Johnson Creek Juice Turning Green!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbenezerScrews

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2008
NW New Jersey
Weird, coincidence? Today I needed to replace an old cart. I have been real busy lately, and had a bunch of old, "wet", carts mixed in with new, dry carts. I pulled out what I thought was a new one, popped off the cap, and realized it was a used one. There was a little green flake on it. It was similar in color to these photos, but was a fairly solid flake. Maybe 2mm? small and thin. translucent. I picked it off and flicked it out the window, didn't really think much of it until now. Wow, haha...i just went thru a bunch of old carts I have and don't see anything green...

Eb

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Hey TropicalBob. If you would like to pm your address I will be more than happy to mail you my bottle of green wild cherry. You can then test it out and let us know how it tasted. :)

D

:lol: lol, I wouldn't touch that stuff with a barge pole, good luck to the guinea pig who tries it.

Cal said it was the non pg that was affected if I remember correctly so there is no pg to kill germs.

As has been mentioned this doesn't seem to be a problem with any other brand of eliquid. Maybe preservatives are necessary or maybe it only happens with glycerine :confused:

JC claim to not use 'chemicals' I think; they're the only ones who make that claim and they are the ones to have been plagued with gloop, gunk and discolouring problems. It might be safer to stick with the 'chemicals' if they stop other ingredients having undesirable chemical reactions.

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Kate, I mistyped there.. I am almost positive that one of the bottles that turned was PG.. I marked the bottles of PG so I could tell them apart as I had both versions of all 10 flavors. I did have one bottle of PG Vanilla Ice Cream left over that was not affected.. The one that was PG and turned on me was Original Tobacco..
I sent a follow up to Christian directing him to this thread so he could see the pictures.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Whoever posted that a PG liquid is not likely to "go bad" is correct. The stuff should sit for a year or more without problems. And bad stuff won't grow in a virus-bacteria-fungi killing environment that PG liquid represents. There's also alcohol and nicotine in there, both of which sterilize and kill things. But additives might cause discoloration or taste shifts. When I said I'd try it, I meant I have NO FEAR of it.

The one with particulate buildup -- sludge -- is another story. That's not good at all. Very concerning. What is that stuff? That needs lab analysis.

Last edited:

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
On one hand, I'm kind of with TB with the "try it and see" approach, especially since I've been working through a JC sampler with no apparent ill effects for 3 months and have yet to see the color due to the dark bottles. However, I do think the flavoring agent (and I VERY strongly suspect (Christian where are you?) it's an organic flavoring agent) or whatnot needs to be identified and investigated. Spoilage is acceptable if we know in advance that it's going to spoil and can act accordingly. I would rather vape a pershable, natural product than an industrial byproduct... even if I know I have to handle it gently.

Another stupid parallel for anyone who panics easily. Avocados turn black within minutes after cutting without being "treated" with citric acid (lemon), but are still perfectly edible for days. Black guacamole? Gross! But it's not gonna kill you.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Hey Frankie, to tell you the truth I am not sure.. I know it was kept in the same temperature controlled environment, I know it was opened for awhile. It did have the most in the bottle than any other bottle I had left with the exception of the Original Tobacco that went south on me... It was just that with the sampler, it just happened to be at the end of the line. When I first got them, I tried every flavor for a few carts, so it was used within days of getting it. I just used all the other ones more often.
You may have a very valid point though. Because this was opened, it was not opened as often as the others. At the same time however, the bottle of Original Tobacco that I have that is green, had roughly the same amount as the Vanilla and was probably used the same amount.. (Only a few carts worth.)

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Okay.. I think we really are dealing with an oxidation problem. I really hate the Hickory flavor. I know that I did not use either bottle of hickory for more than one cart worth. I went and checked a bag that I had in my closet and low and behold I found the 2 bottles of Hickory. One PG, the other VG.. Neither had turned green..

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
TB, AFAIK China is not involved in this issue with JC. It is my understanding, beyond the "Made in USA" claims, that Christian is mixing and blending his own juice. Like I've said, good or bad. But it seems like it should be easier to get an explanation of what MIGHT be causing it from him than it would be from an industrial firm in China. The fact that we're not seeing similar complaints from other suppliers narrows the field to what is unique to JC.

bluewolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Michigan
Try it and see??? Did you see the pic I posted with the BLACK sludge? Not on your (or my) life am I gonna use this stuff...... I have 3 bottles of PG and 3 bottles of NON PG turned green.
I may have accidentally used some without realizing it was going "hulk" on me, also I've had a stuffed up nose for 4 weeks now?????? coincidence?
I have some cola, coffee, riskee, and kick juice I'll use while waiting out the rest of my bottles of JC
to see if they turn too. Going to have to disinfect all my atomizers also.
BTW I was storing mine on my desk exposed to fluorescent light for at least 8 hours a day. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread