The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I Quit Vaping

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Ohm My God, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Congrats on reaching your goal.

For your comments on 'other things' o_O cool story bro, seems legit,,,

:tumble:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Kennneth

Kennneth Senior Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Dallas
    How harmful is nicotine, I don't think "we" know (we as in humanity) re: balances of the pro's and con's for the entire duration of use/life. I suspect it's pro for some genetically disposed folks and con for others.

On addiction, people are genetically different and have different susceptibilities to addiction.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm an advocate for that, also. But discussing it here on this forum is forbidden.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. gandymarsh

gandymarsh Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2014
    WI, USA
    I suspect the OP, or someone else, could make the same claim but substitute coffee or Coca Cola or Mountain Dew. Some folks go bonkers if they don't have their caffeine. Does that mean caffeine is addictive? I don't know but it can be a habit that's hard to break.

That said, I congratulate him for achieving a goal that he set for himself.

I also have a family history of Alzheimer's and hope nicotine slows down the progression. I don't care if it's a dependency because it's not ruining my life like some other ones can.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  5. susieqz

susieqz Senior Member

Dec 11, 2018
    high plains
    i can't help but wonder if there isn't an easier way to quit nic.
    at some point, i'll try vaping zero nic.
    my addiction is more than nic.
    i understand i'm getting the exact same nic as i did with gum or patches, but they didn't work.
    the mechanical action of inhaling something seems part of my addiction.
    so, perhaps just breaking part of the addiction is easiest.

ohm, i wish you the best of luck in staying quit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Nicotine is about as addictive as caffeine, both of which I see no issue in consuming, in moderation.

There’s no difference in the end result of vaping salts vs freebase. I do both, at various levels, and have not become more dependent, depressed, anxious, or otherwise unhealthy.

You make a blanket statement, and one size, when it comes to smoking cessation, does not ever fit all.

The vast majority of ex-smokers here are not 20-something’s who’ve puffed 2-3 lights for 18 months, then go nuts with a Juul until they really rack up an addiction. Sure that happens. But for most, we could hardly get more nic regardless of vape or juice than we used to consume via Camel Wides.

Sorry if I sound like a cranky old lady, but you sound like an arrogant and know-it-all kid. Nobody should use Juul why? Because you couldn’t handle it?

Please.

And get off my lawn.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 7
    • Agree x 6
    • Funny x 4
    • Love x 4
  7. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hey! Get off my lawn is reserved for us men folks. You ladies are to say stay off my flowerbeds. :)

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gerrymi

gerrymi Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    Mark...my Justfog Minifits are my Out & About Pods...

After smoking for 50+ years...then loving vaping for 5+ years...I'm QUITE satisfied with regular nicotine ejuice 6mg. in them...(NOT nicotine salts)…

• Like Like x 5
  9. gerrymi

gerrymi Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    Being 70+ and having a family history of Alzheimer's...and since nicotine is the only substance found (so far) to actually prevent/delay the onset of Alzheimer's/senile dementia...I, personally, never consider lowering my nicotine...:thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  10. Jazzman

Jazzman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    I don't think targeting nic salt as a thing to avoid makes much sense really. I would prefer to see the OP state what nic level he thinks should be avoided since it really would make no difference if it was NS or FB I don't think. Nic is nic as far as I'm concerned, and I use both depending on the device and what mixes I've made.

Maybe state the opinion that anything over 18mg, or 24mg, or 35mg is the threshold to be concerned about. Although, I don't see reasonable levels up to 50mg as being an issue personally, I can appreciate different people have different ideas about that. But to single out NS in a blanket statement as the problem just doesn't make sense to me.

I vape NS in most of my juices now at 6mg/ml and it vapes just like I used FB, except I don't get any throat hit. I don't like throat hit, so I find NS preferable for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I quit smoking once cold turkey for two years. I never really kicked the desire for a cigarette, but stayed away somehow. After going through a trying time in my life I bought a pack of cigs, brought them home and threw them on the table. They stayed there for a couple of days before I lit one up. I was a smoker again in no time.

Vaping took the cigs away years later. I enjoy the low level nic and haven't touched a cig since early 2010. I suppose that even at my low 3mg nic level I'd miss it if I had to quit. I have no plans for quitting vaping. I view vaping as the safest way to get off the cigs for good. Even my doctor agrees.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Skeebo

Skeebo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sheeesh, research shows just how special I am then. I smoked 2 packs of Newports a day for 27 years worried sick about Lung Cancer, and was only able to quit because of vaping. Thought I was getting healthy(ier), only to be diagnosed with Alzheimers. I know my instance means nothing in regards to what research shows. I am just venting how it sucks.

• Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    @Ohm My God
    Congratulations

Please be careful when getting off the high horse.

• Like x 8
    • Winner x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. Lordron's_Drag

Lordron's_Drag Super Member

Mar 7, 2019
    Karnes city, Texas
    hell no I just make sure no to leave my vape laying aroubd

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately while it can help prevent and also help slow progression, it is not a 100% guarantee. Every little bit helps though. Just think maybe had you not smoked and vaped symptoms could have started sooner.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    See...the above is a perfect example of how someone posting to a forum of adults (many of whom are likely old enough to be your parent or grandparent)...comes off as being "preachy", "pushy", and "know-it-all". We're all well past the age of being told what we should and shouldn't do, especially by someone with as little experience with nicotine as you have. Also, I doubt you've conducted any lengthy, scientific, personal research studies that have resulted in concrete data to support your statement.

IMO, that statement (and others like it), would most likely have been better received if it were worded as an expression of your own opinion on nicotine use in general. IE - "IMO, it doesn't matter how long someone has used nicotine. I believe it's very addictive and shouldn't be used, no matter how much is being used, nor for how long."

That's
    expressing an opinion only, and isn't telling others what they should do! People may disagree with your opinion, but they can't argue that it's wrong, nor find fault with it.

Again, you can speak for yourself and your own experience with nicotine, but you certainly cannot predict the future for others.

As far as your "decade" smokers comment...that's the biggest load I've seen since I cleaned my horse's stall yesterday! YOU can't possibly know what a "decade" smoker feels or doesn't feel...regarding our nicotine use.

ETA: Forgot this - I don't know about others who were "decades" smokers, but I never "felt buzzed", nor wanted to, when I was smoking. So I can't be missing it now as a vaper instead, using nic in my eliquids.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    You know you can vape 0 nicotine ejuice right?

Most people slowly decrease the amount of nicotine they use, and those who have been vaping for longer periods of time usually have a very low nicotine intake.

I haven't used nicotine since February 2018 .

I'm glad you quit vaping, nothing is always better..

I smoked for 32 years, and developed a hand to mouth habit you never did.

Good luck to you.. I'll let everyone else debate.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  18. brad-man

brad-man Senior Member

Mar 22, 2019
    So Florida
    Avatar is a little preachy too...

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Skeebo

Skeebo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Are you in recovery?

• Like Like x 1
  20. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    Interesting, you posted this in your other thread:

"Please don't lecture me about nicotine use, we all have different preferences when it comes to what we want out of vaping, but I appreciate your concern."

Nicotine Salt Usage Questions

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.