Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Im getting a really strong alcohol smell from the pga N.E.T. Will that go away after a while, or do you have to evaporate the alcohol ?
PGA extracting needs an evaporating step... once I cold filter my tobacco/PGA, I place the extract into a small stainless steel bowl that fits/floats in the crock pot... I put the temp control to low to start with to bring the temp up and then go to warm setting. It takes about 4-6 hours for 6-8 oz of PGA extract to reduce to 70-100 ml. try not to let the water temp get above 150F... I find that if it goes above 150, the extract become bitter tasting....

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I agree with Bunnykiller, evaporation is a important step. Evaporation (reduction), concentrates the extract so when you mix it you need/use a smaller percentage of extract i.e. 7% instead of 20%. I use my ethanol based extracts between 2 - 7% and don't really notice/taste the small percentage of alcohol that is present. PGA is commonly used to help thin high VG mixes and when mixing NET using an ethanol based extract I increase the VG content. My typical mix is around 75% VG, 18% PG (includes any concentrated flavorings), and up to 7% ethanol based tobacco extract.

Even if I intend to transfer the tobacco flavor from ethanol into PG or VG I would start by reducing the ethanol extract first. For 100ml of extract I will evaporate around 70ml off before mixing it with the PG or VG. Once mixed I would gently heat the mixture (100 - 120F), in a wide and open container to evaporate the remaining ethanol off.

In addition to producing a cleaner, better performing NET, using ethanol as the extraction solvent provides many options such as concentrating the extract or transferring the flavor into a different base.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I did a raspberry tea extract... loved the raspberry flavor, didnt care too much for the tannin taste. But over several months, the tannin taste drops out and the raspberry really kicked in.... but several months of aging.... thats a bit too long for me :)

Devilstompa

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2015
Right now I have 3 N.E.T.'s Cold Steeping in 100% PG One of them is a tobacco infused with coffee hoping it will be very good. Its hard cause I like the darker notes PG/VG gives but I really like the ease on the coils with using PGA. I guess I will stick with using Pg and have to deal with doing more maintenance on the coils will try to filter it better right now im only using the Aeropress standard filters. Thank you for the help

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Yes, you can mix PG and PGA in any ratio to form a "blended" extraction solvent. The only problem is that PG interferes with precipitating out (freeze filtering), the oils, resin and wax pulled during extraction. You'll end up sacrificing most of the performance benefits normally associated with a PGA extraction.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Yes, you can mix PG and PGA in any ratio to form a "blended" extraction solvent. The only problem is that PG interferes with precipitating out (freeze filtering), the oils, resin and wax pulled during extraction. You'll end up sacrificing most of the performance benefits normally associated with a PGA extraction.
I mean extract both ways, then combine the two for broader spectrum flavor profile.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I mean extract both ways, then combine the two for broader spectrum flavor profile.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Yes, you can mix PGA and PG based extractions together in any ratio you like. The only downside is that inclusion of a PG based extract will reduce the cleanliness of your mixed NET making it less friendly on coils/wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread