Kanthal Coil Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

claybuster

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2012
Connecticut
Very nice spread sheet. I am looking for some answers to questions being new at rebuilding and hope someone can please advise.

I have two rebuilds coming soon. One is an IGO W, and the other is a a Trident V12 clone. I ordered some 30G Kanthal and some 2mm silica wick. I also have an ohm meter coming soon as well.

Looking at the spread sheet...I set the gauge to 30 and diameter of form to 2mm. I would need 7 turns to be at 1.539 ohm. Assuming I want to double the wick over on itself before wrapping, I set the diameter of form to 4mm. With that data 4 turns will yield 1.703 ohms...still right around where I want to be at. Now the spread sheet indicates toward the bottom: log-kanger MT3S tanks. Will the data yield the same results using what I have, the IGO W and the VI2 clone? If asking stupid questions here I apologize but being new at this I would like to get off to a good start without having to do a lot a re-wraps. The device I will be using is a smok Tech bolt.

Also, suppose I want to do a dual coil setup in the IGO W. Does the numbers of wraps on each coil remain the same...4 if doubling over the wick, 7 if not doubling the 2mm wick?

And lastly, I was thinking about (with the IGO W) running the wires from one coil through the holes in the posts, and the second coil wires around the screws in the top of the posts. That way I don't have to go with two wires through the positive center post hole. Would that setup be okay? I realize if I tighten down the screws too much I run the risk of breaking the wires of the first coil.

Oh, one other thing...I saw in a video using an ohm meter on you tube, the user touched the needles together first to take a reading then subtracted that number from the result. Is that something that should be done with all ohm meters or is that something unique to that brand of ohm meter? Again, sorry if there questions are way off track here....I hope to do this right and be safe.
Thanks for any feedback....

Charlie

claybuster

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2012
Connecticut
I just noticed the second spread sheet, numbers of wraps changed slightly using 2mm form, but not 4mm form (7 wraps to 8). The wire I purchased was the K-A1. Another question...I noticed in some videos on wrapping, folks are going around the wick without using a needle or wire gauge. Is just wrapping the wick without a coil form okay?

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
Thank you for the compliments.

IMHO questions don't make you look stupid, the answers make you smarter. So you can't get smarter if you don't ask questions.

The The log area is just for the purpose of keeping notes and I was building coils for a Kanget MT3S but forgot to delete that in the log. It has no bearing whatsoever on the calculations. The Mod or head you use has no impact on the calculations.

Dual coils are usually wired in parallel, so a parallel dual coil with two 3 ohm coils will come to 1.5 ohms. If they are wired in series (uncommon) they will come to 6 ohms.
This link explains the series/parallel resistance calculations. How to Calculate Series and Parallel Resistance (with Cheat Sheets)

I am not familiar with the IGO-W, but I know if you use the usual parallel wiring, you should be able to wire both coils to the same connections/posts. 2 wires together, thru center post, if I understand how that works should be fine.

Some low end Ohmmeters with cheap test leads may have some resistance in the test leads, and that may impact low resistance measurements. It is correct that you should do that subtraction.

Phil

pjmarkert

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Lake View, NY
Last edited:

claybuster

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2012
Connecticut
I was unable to duplicate that problem make sure you got the latest version from post #43.
I tried the calcs:
(all with .125" lead length)
30 ga A1, 8 wraps, 2mm form = 1.794 Ohms
30 ga A1, 7 wraps, 4mm form = 2.845 Ohms
30 ga A1, 4 wraps, 4mm form = 1.703 Ohms

Yes, I'm with you....I must of had different variables in the first time making calculations....maybe the wire.

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
Is it not just as simple to find the ohms per inch of the chosen wire, cut it to a length that corresponds to the desired resistance and form your coil keeping in mind that a short amount will be trimmed off after attaching the coil to the posts...

Ex: .72 ohms per inch of 32 ga Kanthal A1, resistance desired 2 ohms so cut a 3" piece and coil it, trimming the ends after attaching should equal approx. 2 ohms regardless of how many wraps you get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread