Flavour extraction by soaking in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
Except the nicotine will be out of it of course ;) (after cooking that water-mix)
DevilFish, you complained before in another post about not getting vapour with the extract you bought in the shop there. So... how would you expect that same extract suddenly beginning to give vapour after you add a water-mix to it? (All that does is give léss vapor...).

Just order some extracts at BarryFarm... no way that customs is going to stop that I think, has nothing to do with e-smoking liquid... and then you have some good substance to go from....
:confused:hmm so the soaked liquid must boil??????
for how long ?than add to flavour extract?

jimmy

Sep 3, 2008
hi , i am a newbie to these e-cig as i just got my 1st from china, don't know about the style and brand though ,

first i want to thank all of you who have helped me understand more about the works of these e-cig through these forum,

through the forums i read how to mix the glycerin and water and i did , worked fantastic

there are a couple of more question though , if i want to add the flavours of vanilla or cherry etc , do i just add it to the glycerin water mixture and smoke it away or do i wait a certain time ?

btw i live in Jakarta Indonesia and i can get the Gudang Garam International Brand , if anyone is interested let me know :D

thank you so much mods for the forum it has helped me a lot :thumb:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Hi Smith, welcome to the forum.

There are two ways of approaching making your own eliquid, one is to try to extract nicotine and flavour from a tobacco product and mix with a carrier and sometimes some other flavours. One of the problems with this method is not knowing how potent the nicotine content is. Another problem is potential dangers of handling nicotine. I can't give you any guidance on this method because I've not tried it.

Another way is to use high nicotine commercial eliquid as a source of nic and dilute it with other ingredients. There is some information on that method on this post - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/2498-lorann-candy-flavours-2.html#post44365

There isn't a guide yet because we've just been making it up as we go along. Everyone seems to have different methods, theories and recipes. You can add yours when you've had a go, the more experience we share the better.

Good luck with it.

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
Thanks! My name is Wendell. I plan to play around alot with this. I have gone almost 2 weeks without smoking now, and I am trying to get the most out of the ecig.

I am trying to get alot of smoke (vapour), and that harsh feeling in your lungs.

What is the % of the mix usually? 80% glycerene, 10% water, 10% whatever? How much water is too much to add into the mix?

I found some glycerene that I am going to order today (at my home brew shop) BP grade. I have about 15 grams of tobacco left from when I did smoke, and I was thinking I would play around with the nicotine extraction. Maybe just boil in water or something. After that the "wicked" brand looks pretty good.

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
Actually after thinking about it, I want to know how this works. If you only need .05-1.0 cigarettes in order to make a large batch of eliquid, then how is this laced with strong nicotine? People smoke these things 1 full cigarette at a time, how can adding some water to extract the nicotine get as much nicotine to last you 6 months to a year? I am just trying to understand how this nicotine extraction works.

lzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
czech republic
Is there an easy to follow guide on how to make eliquid? I am new to this and don't want to mess up anything. I have read alot from this forum but I couldn't find a full guide.

yes it is but u need some laboratory glass to make steam distillation because if u soak tabaco in the water u get more tar and fats then the flavour and nicotine, so the best way is use soxhlet extractor and them use petroleter to clean the distillation liquid then mix with PG or VG and u get very nice and clean eliquid... yep and dont wory about the nicotine amount because is very low ... to kill human u need aroun 60mg to eat or drop on skin and make 60mg of pure nicotine by this way is nearly imposible even if u manage do that u never get concentrat of some drops... teoreticly u can get around 1 gram of 40% nicotine from half kilo of first class pipe tabbaco

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
to kill human u need aroun 60mg to eat or drop on skin and make 60mg of pure nicotine by this way is nearly imposible even if u manage do that u never get concentrat of some drops... teoreticly u can get around 1 gram of 40% nicotine from half kilo of first class pipe tabbaco

I.e. 400mg/ml solution? That easily would kill by absorption. Of course if you have access to the lab glassware and enough expertise to distil to this concentration, you would probably also know about the proper safety protocols ;)

Extracting your own nicotine (without lab access) sounds messy and dangerous. It certainly doesn't save any money, unless you grow your own tobacco.

I say: stock up on the 36mg/ml liquid while it lasts ;)

lzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
czech republic
I.e. 400mg/ml solution? That easily would kill by absorption. Of course if you have access to the lab glassware and enough expertise to distil to this concentration, you would probably also know about the proper safety protocols ;)

Extracting your own nicotine (without lab access) sounds messy and dangerous. It certainly doesn't save any money, unless you grow your own tobacco.

I say: stock up on the 36mg/ml liquid while it lasts ;)

u cant get 400mg/ml that is imposible and try to drink by accident quater liter of tabaco extract.... and money saving? yep i see in usa u get 30ml of eliquid fo 9$ but here in czech republic its 60$

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
u cant get 400mg/ml that is imposible and try to drink by accident quater liter of tabaco extract.... and money saving? yep i see in usa u get 30ml of eliquid fo 9$ but here in czech republic its 60$

So the 1gram 40% nic is solid then? Would make sense (I have zero experience with concentrated nicotine).

Tobacco isn't too expensive in the Czech Republic, so it would be reasonable to make your own extracts. Just be careful... ;)

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I read somthing on the Right to Vape forum that each cigarette had 10mg nicotine in it but we only get about 1.2mg from smoking the cig. I would be careful with cigarette tobacco.

Taz is right guys so head up here--Trying to fiqure out nicotine content if you soak tobacco is playing with fire. Nicotine is poision--don't do it. Thanks--Taz---Sun:thumb:

Reactions: MisterVapes

lzx

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
czech republic
so im soak 50g of cherry pipe tobacco chop into powder in 500ml of water for 24 hours then filter and put 25ml of DIETHYLETHER, shake sometimes for another 24 hours then gently separate the upper layer, evaporate the DIETHYLETHER and get around 500mg yellow substance witch have identical smell and after mixing with 50ml of VG identical taste of the cherry tobacco when u smoke it... and im still alive..... 50g tobacco cost 5$ - 1l VG 6$ - 1l DIETHYLETHER 4.50$ = 15.5$, 50ml of tasteless chemical thinks from china cost 50$ voala :rolleyes:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I have a mixture of Skoal Apple tobacco, and distilled water on the stove now. The house smells like a tobacco farm! :blink: I brought it to a low boil, and then removed it from the heat source... I will let that sit for most of the day, and then strain it through a coffee filter. I buy my VG by the gallon (Kosher VG only) for $42.00 per gallon. I have found it for as low as $11.00 per gallon, but it's the 99% USP - not 100%. It should be here by Monday - I hope!

I know you can extract the pure nicotine by boiling off all of the water, but I'm not comfortable with the proper mixture when dealing with pure nicotine...

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Okay... Couldn't wait. I was able to fill 3 x 15 ml bottles with the Apple Skoal extract. I filtered it through a non-scented paper towel. I figured since Skoal is a quick-release tobacco, and has a higher nicotine content than that of cigarettes, I wouldn't need to wait as long. What I've ended-up with is wonderful! I mixed the extract with some spare VG, and some Loranne carmel flavoring. Carmel apples anyone? The tobacco flavor is tremendous too!

I may end-up boiling the Skoal down inside a coffee filter. I will then remove the "bag" before boiling the extract all the way down. I will then pour in my VG (no PG) to avoid having to retrieve the pure nicotine from the pot. This will be the "premix" so to speak... I can then add some distilled water and additional flavoring. The problem with the "tea-bag" method is knowing just how concentrated the nicotine is prior to mixing the VG?

Remember: ALWAYS USE DISTILLED WATER.

Last edited:

scapegoat

May 20, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Threshold, I've done quite a few "experiments" in trying to leach the tobacco flavor out and into a carrier.. my best luck has been with Everclear. Total immersion with a lot of shaking when I can, especially when using unadulterated tobacco leaves. It also intensifies the PGA smell quite noticably IMO.

I've come to a rather dismal conclusion however, with this and any vape that has PGA in it, even in small amounts. It doesn't take but a couple of hits and I start losing my voice, everytime. Immediately after hitting it my voice goes up in register, like I'm going through puberty all over again, and quickly gets to the point I can't effectively talk without sounding like I'm getting a bad cold.

Distilled water is a close 2nd, and adding heat helps as long as you're not trying to bring over nicotine too, 'cause the heat will kill most or all of the nic. Best of luck to ya and keep us posted....

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Good info to know... Thanks! I guess I'll just stick with leaching the tobacco into the distilled water mixture. I'm thinking that the best way to extract the nicotine would be to let the water evaporate naturally?

Hell, I may not even be getting any nicotine. Maybe I'm just vaping flavored VG and water? :unsure:

I read that you can boil-down a package of chewing tobacco, and then retrieve the pure nicotine. Is this true?

There's always synthetic nicotine...:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread