I Quit Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
I must say I don't share your views on nicotine. I don't believe it's all that addictive, and certainly not as harmful as you suggest.

How harmful is nicotine, I don't think "we" know (we as in humanity) re: balances of the pro's and con's for the entire duration of use/life. I suspect it's pro for some genetically disposed folks and con for others.

On addiction, people are genetically different and have different susceptibilities to addiction.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I suspect the OP, or someone else, could make the same claim but substitute coffee or Coca Cola or Mountain Dew. Some folks go bonkers if they don't have their caffeine. Does that mean caffeine is addictive? I don't know but it can be a habit that's hard to break.

That said, I congratulate him for achieving a goal that he set for himself.

I also have a family history of Alzheimer's and hope nicotine slows down the progression. I don't care if it's a dependency because it's not ruining my life like some other ones can.

susieqz

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2018
high plains
i can't help but wonder if there isn't an easier way to quit nic.
at some point, i'll try vaping zero nic.
my addiction is more than nic.
i understand i'm getting the exact same nic as i did with gum or patches, but they didn't work.
the mechanical action of inhaling something seems part of my addiction.
so, perhaps just breaking part of the addiction is easiest.

ohm, i wish you the best of luck in staying quit.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Nicotine is about as addictive as caffeine, both of which I see no issue in consuming, in moderation.

There’s no difference in the end result of vaping salts vs freebase. I do both, at various levels, and have not become more dependent, depressed, anxious, or otherwise unhealthy.

You make a blanket statement, and one size, when it comes to smoking cessation, does not ever fit all.

The vast majority of ex-smokers here are not 20-something’s who’ve puffed 2-3 lights for 18 months, then go nuts with a Juul until they really rack up an addiction. Sure that happens. But for most, we could hardly get more nic regardless of vape or juice than we used to consume via Camel Wides.

Sorry if I sound like a cranky old lady, but you sound like an arrogant and know-it-all kid. Nobody should use Juul why? Because you couldn’t handle it?

Please.

And get off my lawn.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Nicotine is about as addictive as caffeine, both of which I see no issue in consuming, in moderation.

There’s no difference in the end result of vaping salts vs freebase. I do both, at various levels, and have not become more dependent, depressed, anxious, or otherwise unhealthy.

You make a blanket statement, and one size, when it comes to smoking cessation, does not ever fit all.

The vast majority of ex-smokers here are not 20-something’s who’ve puffed 2-3 lights for 18 months, then go nuts with a Juul until they really rack up an addiction. Sure that happens. But for most, we could hardly get more nic regardless of vape or juice than we used to consume via Camel Wides.

Sorry if I sound like a cranky old lady, but you sound like an arrogant and know-it-all kid. Nobody should use Juul why? Because you couldn’t handle it?

Please.

And get off my lawn.
    Hey! Get off my lawn is reserved for us men folks. You ladies are to say stay off my flowerbeds. :)

gerrymi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    I'm considering getting them a Justfog Minifit and 30ml of I Love Salts Classic Tobacco @ 50mg strength. Do you think this is too much nicotine if their intention is not to quit smoking, but to move to a cheaper and healthier alternative?

Mark...my Justfog Minifits are my Out & About Pods...

After smoking for 50+ years...then loving vaping for 5+ years...I'm QUITE satisfied with regular nicotine ejuice 6mg. in them...(NOT nicotine salts)…

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    nicotine can be helpful at keeping Alzheimer's at bay

with the research showing how it can help prevent Alzheimer's and Parkinson's

I also have a family history of Alzheimer's and hope nicotine slows down the progression.

Being 70+ and having a family history of Alzheimer's...and since nicotine is the only substance found (so far) to actually prevent/delay the onset of Alzheimer's/senile dementia...I, personally, never consider lowering my nicotine...:thumbs:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    I don't think targeting nic salt as a thing to avoid makes much sense really. I would prefer to see the OP state what nic level he thinks should be avoided since it really would make no difference if it was NS or FB I don't think. Nic is nic as far as I'm concerned, and I use both depending on the device and what mixes I've made.

Maybe state the opinion that anything over 18mg, or 24mg, or 35mg is the threshold to be concerned about. Although, I don't see reasonable levels up to 50mg as being an issue personally, I can appreciate different people have different ideas about that. But to single out NS in a blanket statement as the problem just doesn't make sense to me.

I vape NS in most of my juices now at 6mg/ml and it vapes just like I used FB, except I don't get any throat hit. I don't like throat hit, so I find NS preferable for me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I quit smoking once cold turkey for two years. I never really kicked the desire for a cigarette, but stayed away somehow. After going through a trying time in my life I bought a pack of cigs, brought them home and threw them on the table. They stayed there for a couple of days before I lit one up. I was a smoker again in no time.

Vaping took the cigs away years later. I enjoy the low level nic and haven't touched a cig since early 2010. I suppose that even at my low 3mg nic level I'd miss it if I had to quit. I have no plans for quitting vaping. I view vaping as the safest way to get off the cigs for good. Even my doctor agrees.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Wait, I'm confused. According to your other posts you vaped using a dripper on an unregulated box mod at 6mg and were looking for salts at 5mg to 6mg strength and was given sources for it. So when did you use a JUUL and why would you switch to one from a dripper and mech mod? Also based on these other threads, you know that all Salts liquids are not at "JUUL strength", they do come much much lower, but now you are saying they are and that all should be avoided. I guess I am just not following the story gaps and logic leaps.

Anyway, congrats on quitting completely. I am sure it must be a relief to be done with that chapter of addiction in your life. As for me, I plan on consuming nicotine in some form until I die. I mean with the research showing how it can help prevent Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, why not take a little preventative "medicine". If I am going to live longer by not smoking, I'd like to keep my mind during that extended life.

Sheeesh, research shows just how special I am then. I smoked 2 packs of Newports a day for 27 years worried sick about Lung Cancer, and was only able to quit because of vaping. Thought I was getting healthy(ier), only to be diagnosed with Alzheimers. I know my instance means nothing in regards to what research shows. I am just venting how it sucks.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Sheeesh, research shows just how special I am then. I smoked 2 packs of Newports a day for 27 years worried sick about Lung Cancer, and was only able to quit because of vaping. Thought I was getting healthy(ier), only to be diagnosed with Alzheimers. I know my instance means nothing in regards to what research shows. I am just venting how it sucks.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately while it can help prevent and also help slow progression, it is not a 100% guarantee. Every little bit helps though. Just think maybe had you not smoked and vaped symptoms could have started sooner.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    A few weeks, or a few decades, nicotine is very addictive and you should stop immediately regardless of dosage or how long you been consuming.

See...the above is a perfect example of how someone posting to a forum of adults (many of whom are likely old enough to be your parent or grandparent)...comes off as being "preachy", "pushy", and "know-it-all". We're all well past the age of being told what we should and shouldn't do, especially by someone with as little experience with nicotine as you have. Also, I doubt you've conducted any lengthy, scientific, personal research studies that have resulted in concrete data to support your statement.

IMO, that statement (and others like it), would most likely have been better received if it were worded as an expression of your own opinion on nicotine use in general. IE - "IMO, it doesn't matter how long someone has used nicotine. I believe it's very addictive and shouldn't be used, no matter how much is being used, nor for how long."

That's
    expressing an opinion only, and isn't telling others what they should do! People may disagree with your opinion, but they can't argue that it's wrong, nor find fault with it.

Once you start releasing dopamine after dopamine consistently all the time, you will need nicotine all the time, and for the "decade" smokers, you don't even feel buzzed anymore, you take nicotine just to feel normal.

Again, you can speak for yourself and your own experience with nicotine, but you certainly cannot predict the future for others.

As far as your "decade" smokers comment...that's the biggest load I've seen since I cleaned my horse's stall yesterday! YOU can't possibly know what a "decade" smoker feels or doesn't feel...regarding our nicotine use.

ETA: Forgot this - I don't know about others who were "decades" smokers, but I never "felt buzzed", nor wanted to, when I was smoking. So I can't be missing it now as a vaper instead, using nic in my eliquids.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Currently, I'm 56 days off of nicotine and vaping. Just a little back story about me, I use to be a cigarette smoker for a few years, and then I found vaping about 3 years ago. I quit vaping and nicotine on February 17th, 2019 and haven't consumed any nicotine since.

The first few days was the hardest obviously because of nicotine withdrawals. I was feeling very irritated, almost to the point where I was going insane. Nicotine addiction is really no joke at all, regardless of the method consuming it. Nicotine literally took over my life, making me have mood swings if I didn't have it, costing me money which I could be saving for the future and investing, and just made me an overall tired and stressed individual which is why I went ahead a bit the bullet and wanted to change. However, I came to a discovery which I would like to share with you.

If your goal is to eventually quit vaping and quit nicotine altogether at some point in your life, then let me give you a quick tip. DON'T PICK UP A JUUL AND STAY AWAY FROM NICOTINE SALTS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. This is literally so important if your goal is to eventually get off of nicotine at some point. During my vaping era, I found that nicotine salts, Juuls, etc were the worst products to consume if you're looking to eventually quit nicotine because of how much the dosage these products have per hit/serving. Once you start consuming these high nicotine salt products, you will adapt and build such a strong and strict tolerance for it, and you will eventually want more and more and up your dosage consumptions. Oh, and I can confirm this because I went through this entire process, however, everyone's body is different so I can't really speak for everyone's situation.

Also, I found that quitting vaping was MUCH easier than quitting smoking cigarettes, for obvious reasons. Cigarettes not only have nicotine but other addictive chemicals. On the other hand, vaping doesn't have all the nasty chemicals, so it was much easier to quit vaping than cigarettes (IT'S STILL VERY HARD TO QUIT NICOTINE, SO QUITTING VAPING WITH NICOTINE CONTENT ISN'T EASY, IT'S JUST EASIER THAN CIGARETTES TO MY EXPERIENCE.)

If you are smoking cigarettes and you tried quitting cold turkey GOOD LUCK AND PROPS TO YOU IF YOU SUCCEEDED. The success rate of people quitting cigarettes cold turkey is very low. However, on the other hand, people that have quit vaping cold turkey have a higher success rate than those who tried quitting cigarettes by itself. So, my advice to those who still smoke cigarettes, first work on switching to vaping, then quit vaping cold turkey. This is a much easier route and it's the right way in my opinion. The right way of quitting is cold turkey. I don't care what anyone says, and I don't care about those fake gimmick products that are a bunch of lies and garbage. The only true way to quit is to quit. Quitting cold turkey is the right way, cut all nicotine consumptions COMPLETELY. This thread isn't about bashing on vaping, it's about bashing on nicotine, and it's about your long term health physically, and mentally.

As far as my progress, I'm feeling very well and more energized. I don't feel depressed about nicotine anymore, I don't have any more mood swings. However, I do miss vaping just because of the memories and good times I had doing it, but at the end of the day, I am no longer addicted to nicotine, it's just something that was apart of me but not anymore if that makes sense. It feels good to be nicotine free, and that's before getting into all the money I was able to save ;)

Hope you enjoyed the read and if you want any advice on quitting, just shoot me a message and we can talk about it. Quitting nicotine is hard, but it's very possible. The only one that can do it is YOU. No one else is going to do it for you, and no product is going to save you. The decision is all in your hands. Good luck :)

You know you can vape 0 nicotine ejuice right?

Most people slowly decrease the amount of nicotine they use, and those who have been vaping for longer periods of time usually have a very low nicotine intake.

I haven't used nicotine since February 2018 .

I'm glad you quit vaping, nothing is always better..

I smoked for 32 years, and developed a hand to mouth habit you never did.

Good luck to you.. I'll let everyone else debate.

Last edited:

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    A few weeks, or a few decades, nicotine is very addictive and you should stop immediately regardless of dosage or how long you been consuming. Dopamine is a major transmitter in the extrapyramidal system of the brain, and important in regulating movement. Once you start releasing dopamine after dopamine consistently all the time, you will need nicotine all the time, and for the "decade" smokers, you don't even feel buzzed anymore, you take nicotine just to feel normal. I would never recommend someone to keep on using nicotine, but if that's the lifestyle you want and money isn't an issue for you, by all means to each their own!

Are you in recovery?

Reactions: Eskie

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Interesting, you posted this in your other thread:

"Please don't lecture me about nicotine use, we all have different preferences when it comes to what we want out of vaping, but I appreciate your concern."

Nicotine Salt Usage Questions

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread