Status
Not open for further replies.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Sucks about your screws, which version is that? I found wicking dead easy, rewicked a couple times for flavor change though. Wick holes are small, but I've had no issues with up to 90VG keeping up @25 watts.

Mine is doing very well, flavor is more intense then Rose or TGS II. I leave the tails very puffy so the shoulders are high, nip them right at the edge of the deck. Sounds to me like your not getting the wicks fully saturated. I know its tight spaces, but I would stick with the 2.5mm coil for nice puffy shoulders don't press into the channels to tight.

16-18 watts @.7 is a little muah, but jacked up to 25 it pretty much slams the flavor, a couple juices I've tried are too much in it. Very dense intense flavored almost to warm for me. Get it wicking well, and run the power up a little, might be pleasantly surprised.

Just sitting here, trying to see where it tops out for wicking, @35 watts, its pretty hot, but still wicking the 90VG chaining it up to 40......

Still keeping up @ 40 watts, flavor is too much, not burning at all, and I've got a Chocolate walnut pastry juice in it. Don't think I can go any higher, flavor is getting too strong.... Try 45 watts.....

Still no low saturation, flavor is really strong, @45 watts I just burned up 3ml of juice in record time. OK, enough, believe I could take it higher yet, but the flavor is just too much up here, back to 25 watts, much easier to handle the flavor. I'm really surprised it was not dry hitting @45 watts.

Dial the wicking in on this thing, results are worth it.

Vapor output @45 watts which is where I normally run my Crius is very close to the Crius, Just recently dropped my nic to 12mg, a few months ago I was dripping 18 yet, tanking 24mg, that was my first nic buzz in a long time.:w00t:

This thing just surprised the crap out of me, no BS, 45watts, flavor was literally off the wall.

Posted live as it happened, LOL! Wicked little tank..

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
Just got my gem clone. Wish it didn't have the logo on the stainless tank...
Quality is actually superb. Came absolutely clean and I've never seen a china clone with such precision machining. The press fit pieces actually press fit! Layers and layers of interlocking threads and no scratching or grating at all on any of the pieces.

510 pin is too short, but I cannibalized one of the gromets from a Kanger protank coil and used it instead of the ceramic insulator and now I have a solid, stable connection. Best flavor tank I own for sure, better than the genuine Aqua v2 and Rose.

But wow, this thing is really overengineered. Sooo many pieces, and if something isn't set perfect it will leak all over you.

Also seems to have issues wicking at 70/30 VG:pG, but I might just need to improve my build. For the moment I'm sticking to 60/40 and it works a charm with 2.5mm twisted 30g kanthal at 1ohm and 18w.

Devlinukr

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2015
Yeah, I kinda figured that after playing around with it. I'm still awaiting o-rings I ordered over a week ago. Who knew first class mail from Idaho to Oregon would take that long? :D But in the meantime, I just backed out the 510 screw a tad and it's working fine. I may eventually grind down a Kayfun grub screw, but that's not an easy job considering how tiny those things are.

I've just tried out a Kayfun v4 510 pin and it fits fine.

Might try TC build #73625 on it tomorrow if the connection problems are fixed.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I put a Ti build on it this morning to give me a saving throw against dry hits... Had it wicked for a bit with KGD, then took that out and put in some Rayon. Just enough to feel the squeak in the coil then I trimmed it all down. There is just a little lightly placed in the channel.

When I juice the wick and coil then put the deck back into the tank, it vapes perfectly till that juice is gone. Then it is the weak vape of not enough juice in the wick problem. It's a 50/50 juice so that shouldn't be the issue, here is the deck so you can tell me if I am doing something wrong... It's the hardest device I have ever built to get a decent vape from and it shouldn't be.
GEM Wick.jpg

Reactions: Bella Chic

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
TrollDragon, do you have your coil down partially in the channel? Like ccwaters picture here:

Gem Clone

I'm currently working on my 10th tank from my first build and haven't had even the hint of a dry hit nor any leaks. I use 65% PG, so that would be even runnier than your 50/50 juice. Also, I just pulled my rayon wick through and trimmed the ends to size, nothing more.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Try trimming some at the top at an angle towards the coil. That seems to work well for me.
Thanks, I tried that after I took the picture, but no joy...

TrollDragon, do you have your coil down partially in the channel? Like ccwaters picture here:

Gem Clone

I'm currently working on my 10th tank from my first build and haven't had even the hint of a dry hit nor any leaks. I use 65% PG, so that would be even runnier than your 50/50 juice. Also, I just pulled my rayon wick through and trimmed the ends to size, nothing more.

Thanks Linda I think you may be onto something!
This is cc's coil placement, raised above the shoulder.
iEtnSLm.jpg

The bottom of my coil is directly in line with that shoulder.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Thanks, I tried that after I took the picture, but no joy...

Thanks Linda I think you may be onto something!
This is cc's coil placement, raised above the shoulder.
iEtnSLm.jpg

The bottom of my coil is directly in line with that shoulder.

It's definitely worth a try, TD! I'm really loving this atty. Well, except for the millions of parts I'll probably forget how they go the next time I take it apart. :D

Reactions: TrollDragon

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Based on being a former Squape owner I would trim flush to the deck edges and get the wick out of the channels. And maybe trim down the shoulder a bit. I've never built a Gem though.
Thanks roxy, that's what I did, wicked it exactly like the SQRs which works perfectly. The Gem does not.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
It's definitely worth a try, TD! I'm really loving this atty. Well, except for the millions of parts I'll probably forget how they go the next time I take it apart. :D
For Sure!
I'm going to build a new Ti coil for it later out of 28g and raise it up. Then I'll just trim the Rayon flush to the edge as well and see how it works out.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Troll, your wick looks to dense to me, hard to say since it is Rayon though, I've not tried Rayon in it yet.

The way I look at this atomizer, as far as wicking, is those channels are like small reservoirs, especially at the end, I kept the coil as high as I figured I safely could without it contacting the top of the chamber. I'm thinking the center of the coil is about in line with those little wick holes.

I start out with about 7mm wide strip of Muji, remove two fairly thick outer strips. pull it through the coil ends up being a little tighter then I would normally do on other tanks. Then I pull it back and forth a bit to loosen it in the coil, and fluff each side on the coil edge. It gets very puffy, and loses a bit of the density doing it this way.

Once in place I trim each end even with the edge of the deck, I also trim it a little bit at the shoulders, makes it more of a ball shape on the ends, I never really press it into the channels at all. I blow on each end before trimming to really puff it out. then I just sort of push it around a bit very lightly to sort of form it without compressing it. I also rake just a little into the lower portion on the channel ends, Juice it up, and done.

In theory the wick barely contact the little riser in the channels, and floats above the sides of those little dams. Might be overthinking that part though:|

I don't take much time doing it, so it is not tedious, and doesn't have to be exact. I could be mistaken on the part in the end of the channels raked down, but since it really wicks nothing like the squape (juice comes in high, instead at bottom) my thought is it forms small pockets at that point.

The build is a little contrary to what others do, so I don't know. However for my preference this atty does not really wake up, and start performing until I hit 25 watts with the .7 build in it. The build pictured is once again doing really well @ 28 watts.

I never really got the SquapeR to perform well, still have it lying around, flavor was just never that great to me, also always had erratic wick behavior for me. Really didn't have high expectations for the gem, but after using it the only real thing in common with the Squape is appearance. Quite different how it wicks.

za2Gt6R.jpg

INl4zTy.jpg

6p0pEtl.jpg

rdByZ3j.jpg

Rcbjteh.jpg

3UzF61V.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread