The Official Canvape Vamo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Yeah been playing around with it a bit more and it seems to remember a few setting would of been nice if it would keep the V or W minor annoyance. Really a good replacement for my LT 1.0 for a fraction of the price and a much more durable case. And can push those low oms carto's without missing a beat.

I would not use it too much in stacked config, using unbalanced Lithium batteries in series is not the best idea as the voltages start to drift from each cells and one starts working much harder than the other.

Agreed about stacking ,,, however I follow a strict protocol ,,, which is

1) Record the starting voltage of both batteries with a multi-meter
2) I use 2 sets of paired 18350s and alternate the position of a paired set in the tube
3) Rest batteries before charge cycle and record voltage

I keep a log with the info ,,,, any significant voltage differences in a paired set ---- discard the set.

Using stacked batteries you need to be proactive about safety. So far no problems using the stacked configuration. Rotating battery position within the tube should minimize 'stress' for each battery in the paired set.

Last edited:

RicZilla

May 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Agreed about stacking ,,, however I follow a strict protocol ,,, which is

1) Record the starting voltage of both batteries with a multi-meter
2) I use 2 sets of paired 18350s and alternate the position of a paired set in the tube
3) Rest batteries before charge cycle and record voltage

I keep a log with the info ,,,, any significant voltage differences in a paired set ---- discard the set.

Using stacked batteries you need to be proactive about safety. So far no problems using the stacked configuration. Rotating battery position within the tube should minimize 'stress' for each battery in the paired set.

I come from RC racing where our chargers cost about the same as a Pro Vari And the batteries about half ;)

1) Logging the voltage is a very good practice but should only be measured after charging and both batteries should not differ too much. H ow much ? i'm not sure automated chargers have spoiled me ;)
2) Paring your batteries Is a good idea since they SHOULD age about the same.
2) Keeping them in the same position or alternating not sure that will do anything the current will flow the same thru both batteries regardless of position since they are in series but might save the wear and tear on where they contact on the spring and nipples.
3) Very good and sound advice !

If you are not going to use your batteries for a while you should leave them partially discharged like when you get them from the manufacturer. Lithium batteries should never be stored empty or full.

Chances your new batteries explode are verry slim but as they age it greatly increases wish the chargers had more info after the charge I should make a holder and charge my batteries with my RC charger and see how well they charge but not too sure about the C ratings they manufacturer seems to have vague specs and conflicting.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I come from RC racing where our chargers cost about the same as a Pro Vari And the batteries about half ;)

1) Logging the voltage is a very good practice but should only be measured after charging and both batteries should not differ too much. H ow much ? i'm not sure automated chargers have spoiled me ;)
2) Paring your batteries Is a good idea since they SHOULD age about the same.
2) Keeping them in the same position or alternating not sure that will do anything the current will flow the same thru both batteries regardless of position since they are in series but might save the wear and tear on where they contact on the spring and nipples.
3) Very good and sound advice !

If you are not going to use your batteries for a while you should leave them partially discharged like when you get them from the manufacturer. Lithium batteries should never be stored empty or full.

Chances your new batteries explode are verry slim but as they age it greatly increases wish the chargers had more info after the charge I should make a holder and charge my batteries with my RC charger and see how well they charge but not too sure about the C ratings they manufacturer seems to have vague specs and conflicting.

Thanks for the additional tips ,,, same to you ,,, very good and sound advice !

Duranu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2012
Illinois, USA
Just got mine in today, got a button top efet (spelling?) 18650 in there and been enjoying it quite a bit so far. Enough that I'm sure my Twists will end up performing "backup" duty and I'll keep my iTaste MVP for use during the work day.

I don't get any "rattle" with the battery (and got 2 Panasonic 18650s on the way), although there is some slight battery movement when I shake it. More like side to side as opposed to up and down, so the connection seems quite solid. It's also "slick" and I'm thinking a thin rubber tube wold do wonders for grip. Everything seems to run well so far for the few hours I've been vaping with it, and with various tanks, clearos, etc. Buttons seem solid, and I don't even get the metallic clicking sound that PBusardo reported having when running the fingers rapidly back and forth over the buttons.

The only "blemish" is with juncture between the center tube (the part that doesn't screw off) and the head unit which seems to be slightly off kilter, making it tilt ever so slightly back. So it's not perfectly straight, although it's not really evident unless you're seriously and very closely scrutinizing it. It also seems to keep firing for a brief moment after I've let go of the main button. All this is minor though. Got the gunmetal version and it's definitely a fingerprint magnet, but the cloth pouch that came with it is perfect for wiping those away.

Overall, I'm glad I got it. I like the heft, seems very solid. As for longevity, obviously only time will tell. Already thinking of getting the chrome version eventually. Picked this after having considered the Lavatube v2 and the Bombshell Stinger.

darren molnar

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
Looks hopeful that I will have mine tomorrow. Good timing too as I am ...... at my zmax. I can feel the ground when my hand is across the battery cap gap. Feels like little baby shocks. Thinking about gutting it and making a nice hello kitty box mod :p

Interesting, I was just noticing that this weekend, at first it just felt really hot at the cap about three seconds into the draw, I thought the spring was heating up. But ya, it's many little tiny shocks. My button is starting to fire only when it darn well feels like it now too, I think the chip is jambed a bit crooked from being dropped ( or as I like to call it, living in the real world.). I put a Vamo on my sis in laws order, get it for xmas.

Last edited:

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Interesting, I was just noticing that this weekend, at first it just felt really hot at the cap about three seconds into the draw, I thought the spring was heating up. But ya, it's many little tiny shocks. My button is starting to fire only when it darn well feels like it now too, I think the chip is jambed a bit crooked from being dropped ( or as I like to call it, living in the real world.). I put a Vamo on my sis in laws order, get it for xmas.

Ya. The innards can move around really easy in the zmax. I find that the screen holds the board in there tight. If it is unglued, falling out, missing, or cracked, the button will sit higher than it should and will misfire or the board will be misaligned and twisted a bit so you only really hit the side of the button down. If you put your finger in the tube and push the board towards the button, I bet it will click. If not, you are lucky. :D
I have been wrapping a rubber band around the screen to put pressure on the inner board to keep it where it is supposed to sit. These are the main reason's I went with a vamo even though I don't need more toys.

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Vamo is pretty darn nice for the price! Feels solid, I enjoy the button placement. Looks very sharp with an Ody or a Penelope as they have the same type of lines as the vamo. Ody has about 1 - 2mm of circular overhang but looks like it belongs.

Only issue with my vamo is the mod top threading where the telescopic tube goes on is a bit rough on mine it goes on loosey but you can feel snagging. Gonna noalox it and see if I can get the battery cap on without damaging the threads. The battery cap is very very tight, but it threads in like butter in 18650 mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread