High Voltage Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
The taste and temperature... You would be measuring Amps and power not volts...Also I have had these pop like fire crackers and they seem to take around 3 times longer to break in , but once they break in they RCOK, and I have yet to blow one out...I am somewhat of an atomizer terrorist also..

lol! Yeah, last time i used it, it did remind me of a firecracker! 8-o

Sure to wake you up real quick in the morning.. Like forget rice crispies with there snap crackle & pop "in your morning!".. Naw, i'll have a HV 510 atty its like World War III! Ya get the low machine gun from a distance and then that POW.. Then lets not forget the damn fog! Sure to help wake ya up! :D

Oh my god i'm dying over here! Could imagine talking to someone on the phone while vapin with a HV atty!

Rock on Drew! lol

Last edited:

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
hehe, that's not exactly gonna sell them if you put all that in the description on your web page. It's just gonna scare ppl off.8-o

Ok, fair enough. I can understand why you wanted to dumb it down for the non-electrical engineers in your customer base. But it's just such an arbitrary statement. There's no electrical or mathematical backing for it. I mean, you could say that it will handle +2V over a standard atty or that it performs the same as a standard atty a 2 volts lower and either of those statements would be true, but it's just misleading to say it drops volts. I don't know, I'm probably just being .... about it because I'm in the electronics field.

And to be fair, not to take anything away from Nerf (he is definitely one of THE gurus when it comes to PVs), but he didn't come up with the idea. In fact, the 'Chinese manufacturer' that gave him the idea that it could be done blew a pretty big venture for a friend of mine by blabbing about it. So the whole thing is kind of a sore subject for me.

Im not really privvy to the story you speak of and was probably engulfed in my own drama when that one was brewing:rolleyes: But if anyone can come up with a more sensible decription , I will change it tonight...I am NOT a great writer ( as if you didnt notice) and toiled over the description on the site for 30 minutes before coming up with that description...And I still get at least 1 email a day asking what that means???

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I can't imagine all the drama that goes on behind the scenes in this exploding market. (or right out in the open in the case of the drama you're speaking of :rolleyes:)

I don't know if there is any 'simple' description for these high ohm attys. Anything you put is going to generate questions from somebody. I guess the one you are using is probably going to generate less questions than most would.
You could say something like..."made to handle higher voltage without blowing out"...but then you're just going to get a bunch of complaints when ppl blow them by taking 15 second hits at 8.4V. You just can't please everybody.

And I probably didn't even need to bring it up, I was just curious what you meant by it. So I apologize if you end up getting even more email questions as a result of my posts. Who knows, you may even get less emails now that it's been explained to death in here.

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
highping said:
And to be fair, not to take anything away from Nerf (he is definitely one of THE gurus when it comes to PVs), but he didn't come up with the idea. In fact, the 'Chinese manufacturer' that gave him the idea that it could be done blew a pretty big venture for a friend of mine by blabbing about it. So the whole thing is kind of a sore subject for me.

Actually, it wasn't one of my manufacturers that gave me the idea, I posted the story in the original thread; I was chatting with Cisco one night and he brought up the idea of increases resistance atomizers so everyone could stop dicking around with voltage regulation. I asked one of the companies that makes stuff for me and they said they could do it - from there it just snowballed after I posted the initial thread to try to meet MOQs.

As for the simplest description, I'm at a loss with how to explain it in laymans terms, I think the best way to do it would probably be to say that it produces the same power/heat on 2x 3.7v batteries as a standard atomizer does at 5v.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Actually, it wasn't one of my manufacturers that gave me the idea, I posted the story in the original thread; I was chatting with Cisco one night and he brought up the idea of increases resistance atomizers so everyone could stop dicking around with voltage regulation. I asked one of the companies that makes stuff for me and they said they could do it - from there it just snowballed after I posted the initial thread to try to meet MOQs.

As for the simplest description, I'm at a loss with how to explain it in laymans terms, I think the best way to do it would probably be to say that it produces the same power/heat on 2x 3.7v batteries as a standard atomizer does at 5v.

I was just basing my statement on reading your original post in the other thread. It made it sound like the manufacturer gave you the idea not the other way around. And (if it was the manufacturer I have in mind) they should not have shared the development until we were done with our testing. My friend put up a lot of out of pocket costs to have them developed and then they just started selling them. But some of the Chinese suppliers don't really pay attention to verbal agreements and things. It's 'all about the benjamins' (as they say).

Anyway... I think the most accurate way to describe it would be to say why it was created in the first place...
Reduces risk of blowing atomizer at higher voltages, while increasing battery life.

When you describe it using tech terms like 'volts', 'ohms' and 'watts', you just open it up for questions from the non-savvy and scrutiny from the savvy.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Whats the wattage runing at using an HV atty at 5.2 ohms and 2x 3.v batteries around 6 volts on load??

6V across 5.2 ohms gets you 1.54 Amps
1.54 amps at 6V puts it at 6.92 Watts

Note: a standard 510 at 2.5 ohms running standard voltage of 4.2 comes out like this...
4.2V across 2.5ohm = 1.68 Amps
1.68 amps at 4.2V = 7.06 Watts

So, in theory, the HV attys at 6V are going to vape the same as a standard atty at standard voltage. You really aren't going to see any advantage until you go up to 7+ volts. If you just run 6V, you might as well stay standard and get the 2 day batt life (IMO)

Last edited:

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Anyway... I think the most accurate way to describe it would be to say why it was created in the first place...
Reduces risk of blowing atomizer at higher voltages, while increasing battery life.

When you describe it using tech terms like 'volts', 'ohms' and 'watts', you just open it up for questions from the non-savvy and scrutiny from the savvy.

I like that new description best! Though add in there that it should be used with either 2x 3v or 2x 3.7v batteries only.

Its a nice vape at 6-7 watts. Never heard it quoted before but a normal 510 atty at 6v runs at what watts?

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com

Note: a standard 510 at 2.5 ohms running standard voltage of 4.2 comes out like this...
4.2V across 2.5ohm = 1.68 Amps
1.68 amps at 4.2V = 7.06 Watts

So, in theory, the HV attys at 6V are going to vape the same as a standard atty at standard voltage. You really aren't going to see any advantage until you go up to 7+ volts. If you just run 6V, you might as well stay standard and get the 2 day batt life (IMO)

You're partially right there, but your numbers are skewed as you're using peak voltage on one calculation and nominal voltage on another. Using 'average-ish' numbers, 2x 3v batteries will generally even out around 6.5v, and a standard 3.7v battery around 3.85v.

With those numbers we get:
6.5v across 5.2 ohm = 1.25A
1.25A*6.5v = 8.125Watts

3.85v across 2.5ohm = 1.54A
1.54A*3.85v = 5.93Watts

--compared to a 5v 510 usb passthru--
5v across 2.5ohm = 2A
2A*5v = 10Watts

--compared to a 5v 801/901/etc/etc passthru--
5v across 3.4ohm = 1.47A
1.47A*5v = 7.35W

So, theres definitely a difference using a 5.2ohm HV atomizer on 2x 3v batteries over a standard 510 on a standard 3.7v battery, you're looking at a power/heat increase of almost 40%.

The wattage I was shooting for on these was between 8 and 11, as atomizers seem to perform the best without tasting burnt in that range, so I think it was a success :)

Edited to add:

Normal 510 atomizer on 2x 3v batteries:

6.5v across 2.5ohm = 2.6A
2.6A*6.5v = 16.9Watts

Theres a reason normal 510s taste burnt on 6v :)

Last edited:

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I was trying to not get too technical. And I wasn't talking about stock 3.7's. I was talking big boy 3.7's which (IMO) need to take a trip to the charger if they are at 3.8V ;)

I soooo agree with that, but I always get pounced on by the 6V-510 fans when I say it:p

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
You're partially right there, but your numbers are skewed as you're using peak voltage on one calculation and nominal voltage on another. Using 'average-ish' numbers, 2x 3v batteries will generally even out around 6.5v, and a standard 3.7v battery around 3.85v.

With those numbers we get:
6.5v across 5.2 ohm = 1.25A
1.25A*6.5v = 8.125Watts

3.85v across 2.5ohm = 1.54A
1.54A*3.85v = 5.93Watts

--compared to a 5v 510 usb passthru--
5v across 2.5ohm = 2A
2A*5v = 10Watts

--compared to a 5v 801/901/etc/etc passthru--
5v across 3.4ohm = 1.47A
1.47A*5v = 7.35W

So, theres definitely a difference using a 5.2ohm HV atomizer on 2x 3v batteries over a standard 510 on a standard 3.7v battery, you're looking at a power/heat increase of almost 40%.

The wattage I was shooting for on these was between 8 and 11, as atomizers seem to perform the best without tasting burnt in that range, so I think it was a success :)

Edited to add:

Normal 510 atomizer on 2x 3v batteries:

6.5v across 2.5ohm = 2.6A
2.6A*6.5v = 16.9Watts

Damn! Thanks for the huge info.. Clears up alot. Knew it had to be better then a regular 510 at 3.7v as i'm runing a 3.7v protege and my Xhaler w/2 3v batts with the HV 510 atty and forsure theres a serious increase in heat and vapor on the Xhaler setup with the HV atty.

Loving it, loving it! :thumbs: Now to figure out what i'm gona do with my 14 or so new regular 510 attys :( Me needs more HV attys :p

Nerf.. ya gota Write the Bible on this stuff! :)

Up In Vapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Damn! Thanks for the huge info.. Clears up a lot.

I'd also like to thank you all for the discussion. I read through most of the posts on Nerf's thread, but I'll be damned if I could explain it back half as well as it has now been laid out here.

Highping, thanks for taking the time to ask for some clarification...the end result was helpful info for those of us interested in HV atomizers.

I plan on running my HV 510 with a pair of 16340 3.6v batteries to get 10 watts...sounds golden to me.

Thanks also to Nerf for getting this ball rolling and to Drew for making them available at my favorite supplier.

Ed

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Please tell me you guys went to school to learn that stuff, cus I'm feeling pretty stupid right about now. LOL

heh.. i tell ya if it was 10 years ago i'd be all reading everything i could to understand all that like i did 15 years ago with computers. hehe. Making new PV every week. I feel like an old fart at 37. Too be young again...

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Just noticed something wierd about the 510 HV atty. The bridge looks alot fatter then the normal atty and also i dont see a wick? Nothing at all under the bridge that looks like the normal wick in the 510 atty. And the one i have is a hair wider as the carts fit loose on it. Strange as i've heard the exact opposite from another poster that said his carts fit really tight on the HV atty. hehe.

Oh and the color of the gold threads on it are also alot darker looking.. almost orange in color. I guess all that makes it quite easy to tell if its a HV atty or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread