Joyetech eVic discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Face it. We're old farts who can easily remember a time when the Internet was called "bulletin board systems", and only one person could use one at a time, unless it was one of those fancy-schmancy pay systems with multiple phone lines and a monthly fee. (Any Ontarians remember CRS?)

And Descent. I was horribly addicted to Descent. And Descent II played like crap on that 486.

I'm a tad too young for BBSes .. or maybe just not cool enough for them. I just remember when only smart people made webpages. :) *sigh* The good ole days.

I LOVED Descent .. I used to get the worst 3d headaches from that. LOL Starfox always reminded me of that, but was never quite as cool.

I think I've got 3 NES systems in my closet, I kept meaning to collect all the retro systems, then just planned to emulate them and neither happened. :(

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
I ran a bbs with a friend at 2400baud. 1 line. wwiv. I also remember when I had to set up tia or slirp on a uni shell to emulate slip or ppp so I could use a dx2/66 with windows 3.1, winsock, and netscape to surf the web. Before that it was lynx from the shell command line :) Pre http I was using gopher at the uni library in high school lol

Being this old is good as long as you can still remember the past :p

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
I am shocked that NOBODY here mentioned Castle Wolfenstein, after seeing mentions of DOOM and Duke Nukem. Descent was AWESOME..until Quake came out!! I started gaming on a Commodore 64, loading cassette tapes. Who here remembers PitStop 2 or Attack of the Mutant Camels?! LOL

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I am shocked that NOBODY here mentioned Castle Wolfenstein, after seeing mentions of DOOM and Duke Nukem. Descent was AWESOME..until Quake came out!! I started gaming on a Commodore 64, loading cassette tapes. Who here remembers PitStop 2 or Attack of the Mutant Camels?! LOL

Ahh, Pitstop. Loved that game. AotMC? Jeff Minter made some of the greatest games ever. As far as I know he still does.

Castle Wolfenstein (and Return) were great. Played the originals -- and of course Wolf3D on the PC. Good times...

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
OK I am sure I have told this story but I remember overclocking my 300 baud modem to get a whopping 412 baud out of it on my C-64 so I could load the BBS's quicker.....

I had what was known as a Pocket Modem back then that allowed you to tweak your baud rate from 300-500 baud. (I think MPP modems supported it too.) It was great up to about 415 baud, but anything above that and it started miscommunicating and throwing odd characters. I think there was only one or two BBSes I called that supported odd baud rates though, but still -- it was faster than 300 baud!

WA3PNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Chino Valley, AZ
www.rodeogeorge.com
When I "built" (yes, soldered every chip onto the circuit boards) my first Southwest Technical Products 6500 Computer, I was in my glory loading the 4K Basic from the Cassette Player. Only took about 12 minutes. Had an additional 4K in which to put the programs.

Then wised up, and just wrote the bare code (without an assembler) so that I could run bigger programs.

The 300 Baud Terminal (which was also a kit) was the cat's meow!

The kicker was, when I purchased the Single 8" Floppy Disk Drive for a mere $1,200.

RodeoGeorge

Last edited:

RicZilla

May 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Lol how did this get from Evic to Retro gaming !!!

Lol I remember the C-64 and it's fast load Cart making the drive seemed like blazing fast.

load "explodingfist",8,1
such classic games as Winter Games, Jumpman, Mission Impossible (Stay a While Stay forever muahahah), Pitstop 2, Stunt Car Racer, Beach Head II.

Then I moved on to the Amiga systems wasted alot of money on those and gave up and Got a PC :(

Kinda sad when you Just Finished playing Far Cry II and Borderlands II and you compare the Graphics and Gameplay.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
You guys are cracking me up. I used a seven line ddial BBS on our Commodore 64; this is me back then! athena point zero bbs.jpg
I was looking for info on the JoyetecheVic, that's how I found your thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread