Johnson Creek Juice Turning Green!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Michigan
I bought the 1st sampler on Nov. 18th the second on Nov 28th.
I've sent two messages so far without hearing back.

This is from their website:
At Johnson Creek, we make three very important promises to you:

First, we make our Johnson Creek Original Smoke juice by hand one master batch at a time (60-64 FL OZ) and no batch, regardless of flavor, is kept for more than 48 hours. Ever. Further, we don't use chemicals you can’t pronounce just to artificially bolster our recipes that we should otherwise be able to make with completely safe ingredients. When you receive your delivery, you can be assured that the product is extremely fresh and of the highest quality. We’re kind of fanatical about that and after all, we’re making it for ourselves too!

Second, though many websites claim to exercise great customer service (and often do until they become successful) or see it as primarily a catchphrase, Johnson Creek will strive to make customer service a very real and organic part of our DNA. It will be this commitment that will dictate our every action.

Third, we enthusiastically back all of the products we sell. If you don't like our Smoke juice or any other product you’ve purchased from us, simply return the unused portion in its original bottle/packaging for a full refund (including S&H - here, a full refund means a full refund) within 60 days of the date of purchase.

These three promises we make to you! We welcome your feedback, complimentary or otherwise. At Johnson Creek Original Smoke juice, our customers are our priority, and extraordinary and memorable customer service is our passion!

Christian Berkey, President & Founder of Johnson Creek Original Smoke Juice
Heidi Braun, Vice President of Operations for Johnson Creek Original Smoke Juice

Last edited:

No burn baby

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England, UK
I know what you mean. I was rather hesitant to look too. But as soon as I saw my sampler had turned I quickly shoved my new bottles into the fridge just incase. I can't have my precious Tennesse Cured going hulk...

Foxy

Hate to tell you this Foxy but mine went in the fridge the day I got them and there they stayed. Still went green! :(

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Temperature (and a liquid's PH) are variables when chemicals interact or initiate oxidation. We're dealing with a high PH liquid that possibly has undergone a chemical interaction and oxidation process. Cold contributes in speeding up the process.

Will someone put a "green" vial in a pot of warm water and let the liquid warm up a bit. The refrigerated cold could have contributed to the color change. Warming might not work, but if it does, we're another step closer to understanding what happened.

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
JUST GOT A RESPONSE!

We have also heard from one other customer about this so we've checked with our lab (who analyzes all of our formulas).
The good news is that they're almost 100% sure that what is

happening is that in transit, the liquid is
freezing. Then as it nearsit's destination (or once it's actually in
the destination post office) itthen thaws. This could happen even if
you live in a warm-climate area toobecause packages are often routed
through cold-climate states. Anyway,they're telling us that this
freezing/thawing cycle could cause thediscoloration/clumping.
Although the good news is that it's not hazardous,it's still not
something that you'd want to use. Once we get finalconfirmation on
whether this is the cause (we'll be testing it today) wewill be
re-vamping our packaging. At any rate Jason, I apologize forthe inconvenience and naturally we'll be replacing your order

bluewolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Michigan
JUST GOT A RESPONSE!

We have also heard from one other customer about this so we've checked with our lab (who analyzes all of our formulas).
The good news is that they're almost 100% sure that what is

happening is that in transit, the liquid is
freezing. Then as it nearsit's destination (or once it's actually in
the destination post office) itthen thaws. This could happen even if
through cold-climate states. Anyway,they're telling us that this
freezing/thawing cycle could cause thediscoloration/clumping.
Although the good news is that it's not hazardous,it's still not
something that you'd want to use. Once we get finalconfirmation on
whether this is the cause (we'll be testing it today) wewill be
re-vamping our packaging. At any rate Jason, I apologize forthe inconvenience and naturally we'll be replacing your order
Just got the same email. I plan on sending mine back.
Does this mean it's NOT OK to store it in the fridge?
If they saw the pic of the black sludge they wouldn't be saying it's OK to use.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Does anyone here understand the chemistry of oxidisation?

If one or more of the chemicals in the eliquid are oxidising could this produce toxins?

When potatoes go green they are considered carcinogenic apparently, could this be the same kind of process?

Potatoes going green isn't a result of oxidation, it's a result of the tuber becoming the plant in response to light. Potato is a nightshade, nightshades contain poisons. Different points of ripeness and different parts of the plants have those poisons at different levels.
Although I wouldn't worry about "carcinogenic", beer is carcinogenic as is naturally flavored rootbeer.

Oxidation is akin burning. Oxidation doesn't necessarily change the flavor or composition of vegetable matter.

Could oxidation produce toxins? I don't see why that would totally be out of the question, isn't heating this stuff a reason we would like reports on what the vapor contains and not just the juice?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
What is likely happening is that chlorine, from drinking water, is interacting with heavy metals in the liquid solution and the process that might take a year to observe is showing up sooner because of the extreme temperature variations the solution is exposed to.

Draw your own conclusions on refrigeration. I've kept all mine at room temperature for a year now.

If JC uses distilled water exclusively, I'm back to square one on this.

bluewolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Michigan
When I asked about returning without the included shipping label they replied.

Kevin,
We actually don't inlcude pouches but rather we pay for the return postage along with your refund. So just go ahead and return them to:

Johnson Creek Enterprises, LLC
101 Mark Dr.
Johnson Creek, WI 53038

upon receipt, we will issue a full refund (including the amount spent to ship them back to us. Again we apologize for the inconvenience

Kind Regards,
Christian Berkey
Johnson Creek Smoke Juice
Johnson Creek Original Smoke Juice - The Best E-Liquid in the World - Made Right Here in America

RainbowznStarz

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2008
Fairfax, Va
This could happen even if
through cold-climate states.

Then wouldn't it happen to any liquid from any supplier? considering they all have to route through "cold-climate states"? :confused:

I think as someone else mentioned it's the actual sample bottles being used. This whole thing is intriguing. Anyone else watching their other bottles regardless of who they're from...just in case? lol

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I think people need to simply sit back and wait for Christian to investigate the matter with his lab to respond, which I imagine won't be until mid to late Monday.

Its my understanding from previous communications with Christian that all final mixing and bottleling of the product are done at their contracted lab.

I am positive that this issue will come to light very shortly as Christian (from my dealings & communications), has been very forethright and genuine in manner.

If you are of great concern, then by all means shelf your supplies in the meantime and voice your concerns, yet lets not act like the anti's here and panic unnecessarily with speculations and non fact based ideas as they do.

-Greg

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Just got another response from Christian stating that they determined that it is due to the switch to clear bottles. They stated that they forgot to warn everyone not to expose the bottles to any sunlight. He stated that the amber bottles filtered the UV light and thus prevented the change in color.
He stated that the formula has not changed, nor the bottling process.. Only the bottles..
He did reiterate that the product is still safe however will be glad to exchange..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread