Joyetech eVic discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I know this isn't quite out yet, but from all the guesses I've skimmed it should be in a few weeks. I was really tempted to buy the Zmax for the variable wattage, but the single button turned me off and even more tempted to buy the Vamo, but now I'm drooling over the eVic and can't wait to see what canvape's price is.

The Vamo is only $45, but for me I'd need an 18650 ($10) and charger ($10). According to the joyetech site the price is $139 USD including the Samsung 18650, but I'm guessing canvape will be a bit lower than that. I think that the extra quality and some of the features are worth the price, the only think you'd lose compared to the Vamo is the short 18350 mode and the stacked 18350 mode - although I wouldn't be surprise if they come out with an 18350 battery tube for the eVic, considering they're already listing the controller head, battery and battery tube separately.

Here's a quick list of features;

Native 510 AND ego connections ( AFAIK that's a first or at least rare for 18650 PVs )
2-15 Watts
3-5 Volts
Micro usb for software upgrades and IMHO silly monitoring software
charging the 18650 via USB

I *think* this has a 3 amp limit, so people will complain they can't vape at 7-8 volts, but I don't see that being a problem for me any time in the near or even distant future. :)

Joyetech's product page: Joyetech eVic starter Kits, Vapor Intelligent Cigarette

And here is a review, in German, but you can get the general idea; eVic - YouTube The software is at about 5:30 and a good view of the display is at about 8:45

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
As a software engineer I'm sort of excited to see if I can create programs to play around with this PV...... Though I'm not quite sure what I would do yet.

How would you go about this without the release of an API? It would be very interesting at the very least to see what could be tinkered with inside that thing, but you'd have to reverse-engineer the firmware to figure that out to start with (which you could probably do with the release of the first firmware update), but I highly doubt Joyetech would release any sort of SDK for it.

The MiD seems like it would be better suited to developing things for, but again, since selling modules is going to be a significant portion of their revenue from the device, modules are almost certainly going to be strictly the provenance of whoever's making them for Janty, and the modules probably have to be signed.

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
As a software engineer I'm sort of excited to see if I can create programs to play around with this PV...... Though I'm not quite sure what I would do yet.

eVic Jailbreak anyone? 1000W of power perhaps? Charge your Tesla?

Charging-Post-at-Tyne-Bridge-from-Charge-your-Car.jpg

encee_rz

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
How would you go about this without the release of an API? It would be very interesting at the very least to see what could be tinkered with inside that thing, but you'd have to reverse-engineer the firmware to figure that out to start with (which you could probably do with the release of the first firmware update), but I highly doubt Joyetech would release any sort of SDK for it.

I never said it would be legal.... hwahhehehehhahhehhe

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
It will totally get hacked. There's so many smart people vaping probably easier to hack the program that will change the variables then reverse engineer it. I want unlimited ammo!

There we go. Add an "enter code" option to the firmware.

IDKFA
IDDQD

God mode with unlimited weapons and ammo.

Damn, I'm old...

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I have it on my phone.

Considering I played the original on a 486 DX2/66, that also makes me feel bloody old.

Damn, why did you have to say that, that's the exact system I played DOOM on, now I feel old and I think I'm younger than you. :p DOOM and Duke Nukem were my first PC games though and my first console was the NES .. only the cool kids down the street had the commodore 64 or an Atari. :)

Back to the eVic .. do you have an ETA and approximate price mopar ? :drool: I'm regretting not buying a Vamo now to tide me over.

Spac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
Winnipeg
Had the old 486 too... And the first consol was a Colecovision. First game with it was Donkey Kong! :D Beleive it or not, still have it with a pile of games and it still works... :D Retro gaming! :2cool:

Damn, why did you have to say that, that's the exact system I played DOOM on, now I feel old and I think I'm younger than you. :p DOOM and Duke Nukem were my first PC games though and my first console was the NES .. only the cool kids down the street had the commodore 64 or an Atari. :)

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I hate that I know everything you just said.

Face it. We're old farts who can easily remember a time when the Internet was called "bulletin board systems", and only one person could use one at a time, unless it was one of those fancy-schmancy pay systems with multiple phone lines and a monthly fee. (Any Ontarians remember CRS?)

And Descent. I was horribly addicted to Descent. And Descent II played like crap on that 486.

Back to the eVic .. do you have an ETA and approximate price mopar ? :drool: I'm regretting not buying a Vamo now to tide me over.

Apparently Joyetech started sending out smaller batches about a week or so ago. Some vendors should start seeing them arrive this week.

Had the old 486 too... And the first consol was a Colecovision. First game with it was Donkey Kong! :D Beleive it or not, still have it with a pile of games and it still works... :D Retro gaming! :2cool:

First for me was a Coleco Gemini -- Coleco's 2600 clone. Then I got a Colecovision. Then a real 2600. Then I moved on to computers. First games for me were the two that came packed-in with the console: Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap. Good times...

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
LOL! I still have a working Atari in my parents basement somewhere... I took it out when I was in high school and tried it, it still worked but since the television connector was outdated (the big metal plug) I had to strip the wire and just put he bare wire into the cable input.. then had to take apart the controllers and reconnect the wires (I couldn't believe how simple the internals of the controllers were), and it worked! About 30 or more games and I played it for a weekend and then boxed it back up, it was a good laugh.

I had the Atari, then a Tandy Rainbow computer (only had a keyboard and a floppy disk drive, hooked up to a regular tv and it booted from a floppy boot disk... no hard drive, lol!), then original Nintendo, Sega Genesis etc.... It is funny to play old games now, they are not quite how I remembered them... downloaded the original C&C and played for maybe 5 minutes and had to return to a more recent version. Technology has come a long way.

Edit: I would love to find "Pitfall" for Atari, tha used to be my favorite game... swinging from the vines, avoiding the snakes, and of course walking over the sleeping crocodiles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread