Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I thought it must be because that are really nice. In our part of KY the soil is alkaline and we would never get such color or blooms.
I think you can do it by adding various types of stuff to your watering. I'm sure there are you tube vids. It's basically red clay here. Looks like Mars. Acidic soil. That hydranga was planted next to the foundation when we moved here in 04. I transplanted it right away out back. Had some pretty bad years where I thought it was dead or dying. Kinda hung on. Got no flowers several years. A few pink ones now and again. It has slowly grown and the last 5 years it blooms lots of blue flowers. Don't see many of them. I think they're fickle.

Yes, KY is alkaline. Hence, KY bluegrass. All that limestone. Doesn't even germinate here. They cook before that. Only fescue and warm season grasses make it here.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I used to have hydrangeas like that. Not sure if any are alive now. I think I lost most during a drought. Some of mine turned pink one year. I heard by putting nails in the ground they would turn back blue. My grandma used to have huge hydrangeas, and when I see them it makes me think of her.

We have a lot of red clay and acidic soil here, which is very saturated. Today is supposed to be the last of the rain and bad weather for a few days. So happy about that!! Severe weather and several tornadoes hit East TX earlier today. So yes we do not need any more rain for a little while anyway. I believe California sure needs the rain. A lot of food is grown there. The crops here have been devastated.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
The last few times that I mowed has been sort of interesting/entertaining. We have two martin houses near the water and away from trees. Every year the motels fill up with Martins flying all over with their unique flight pattern and vocalizations. This year as I cut they have been dive bombing all around me and the mower. They come within two feet of me and from the mower, over and over the whole time I am mowing, two to four hours depending on what all I cut.
Today, I realized that as I cut I was disturbing a population of very small bugs - gnat like creatures. These bugs are new to me and I suspect to the Martins because they never exhibited this kind of behavior before. They would never feed extensively over land, always the water or near the banks. Those Martins are feasting on a newly found food source. They make a few passes and head back home, I figure to feed babies. There are so many of them, possibly twenty-five or so out at any given time flying all around me. When I put the mower up, clean it and come out of the storage area, they are back to normal. It is neat to watch, though they have never had any fear of me or the machine, this year they act as if they are companions and we are co-hunters.

End of wild life update from East Barn Swallow, Kentucky.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The last few times that I mowed has been sort of interesting/entertaining. We have two martin houses near the water and away from trees. Every year the motels fill up with Martins flying all over with their unique flight pattern and vocalizations. This year as I cut they have been dive bombing all around me and the mower. They come within two feet of me and from the mower, over and over the whole time I am mowing, two to four hours depending on what all I cut.
Today, I realized that as I cut I was disturbing a population of very small bugs - gnat like creatures. These bugs are new to me and I suspect to the Martins because they never exhibited this kind of behavior before. They would never feed extensively over land, always the water or near the banks. Those Martins are feasting on a newly found food source. They make a few passes and head back home, I figure to feed babies. There are so many of them, possibly twenty-five or so out at any given time flying all around me. When I put the mower up, clean it and come out of the storage area, they are back to normal. It is neat to watch, though they have never had any fear of me or the machine, this year they act as if they are companions and we are co-hunters.

End of wild life update from East Barn Swallow, Kentucky.
th

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I think you can do it by adding various types of stuff to your watering. I'm sure there are you tube vids. It's basically red clay here. Looks like Mars. Acidic soil. That hydranga was planted next to the foundation when we moved here in 04. I transplanted it right away out back. Had some pretty bad years where I thought it was dead or dying. Kinda hung on. Got no flowers several years. A few pink ones now and again. It has slowly grown and the last 5 years it blooms lots of blue flowers. Don't see many of them. I think they're fickle.

Yes, KY is alkaline. Hence, KY bluegrass. All that limestone. Doesn't even germinate here. They cook before that. Only fescue and warm season grasses make it here.
Reminds me of my gran and grandad's garden. When they finally got a council bungalow, they moved out of their 50 year occupied two storey house, which had no inside running water (just a well originally, then replaced with one cold water faucet outside) and an outside toilet. She had a real English country garden, even though there wasn't much room - and amongst all the stunning and beautiful established plants and trees, she had one pink, and one white, European peony bushes. (think: "smells like heaven") When they left I asked the new owner to give me a cutting, and I planted it in Dad's garden. Then I went off on my world travels, and about 7-8 years later, I was talking to Dad, and he said "where'd that peony bush come from?" :D. It seems it lay dormant for years, and then all of a sudden, one full grown peony bush appeared:lol:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Reminds me of my gran and grandad's garden. When they finally got a council bungalow, they moved out of their 50 year occupied two storey house, which had no inside running water (just a well originally, then replaced with one cold water faucet outside) and an outside toilet. She had a real English country garden, even though there wasn't much room - and amongst all the stunning and beautiful established plants and trees, she had one pink, and one white, European peony bushes. (think: "smells like heaven") When they left I asked the new owner to give me a cutting, and I planted it in Dad's garden. Then I went off on my world travels, and about 7-8 years later, I was talking to Dad, and he said "where'd that peony bush come from?" :D. It seems it lay dormant for years, and then all of a sudden, one full grown peony bush appeared:lol:
Heaviest flowers I’ve encountered. Have one here. Just one flower each year.

Users who are viewing this thread