again is the FDA threatening to ban internet sales of ecigs when according to the study cited in the article....has nothing to do with vape shops or the internet. ...

Maybe it has something to do with appeasing Drum Beaters who might Also play a Role in Agency Funding ?
Or that it "Protects" States when it comes to State Tobacco Taxes/Fees ?
Or that it is Good for BT in Dominating a Market that they have kinda Slipped in ?

Dunno?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
...Everything e-Cigarette-wise seems to be Tried in the Court of Public Appeal. And the Mainstream Media is Judge, Jury, and Executioner. ...

E-Cigarettes hardly have a corner on the market for such activity by the mainstream media.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Stupid kids. I can't have a good bowl of poporie by my front door anymore because the dumbass kids started smoking the stuff and the helicopter parents demanded big brother protect their dumbasses from themselves.
Good luck finding mini blinds with a decent string now cuz the idiots were hanging themselves to get high.
Now this.
What's next? Gotta show ID to buy laundry detergent? FDA raids the makers of Tide?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, they really have gone hog wild with the authority congress gave them, but still I can't help but wonder if this isn't a slippery slope also. Inspection is one thing, confiscation of documents is quite another. And I don't remember reading that when I read what the congress gave them the right to regulate.

It's all Kinda Upside Down and Sideways.

Because when Much of the FDA's power was Legislated to them, it was a time when BT had been running very Hot and Loose. And many felt that BT was OOC (Out of Control).

In a More perfect world, Congress should have Created a Modern Agency to Regulate e-Cigarettes.

Verses allowing the Round Peg of e-Cigarettes to be Pounding into the Square Hole of Tobacco Products via "Deeming".

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
No 50mg is 5%. I think someone is mixing the two up. It's easy to do.

:)
You're right about the 5%. But on the package it says, "1 JUULpod contains - 0.7 mL with 5% nicotine by weight // approximately equivalent to about 1 pack of cigarettes" How do you get 50mg out of that?

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You're right about the 5%. But on the package it says, "1 JUULpod contains - 0.7 mL with 5% nicotine by weight // approximately equivalent to about 1 pack of cigarettes" How do you get 50mg out of that?

Pure Nicotine is 1001mg/1ml

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the FDA is actually allowed to do this at any point. I think the idea was more that drug manufacturers needed to be in compliance with... Well a whole bunch of standards, so the FDA is exercising it's right to do so.

However, given the media circus surrounding Juul, I do not believe it to be a genuine "move to correct," I think it was strategic. In the court of public opinion, Juul has done something wrong "Otherwise, why would the FDA take that step?"

Think about the number of drug busts you hear about as they happen. If the person is innocent, you may read about a retraction somewhere on page 764 paragraph 25 a brief "retraction" of the event. So, in the court of public opinion, Juul (and vaping) have already been tried, sentenced and executed, and whether Juul is guilty of this or not, it is made to LOOK guilty via the FDAs actions.

I'm not huge Juul fan in particular, but I am a fan of the open market and the seizing of documents etc., WILL have an effect, whether Juul is guilty of anything or not. My initial thought is that Juul is probably guilty of nothing more regarding minors than any other manufacturer. They aren't targeting teens.

If that happens to be the case, very little will be said. If they find ONE half a sentence indicating that a Juul marketer even thought about a teen, ANY teen (including fond memories of their own) while at work, we will hear about it absolutely endlessly.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread