Kanthal Coil Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
great tool. thanks much.

what is meant by "coil width spacing X dia"? not really positive what to enter in that one.

That is meant for total coil width calculation. It is spacing in multiples of wire diameter. A value of 1 means the coils are touching, 2 means there is a space between turns equal to the thickness of the wire, and so on.

maxd

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
NYC,NY
That is meant for total coil width calculation. It is spacing in multiples of wire diameter. A value of 1 means the coils are touching, 2 means there is a space between turns equal to the thickness of the wire, and so on.

it is a good and simple enough idea,
if you wish - I can make it to happen

stay tuned :)

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
Hi pjmarkert, Would you be willing to make another version of this for nichrome? I looked at making the change myself but it is way beyond my skill level. TIA

I have done it for all types of wire but this is not letting me upload it, I will try again later from home.
Correct file now attached

Attachments

• Coil Calc.xls
    58.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Nice job

i wish i paid attention in school... i am terrible with excel.

You can learn the basics of EXCEL pretty quickly, it's not that hard - or just get a Google account, and use the spreadsheet app in Google Docs, it's free, and they have pretty good documentation. It's when you really dig into it, is when it shows what it can really do - most people use about 5% of EXCEL's features, when you see a really skilled user set up things with it, it's amazing. I know someone who set up an an entire company to run off of it - each workstation had a CPU and screen to enter start and finish, it kept track of inventory, scheduling, estimating, and billing, it was impressive as hell. (That led to him getting side work as a consultant setting up other businesses in the area...)

I was forced to learn to use it as a designer, I'd have to take data from it to make charts, and presentations. I got the bug, and dug in, and learned to make simple sheets that can calculate simple things, and to make some pretty intricate chart designs. It's pretty cool!

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
hi pjmarkert, nice sheet! thank you..
i'm wondering if micro coil affects the whole resistance due to closely tight each other?
Micro coils are supposed to be oxidized with a torch to build up a layer of insulating oxide, so if the resistance is too low, there are shorts between the turns which lead to hot spots. I used the chart to make a 1.8 ohm microcoil for my protank II and my Sigelei Legend reads it as 1.8 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread