Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Awesome! I’ve saved this info in my notes. Thank you, Chef!
I can give you a general recipe for stout to star off with , take notes on the batches and you can dial in exactly what you want , mashing temperatures also play a part in deciding the balance between alcohol and body , you can literally get precisely what you want in all aspects by brewing all grain .

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Awww, snap! Whiskey gazing longingly at the great outdoors . . . :wub::wub:

What a sweet pic! Seems like a good sign for him to be window gazing. He is still very thin though. Glad he’s got a bit more time indoors before he runs free part time.
He was looking at the squirrels. There is a huge population of oak trees around here hence a huge population of squirrels. They are out there to see 100% of the time. And Mr Whiskers knows it.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I can give you a general recipe for stout to star off with , take notes on the batches and you can dial in exactly what you want , mashing temperatures also play a part in deciding the balance between alcohol and body , you can literally get precisely what you want in all aspects by brewing all grain .

That’s perfect. Yes, please!

Reactions: EleanorR

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Evening.... One more day to go...

20210106_082037.jpg

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I never got to using kegs and CO2. I did the final step by using bottles and yeast. I would have gone to kegs eventually but for the adult on set diabetes. I think the kegs would produce the highest quality brew. It is a costly investment in the craft. I am glad that I didn't get that far into brewing before I had to quit. That being said, while my bottled stuff was not as good as I would have liked it was still a satisfying drink.
It sure beat anything from Bud, Miller and the rest.

Edit: I agree with a fellow former brewer on the stainless steel pot rather than aluminum, corrosion being a big factor. Another factor (for me) is the potential impact of leached aluminum on dementia and the brain. That could be kookyness on my part but with my mind I don't have a whole lot of reserve to take chances.

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Morning/afternoon, friends. TGIF!

No brewing begun just yet. The lemon trees are yielding again. That means juicing them and filling ice cube trays. J’s parents gave us a lemon the size of a large orange. I measured the amount of juice it yielded. It was 3x the amount from a normal lemon!

You have to take your joy where you can find it. ;)

9B47DC2C-D0C5-4170-ABB3-46EC47BD283C.jpeg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Morning/afternoon, friends. TGIF!

No brewing begun just yet. The lemon trees are yielding again. That means juicing them and filling ice cube trays. J’s parents gave us a lemon the size of a large orange. I measured the amount of juice it yielded. It was 3x the amount from a normal lemon!

You have to take your joy where you can find it. ;)

View attachment 925203
Get a Geiger counter and check for radiation.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
That’s perfect. Yes, please!
Ingredients for 5 gallons irish stout
10 lbs english pale malt
8oz black patent malt
8oz dark chocolate malt
6oz crystal malt
2oz kent goldings hops for bittering
1 pack liquid irish ale yeast
17 gallons water
1 bottle dye free iodine for testing
Bring 10 gallons of water to 170f cut the fire add all the grains while stirring , this should put you within mash range temperature wise , shoot for keeping the mash at 152f adding heat as necessary , mash for an hour , take a small sample of mash on a plate add a coupla drops of iodine if the iodine turns black you still have unconverted starch and need to continue mashing . If it doesn't change color raise the temperature to 168f to end the mash . You're gonna need 7 gallons of water at 170f to sparge ie rinse all the good stuff outta the grain . Sparge and start boiling , add the hops , you need to boil for 1 hour or enough to reduce the liquid to 6 gallons . Chill the wort to room temperature , you're gonna see proteins forming that look like ground beef , let them settle and siphon off the top in to a carboy . Shake the crap outta the carboy to aerate the wort . Pitch the yeast in to the wort , put the airlock on and find a cool spot 72f to 75f to put the carboy . After a week of fermenting I like to rack the beer off of the sediment and in to another carboy and continue fermenting for another week . Should be good to go for bottling or kegging then . Almost forgot the most important part , you should be pouring and drinking libations to the brewing gods on mashing day to ensure success !:party:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I never got to using kegs and CO2. I did the final step by using bottles and yeast. I would have gone to kegs eventually but for the adult on set diabetes. I think the kegs would produce the highest quality brew. It is a costly investment in the craft. I am glad that I didn't get that far into brewing before I had to quit. That being said, while my bottled stuff was not as good as I would have liked it was still a satisfying drink.
It sure beat anything from Bud, Miller and the rest.

Edit: I agree with a fellow former brewer on the stainless steel pot rather than aluminum, corrosion being a big factor. Another factor (for me) is the potential impact of leached aluminum on dementia and the brain. That could be kookyness on my part but with my mind I don't have a whole lot of reserve to take chances.
It's the old don't put lemonade in to an aluminum pitcher thing , I don't care to risk it either .

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Ingredients for 5 gallons irish stout
10 lbs english pale malt
8oz black patent malt
8oz dark chocolate malt
6oz crystal malt
2oz kent goldings hops for bittering
1 pack liquid irish ale yeast
17 gallons water
1 bottle dye free iodine for testing
Bring 10 gallons of water to 170f cut the fire add all the grains while stirring , this should put you within mash range temperature wise , shoot for keeping the mash at 152f adding heat as necessary , mash for an hour , take a small sample of mash on a plate add a coupla drops of iodine if the iodine turns black you still have unconverted starch and need to continue mashing . If it doesn't change color raise the temperature to 168f to end the mash . You're gonna need 7 gallons of water at 170f to sparge ie rinse all the good stuff outta the grain . Sparge and start boiling , add the hops , you need to boil for 1 hour or enough to reduce the liquid to 6 gallons . Chill the wort to room temperature , you're gonna see proteins forming that look like ground beef , let them settle and siphon off the top in to a carboy . Shake the crap outta the carboy to aerate the wort . Pitch the yeast in to the wort , put the airlock on and find a cool spot 72f to 75f to put the carboy . After a week of fermenting I like to rack the beer off of the sediment and in to another carboy and continue fermenting for another week . Should be good to go for bottling or kegging then . Almost forgot the most important part , you should be pouring and drinking libations to the brewing gods on mashing day to ensure success !:party:

Fantastic! Thank you very much. This is saved in my notes.

One question: When you say “mash for an hour” is that just maintaining heat and cooking the mash, or is there something else involved?

Reactions: DavidOH

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

One question: When you say “mash for an hour” is that just maintaining heat and cooking the mash, or is there something else involved?

Shoes off, get into the pot, stomp your feet for one uninterrupted hour.
:toast:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana

Maintaining temperature and thoroughly stirring the mash every 10-15 minutes. Note that you can produce an Irish red ale by swapping out the chocolate and black patent malts for 1&1/2 lbs of toasted malt and cutting the hops down to 1&1/2 oz and also adding a coupla tbsp Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil to help clarify it . You can also go to a brown ale by dropping the black patent malt and subbing another half lb of chocolate malt in it's place ,cutting the hops down to 1oz also using Irish moss and subbing London ale yeast in place of the Irish ale yeast . The strain of yeast used also plays a huge role in flavor .

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Maintaining temperature . Note that you can produce an Irish red ale by swapping out the chocolate and black patent malts for 1&1/2 lbs of toasted malt and cutting the hops down to 1&1/2 oz and also adding a coupla tbsp Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil to help clarify it . You can also go to a brown ale by dropping the black patent malt and subbing another half lb of chocolate malt in it's place ,cutting the hops down to 1oz also using Irish moss and subbing London ale yeast in place of the Irish ale yeast . The strain of yeast used also plays a huge role in flavor .
Or you could dig up a couple bushes in your backyard and toss it in the pot and make root beer.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Maintaining temperature and thoroughly stirring the mash every 10-15 minutes. Note that you can produce an Irish red ale by swapping out the chocolate and black patent malts for 1&1/2 lbs of toasted malt and cutting the hops down to 1&1/2 oz and also adding a coupla tbsp Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil to help clarify it . You can also go to a brown ale by dropping the black patent malt and subbing another half lb of chocolate malt in it's place ,cutting the hops down to 1oz also using Irish moss and subbing London ale yeast in place of the Irish ale yeast . The strain of yeast used also plays a huge role in flavor .

Really excellent information. This helps me start to see how the flavors are built. Very much like cooking.

The yeast makes a big difference in sourdough bread too. Since I switched to a freshly milled variety, the bread flavor is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread