Kanthal Coil Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nu2Dis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Jersey Shore, NJ, USA
You can learn the basics of EXCEL pretty quickly, it's not that hard - or just get a Google account, and use the spreadsheet app in Google Docs, it's free, and they have pretty good documentation. It's when you really dig into it, is when it shows what it can really do - most people use about 5% of EXCEL's features, when you see a really skilled user set up things with it, it's amazing. I know someone who set up an an entire company to run off of it - each workstation had a CPU and screen to enter start and finish, it kept track of inventory, scheduling, estimating, and billing, it was impressive as hell. (That led to him getting side work as a consultant setting up other businesses in the area...)

I was forced to learn to use it as a designer, I'd have to take data from it to make charts, and presentations. I got the bug, and dug in, and learned to make simple sheets that can calculate simple things, and to make some pretty intricate chart designs. It's pretty cool!

vlookup is my best friend... at work

Micro coils are supposed to be oxidized with a torch to build up a layer of insulating oxide, so if the resistance is too low, there are shorts between the turns which lead to hot spots. I used the chart to make a 1.8 ohm microcoil for my protank II and my sigelei Legend reads it as 1.8 ohms.

i see, thanks for your response
i never torch a micro coil before however i did burn the kanthal using a lighter to reduce the springiness, is it enough to create the insulating oxides?

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Micro coils are supposed to be oxidized with a torch to build up a layer of insulating oxide, so if the resistance is too low, there are shorts between the turns which lead to hot spots. I used the chart to make a 1.8 ohm microcoil for my protank II and my Sigelei Legend reads it as 1.8 ohms.

not really. many just mount it and dry-burn to get rid of hotlegs. even super_x_drifter, who is synonymous with micro coils, no longer torches. i only torch 28awg or thicker in hopes it makes it easier to handle.

but i love the spreadsheet. thanks! :)

Hazewitch

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Miami,FL
thank you mucho PJ...this was exactly what I needed....

Incidentally, I began re-building some single coils with 2mm wick and 26g Kanthal. The results were way too low for my vamo 3

first attempt=5 wraps - 0.1ohms
second attempt=0.2ohms
third= 0,0ohms...loll

At least im learning and now with your sheet, I figure I need 34g wire which should pull up the resistance ....

thanx again for this effort

Xavier

I have created a coil resistance and size calculator for Microsoft Excel which is attached. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I am also working on an application to do the same.

Very Nice and a lot of data all together. Will defiantly help in making future coils.
I'm guessing most or all of the data in gray cells are used for the formulas and red cells are calculated data. Any thoughts to putting all the yellow input cells together with related sub data off on the side?
My I also suggest using conditional formatting on the ohms results to help highlight if a coil will work or not instead of the little cell that could be overlooked (IE red/yellow/green cells if bad/borderline/good)

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
Very Nice and a lot of data all together. Will defiantly help in making future coils.
I'm guessing most or all of the data in gray cells are used for the formulas and red cells are calculated data. Any thoughts to putting all the yellow input cells together with related sub data off on the side?
My I also suggest using conditional formatting on the ohms results to help highlight if a coil will work or not instead of the little cell that could be overlooked (IE red/yellow/green cells if bad/borderline/good)

Thanks for the suggestions, will do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread