Hitting Rock Bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Trying to equate vaping with other addictions like drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, cigars makes no sense to me. With all the other substance abuse dependencies the typical progression is more, more, more until psychological or physical failure is severe enough to be a catalyst for change. vaping is dramatically different from these other types of addictions in that the typical progression is less, less, less. There are hundreds of threads on this forum alone of people willingly and happily reducing nictotine levels as they progress on their vaping sojourns. I really don't know of anyone that steadily increases their nic content, it's always the other way where they just reach a point they want to decrease nic levels. Yes, I know several that are talked into 6mg nic juice when they first quit smoking, and go up to 12 or 18mg until they are comfortable with quitting cigs, but that is just because they started a bit too low to get the cig monkey off their back. But low and behold several months or a year later they are going from 18 to 12mg with no external pressures to do so, they reduce because they want to. This is very normal in vaping, not unusual. So to me, this is not an addiction in the clinical sense. Might be better to call it healing.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I thought of a slight rock bottom type thing. Choosing to vape nicotine (with flavoring) instead of snacking/eating. Perhaps, it's just me but sometimes nicotine acts as a appetite suppressant, and with multitude of flavor options I could see a vaper possibly depriving themselves of eating in favor of chain vaping.

Considering the incidence of obesity in the US, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing, Jman. :D Seems to me a whole LOT of people would benefit *MASSIVELY* from that regimen!!

When I'm watching TV nowadays, I don't have to sit there stuffing snacks between commercials, just itching to run outside and puff a ..... I managed to gain back the weight I lost when I was ill, but I'm staying pretty comfortably around 135 lbs, which is just about my ideal weight; I have vaping to thank for that, since I vape instead of snack a good bit, particularly late at night watching TV, which I've heard is the worst time of day to consume empty calories since there's no opportunity to burn them off. Now if vaping could also substitute for exercise... ;)

Andria

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I hear you AndriaD, but wasn't spinning it the way you are. Like saying an alcoholic that is lying in the gutter is good for America cause people need their rest! LOL.

I know when I was heavy smoker I'd have no problem skipping meals as my appetite was suppressed. I recall 10 years ago being 25 lbs under weight and feel it is partly attributable to this aspect. I don't think it would be as big of a deal (for me) with vaping, but perhaps it could be in general for a certain type of vaper.

I think a common scenario for vapers, who were smokers, is to get your appetite/taste/smell back and enjoy food again. So, I don't see this being an inherent issue with vaping, but one of those things where chain vaping and possible addiction (to flavors and nicotine) could lead to a certain type of vaper who goes days (or weeks) with only 1 meal a day and relies on vaping the rest of their time.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I hear you AndriaD, but wasn't spinning it the way you are. Like saying an alcoholic that is lying in the gutter is good for America cause people need their rest! LOL.

I know when I was heavy smoker I'd have no problem skipping meals as my appetite was suppressed. I recall 10 years ago being 25 lbs under weight and feel it is partly attributable to this aspect. I don't think it would be as big of a deal (for me) with vaping, but perhaps it could be in general for a certain type of vaper.

I think a common scenario for vapers, who were smokers, is to get your appetite/taste/smell back and enjoy food again. So, I don't see this being an inherent issue with vaping, but one of those things where chain vaping and possible addiction (to flavors and nicotine) could lead to a certain type of vaper who goes days (or weeks) with only 1 meal a day and relies on vaping the rest of their time.

Yeah I guess it could correlate pretty easily with those who drink a lot of coffee, rather than eating. Similar type of drug, after all, and gone amok with flavors the way that coffee has been in recent years. The real die-hard coffee drinkers probably don't go for all the flavor varieties, though, preferring their "black" brew to the flavors that they see as the "sodapop" of coffee.

I confess I thought much the same about all the sweet vapes, when I first started; for me, vaping started and ended with a certain flavor of Virginia tobacco; it's only after vaping that pretty much exclusively for maybe 3 months that I began to have any interest in sweet flavors, and it took finding Hard Rock Vapor's Blueberry Muffin to really make a believer of me, about vaping sweet flavors.

I guess I just don't see vaping as being something that would lead to this type of die-hard-addict behavior; nicotine alone really isn't addictive, just "dependence producing," very much like coffee or other caffeinated drinks. Could someone vaping pure WTA become this kind of addict? Well, maybe. I know that before I started taking my smoking outdoors, I had become a 3+ pk a day smoker; always had one in my hand or in the ashtray, and very commonly used the fire off my old one to light the new one. And given a choice between buying food (for myself) or cigarettes, cigarettes would win everytime, hands down.

But vaping is just so different. When I was in the e-room, it took me 4 hrs of confinement before I even *started* to feel that I needed a vape, but I clearly recall finding it difficult to get thru a no-commercials 1 hr episode of True Blood, one of my favorite shows, without having to run outdoors and miss a few mins, just to get a quick smoke in. It's a completely different experience, and apparently, FAR less addictive than smoking.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread