• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Game changer? pyrex ss hybrid wick by Scubabatdan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Damn, thought I was the first. Someone on the main thread started talking about it later last night.

If the juice is being vaporized off of a glass surface, that's probably an optimally clean vape.

Kill, now I know why you look like that. Now while I might have "said something like that" you articulated my intellectual mush with great clarity and panache. I stand in awe....no shock just awe.

Another idea.
One glass tube inside another with a coil wrapped inside the inner surface of the inner tube. The inner tube is sealed at the top.

Either mesh or cotton to coat the surface of the inner tube with juice. The juice vaporizes off the hot glass of the inner tube.

Kind if like juice being vaporized on the surface of a lightbulb.

Enough already

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
You could follow the original thread here

As for an update, I think some people moved on to ceramic coated resistance wires. People still trying out the quartz/ss mesh but from a quick glance, I find most report slightly less than better results that the normal set up.

I still have my pyrex in the original mailing box - still waiting for an aga-t purchase. (My did clone is falling apart and don't want to mess with my zap :))

Tgoode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Ontario
tgoode.zenfolio.com
Thanks for the info. Waiting for juggies to have them in stock and just get it with my next juice order.

Question - did you order the aga-t with the clear tube? If so, could you tell me if it is threaded?

Thanks
yes, I ordered them with clear tubes. No, the tube is not threaded - it is held in compression against an o-ring in the bottom and top caps. The aga uses a coaxial conductor design, like the did does. The ground is a hollow tube that is threaded ans screws in to the bottom and top caps.

BrianCig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2012
Canada
I don't think it is a game changer. I have been following the threads for a couple weeks and was even thinking of getting into the co-op for fused quarts 10mm pieces that had been annealed and flame polished. I decided not to.

I respect BJ43 and his opinions. He gave up on the idea after doing tests on 36 variation in 8 different setups :(

Not to put cold water on anyone's dreams, but I would recommend everyone read the results threads on this mod in the modding section, This is not as optimal as was thought in the beginning. I ended up with about 8 ft of 3mm quartz from friends who sent for testing, and IMO it is a waste of money. Just my opinion, but read, before spending your money and ask those who have made them if they are still vaping them after a few weeks. I made 36 variations in 8 different set ups. DUD, Chobra, and AGA T, and am not vaping any after testing for a couple of weeks. Sorry.

Pyrex isn't as safe as fused quartz because it doesn't take heating/cooling as well. Think of leaving your pv in your car in the cold winter then hitting it for a vape :blink:

Cutting fused quartz is very hard to do as it tends to shatter into tiny bits/fragments. Even if you are able to cut the fused quartz it is then not safe as it needs to be annealed and flame polished.

There was a guy who has worked with glass for years in the original thread who explained all of this. When you cut the glass it may look fine but if you shine polarized light through it you can see the waves aren't even. This shows that while the glass looks normal it is actually under stress. When you anneal the glass you heat it up to the point just before it melts. The stress in the glass is then released.

I decided the risk of puffing on my pv and having one of these glass tube blow up while I inhale isn't worth the risk.

Using fused quartz that has been annealed, and flame polished should be safe. Problem with that is even with a .3mm thickness it just isn't very efficient. See post below.

Just not an efficient producer of vaper, the best I could get was about 60% of the vaper compared to a regular genesis, and it gets very hot, so hot that you can actually burn yourself with the cap if you are a heavy vaperer. As a Physicist I won't get into all the different thermal and expansion forces going on in that small tube when you heat it, so lets just leave it at not efficient.

hmmm?......wonder if there is some rule you aren't allowed to quote from the co-op section outside of the co-op section? If so and a mod reads this please leave my post but remove the quotes I added from BJ43.

Thanks

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I still have some glass tube on the way with some mesh, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. However it looks like Scubabatdan has already moved on to porous ceramic as a possible wick relpacement and he's having good luck with it so far. I'm very interested in seeing his results and maybe being able to get my hands on some to try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread