Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Another thing we have in common! Softball game, 4th grade, I was the catcher. Ball hit to the 1st baseman who had wicked power in his throws. Moment of distraction because a guy was thundering from 3rd base toward home plate. I turn toward 1st base in time to catch his throw...

...with my nose. :)
I know your pain. When we played in the neighborhood, we had no protective gear at all. I got hit in the nose when a batter tipped the ball, and it hit me square in the tip of my nose. The worst was when I was playing catch with my brother in the front yard. We were throwing pretty hard back and forth, enough to burn your hand. Remember my brother had a great arm, and he could really throw hard. So I am catching for him now, and a car drove by. (he was winding up, not just throwing hard) I had no catcher mask on. (I didn't have one) When the car drove by, out of reflex I looked since cars weren't common in our neighborhood back then. As I looked back towards my brother the ball was already right in front of my nose, or so it seemed. I threw my glove up, the ball tipped the top of my glove, and right to my face. Boom, I got the hard ball pitch right to the nose. A fountain of blood shot up into the air. Of course I ran straight to the side door, with a blood trail following my path. My mother nearly fainted. My brother was scared, and so was I. I thought my nose was broken, but it wasn't. If it was, it was just a crack. I got ice on it, and kept my head back for hours. For a while I had to pinch my nose, while I held my head back. It was painful for a few days. I think now they say not to tilt your head back, but I'm not sure. It was so relieving to have a mom at home, so when you got hurt, she could fix it for you. Those were the days of mercurochrome, and alcohol though. We had the bandaids that stuck, not the "ouchless waterproof" kind they have now. It is a wonder we ever survived back then, but we did. I laugh when I think of it now. So yes LA, we do have a lot in common. I am sure we would've been great friends if we grew up in the same place together. We would've had lots of adventures to talk about.

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I know your pain. When we played in the neighborhood, we had no protective gear at all. I got hit in the nose when a batter tipped the ball, and it hit me square in the tip of my nose. The worst was when I was playing catch with my brother in the front yard. We were throwing pretty hard back and forth, enough to burn your hand. Remember my brother had a great arm, and he could really throw hard. So I am catching for him now, and a car drove by. (he was winding up, not just throwing hard) I had no catcher mask on. (I didn't have one) When the car drove by, out of reflex I looked since cars weren't common in our neighborhood back then. As I looked back towards my brother the ball was already right in front of my nose, or so it seemed. I threw my glove up, the ball tipped the top of my glove, and right to my face. Boom, I got the hard ball pitch right to the nose. A fountain of blood shot up into the air. Of course I ran straight to the side door, with a blood trail following my path. My mother nearly fainted. My brother was scared, and so was I. I thought my nose was broken, but it wasn't. If it was, it was just a crack. I got ice on it, and kept my head back for hours. For a while I had to pinch my nose, while I held my head back. It was painful for a few days. I think now they say not to tilt your head back, but I'm not sure. It was so relieving to have a mom at home, so when you got hurt, she could fix it for you. Those were the days of mercurochrome, and alcohol though. We had the bandaids that stuck, not the "ouchless waterproof" kind they have now. It is a wonder we ever survived back then, but we did. I laugh when I think of it now. So yes LA, we do have a lot in common. I am sure we would've been great friends if we grew up in the same place together. We would've had lots of adventures to talk about.

Ouch!!! It’s good we can laugh now. I used one of those good, sticky bandaids that day — to tape my glasses to my forehead! My poor swollen nose couldn’t handle the weight of the nosepiece! Too painful.

We would have had lots of adventures to talk about! And maybe a few to only talk about in a way that allows plausible deniability. :lol:

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
:angel: Yes, that is true. We not only survived though, we thrived. I wish my kids could've experienced the freedom we had. It will be much less so for my grandsons.

Luckily I didn't wear glasses back then, but it was close to that time that I had to. I hated the glasses back then, and wouldn't wear them that much. Later I quit wearing them altogether for a few years. Then the headaches started, so I forced myself to wear them when needed. Now I wear them all the time. I imagine the weight of those glasses did hurt your nose. Back then they were all made of glass, which is heavier than the polycarbonite I wear now. I think that is what they are called anyway. My brother wore glasses in first grade. Once he was grown he wore contacts. I hate anything in my eyes, so I never got contacts, nor tried them. Then a few years ago, it was suddenly cool to wear glasses. Fads go in and out over time. If you stick with something, eventually it may become popular again.

76bridget

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 6.26.02 PM.png Kid climbed his first 50 ft pole today. He was pumped...I'm like :eek:!!!

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Well, this was at college.. He's doing the lineman program now. :)

Yikes! Seeing that would’ve made my hair fall out, my stomach flip permanently and my fingernails run away on their own knowing they were about to be chewed right off! You’re a better woman than me to endure it. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
:angel: Yes, that is true. We not only survived though, we thrived. I wish my kids could've experienced the freedom we had. It will be much less so for my grandsons.

Luckily I didn't wear glasses back then, but it was close to that time that I had to. I hated the glasses back then, and wouldn't wear them that much. Later I quit wearing them altogether for a few years. Then the headaches started, so I forced myself to wear them when needed. Now I wear them all the time. I imagine the weight of those glasses did hurt your nose. Back then they were all made of glass, which is heavier than the polycarbonite I wear now. I think that is what they are called anyway. My brother wore glasses in first grade. Once he was grown he wore contacts. I hate anything in my eyes, so I never got contacts, nor tried them. Then a few years ago, it was suddenly cool to wear glasses. Fads go in and out over time. If you stick with something, eventually it may become popular again.

You’re right, glasses were a lot heavier back then. They were my first pair — big silver aviator style lenses. I was so excited to get them. The eye doctor was measuring for them and was impressed because the bridge of my nose was perfectly symmetrical. He said he rarely saw that. A few months later it was most definitely not perfect! The ball smash caused a deviated septum that I never bothered having corrected. My nose was fractured two more times after that. Guess it makes a big target! Or I should learn to duck. :lol:

I tried contacts but could never get past feeling like I had horrible grit in my eyes, even later when I tried soft lenses. I prefer glasses. Even though it was darn hard to get used to the polyfocal lenses. The whole world kept slanting sideways whenever I moved my head. Thankfully I don’t need them to read or to work on the computer.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
David, go to Amazon and do a search for “Udder Balm”. Worth researching and used the same way you describe with the socks.
He's on the right track though - filing the callus first will definitely help. Use a heavy duty cream with a lactic or hyaluronic acid (to break down that stuff too).

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
You’re right, glasses were a lot heavier back then. They were my first pair — big silver aviator style lenses. I was so excited to get them. The eye doctor was measuring for them and was impressed because the bridge of my nose was perfectly symmetrical. He said he rarely saw that. A few months later it was most definitely not perfect! The ball smash caused a deviated septum that I never bothered having corrected. My nose was fractured two more times after that. Guess it makes a big target! Or I should learn to duck. :lol:

I tried contacts but could never get past feeling like I had horrible grit in my eyes, even later when I tried soft lenses. I prefer glasses. Even though it was darn hard to get used to the polyfocal lenses. The whole world kept slanting sideways whenever I moved my head. Thankfully I don’t need them to read or to work on the computer.
Wow, you really had it rough then. I was lucky I didn't break mine. I don't think I got a deviated septum either. I drank a lot of milk then, and was young. I think that helped. If I got hit like that now, I doubt if I'd be so lucky again.

I wear progressive lenses. I have been using this type for years. They did take a little bit of time to get used to them.

Users who are viewing this thread