Status
Not open for further replies.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
A friend gave me his VV Gripper...it's about 4 months +/- old, I think....in perfect condition. Battery door is fine and secure. 510 connection appears solid enough (don't know if it'd take much torquing down with someone being rough, though) Finish is still like new. Wouldn't really know it was "used" if I didn't happen to know the guy who gave it to me! lol! Anyway...I like it. A lot. I've read this thread, and am more than aware of the possible problems with this APV. I'm not that worried. I'm VERY gentle with all my equipment. I have vGos that are well over a year old that still work fine and look good. In the event my American Bulldog's tail sweeps this thing off a table onto the hardwood floor and toasts it, I think I'd still be inclined to want to get another one (especially since the price has gone down). I really like the ohm checker and the battery level checker. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the form factor!!

I'm a little sick of tube mods. I really like the Gripper's shape and size (the 3.7 Gripper too.) I'd like box mods better if they didn't hurt my hand with the corners on them (I like the Gripper's rounded edges), and if the button could be placed up top like the Gripper's. I would like it if the VV Gripper was available in metal (with rubberized coating...or maybe anodized?), and if the battery door was a bit more secure (the connector, too). Other than those two points, the aesthetic design of the thing is excellent, and the performance (so far...after about a week with me and 4 months with my friend) is superb.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
While some are jumping ship for the Groove ...I just wanted to step in a minute and say that the longer I've used my VV Gripper...the more addicted to it I'm becoming. The PCB apparently makes even low voltage PUMP massive vapor. I'm really impressed. So much so, I'm thinking of trying to get another one, maybe in silver. Being a girl, I do like to change up my colors some! haha! Couple of things that are "selling points" for me is 1.) The shape. Rounded. So comfortable to hold. And not another boring tube. 2.) Removable battery...and 18650. Don't need 2 batteries. I like simple. So far I've only found one battery in my arsenal that's too long for the VVG. 3.) The PCB on low voltage is great. I don't do high voltage so won't speak to that. 4.) Button on top. Much more intuitive to use for me. Less stress on my hand.

Did I mention I LOVE how it hits? My delivery system is a 6ml. carto tank with a single coil 2ohm. It's great on all my stuff, but on the VVG...it's awesome!

I figure if I just take a little care with it, it should last and work well a long long time. I treat the battery door gingerly (how much more effort is there to just take a bit of care and gentleness?) and the same goes for the connector. As for the finish..I have a little pouch that came with my humantoolz earbuds. Just the right size. Protects my "baby" from bumps and scrapes when carrying it in my purse or whatever. Plus I can tuck an extra cartomizer in there in case the one I'm using decides to crap out. I can even fit my little 15ml. needle bottle in there (snug, but it fits!)

I might look into the Groove, but honestly...not having the removable battery might be a deal breaker for me. That and the "sharper" looking edges. Not convinced whatever "benefits" it offers is worth the trade off.

Besides...with the Groove coming out, maybe the price will drop some more on the VVG, and I can get another one cheaper soon! That'd be GREAT! :laugh:

Last edited:

jfoster1

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Mississippi
I bought a gripper back in august, it has done a pretty good job. I knew when I unboxed the thing it was made cheap. I bought a 3 year extended warranty, even covers for falls. Think it cost me 15.00 bucks. Well the battery door now does not shut good, the 510 connector is loose. It still vapes, but I think it is on its last leg. Think I am going to send it in and they will either fix it or send me a check. If they send me a check I got to use the thing since august for free. If they fix it I still have 2 and one half years worth of warranty left on it.

Davestator

Dec 18, 2012
Seattle
Last analog on 12/12/12 when i was charging my first Halo and V2 Batteries. Like the 808 sticks for going out with teh pack for breaks and enjoyed the difference in V2 4.2 and the Halo G6 regulated 3.7 vapes.
Got the Gripper yesterday and today I still cannot leave my office as I am dialing in different juices and cart/tank combos with the VV.
Feels great in my hand (either).
Welcome to a new vaping experience...
I like!

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
1.) The shape. Rounded. So comfortable to hold. And not another boring tube.
That just sums it up for me :)

I figure if I just take a little care with it, it should last and work well a long long time. I treat the battery door gingerly (how much more effort is there to just take a bit of care and gentleness?)
I did take great care of it, but it fell, it's an accident and accident do happens, still works tho and I got a backup!

I might look into the Groove, but honestly...not having the removable battery might be a deal breaker for me.
It is a deal breaker for me, haven't been convinced yet.

CrudWalter

Oct 1, 2012
BC, Canada
It's certainly not a deal-breaker for me. A built-in battery solves the flimsy battery cover problem, and I really wouldn't mind giving up the constant battery swapping routine for a simple overnight USB plug-in charge. My real concern is the price of the unit and the build quality. Then, if the battery becomes the limiting factor, 3800mah should only require charging every 2 or 3 days. Even at a reasonable 400 charge cycles, it should easily last a couple of years. Long before that time, something better will surely be available and I will be more than ready for a new toy:)

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I am with you crudwalter. I have a itaste MVP and never hesitated to purchase something with a permanent battery. I would also surmise that the ~400 charge cycles is when you run the unit completely dead and then recharge. I think you can get many more charges out of it if you plug it in nightly regardless of complete drain or not. At least that is what people are speculating over on the MVP thread. I agree that if it lasts me a year, well, it was well worth my money!

akphotos

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Ontario
My beloved Gripper stopped working the other day. So I took it apart and found the problem (I think). Here's a pic:
IMAG1339.jpg

That one black wire is attached at the top but that's it. Any idea where the other end should be attached to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread