Status
Not open for further replies.

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
There is definitely a learning curve and a whole lifestyle change when switching from a combustible to a battery, and IMHO, the less technology you throw at a new vaper, the better!!

When I first started, our only choices/options were Black or White, and Manual or Automatic... :?: LOL!!

Purr-sonally, I think an Evod kit is best because of it's sleek design, the tank is covered and can match the batt, plus the heads are easy to change. And either a 650 or 900mAh for starters... anything bigger would be uncomfortable for them.

(I remember getting my 1st eGo when they came out, and how HUGE it seemed compared to my 'slim' one)

A must have is at least TWO batts, some extra heads/coils, and enough juice to last a month or more... :D

Thanks!!

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
I have never tried an iStick or MVP, and I see so many recommending one or the other. I have wanted an MVP for a long time and i want to say it is an ideal starter device, but I have never tried one so I cannot say that! Lol I also think the iStick would be great as well...
I used the ego t styles when I first started, and they were great for me...I still like the ego style batteries :)
....My ideal starter kit would be:
2 Smoktech 900mah ARO batteries
ARO Bottom Coil tank
FBC Clearomizer
Many spare replacement coils! (My biggest issue when I first started)
(And of course my hazelnut eliquid :) )

Thank you! Good luck everyone!

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
I would say the iStick 20 with Kanger Aero tanks. Capacity is decent to start, adjustable airflow, coils easy to change, not difficult to fill, no real leakage or gurgling issues, glass tanks, flavor is pretty good, changeable drip tip if they choose, plus they aren't difficult to fill. I think they also have colors to match the iSticks too if that is important to them.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Like most,i started with an ego,simply because they are about the cheapest as far as vaporizers go,so that way if i didn't like it i wasn't out alot of money.But,knowing what i know now,for me the perfect starter kit would be something along the lines of variable watt box mod,or an istick,something along those lines that is adjustable wattage,along with maybe a protank for starting out,and of course a bottle or 2 of juice to get started with.

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
Maybe I should have skipped the cig-a-likes and gone straight for the eGo's. They just seemed so big and unmanageable. Fast forward to now and they seem small and weightless compared to other APV's.

For a beginner I think a 900 or 1300mAh eGo twist with 2 Bottom coil Pyrex tanks and a bunch of replacement heads. So long as the variable voltage isn't too intimidating. I still use mine.

super dave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
1 Mile High
I think for the person just starting out & maybe after trying the cigalikes & such, they want the best bang for the buck!
An Ego starter kit is best by far in my opinion, as they are pretty much bullet proof & cost effective!
Two Batts, either 650mah or 900 work fine, along with charger.
Two Clearomizers , one LR & one SR...or choice & two more replaceable heads.
& maybe give one atty & carto too, as some would like these.
Carry case.
This is a little more than my first ego starter kit, mine just came with two atty's & I later discovered clearo's but if I couldn't have found this kind of kit, I may have gone back to smoking, as I was getting frustrated until I found ECF & Ego's!
The kit MadVapes carries is a great Ego starter kit! :) :vapor:
http://www.madvapes.com/510-redux-ego-clearomizer-kit.html

rhammer186

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
NY
I think the best starter kit is the istick with a nautilus type tank. The idea of 2 tanks is wonderful. I made the mistake of starting only with 1. I immediately realized that switching between flavors was near impossible until I finished my tank.

I could definitely use more tanks and an additional istick for when mine is charging ;)

-Rachel

sungbd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Best Starter Kit (in my humble opinion): mini istick + Nautilus mini + at least one bottle of juice

1) mini istick: because of its easy to use feature and small size since it is for starters
2) Nautilus mini: when I started vaping I seriously thought about picking up stinky again because of ejuice leakage & flood
(Nautilus mini was the first one I never saw leakage & flood)
3) I made mistake when I first bought my vaping gear. I bought everything but ejuice.... Had to wait one more week for ejuice delivery. :facepalm:

Thank you for the giveaway, MadVapes! :)

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I would think a pair of eGo batteries with a pair of Nautilus minis, a couple spare coils and at least three small bottles of juice. Let the beginner try a variety of flavors from the start, and see how much better they taste than smokes.

I started with the 401, 801 & 510 minis, it was a pair eGo 650 single voltage batteries that convinced me that vaping was feasible. I love my iStick, MVP. and other mods and mechs, but I'm not sure I would have been comfortable with them starting out. My first mods were 14500 battery models, the RoughStack was my first 18650, as she said....size matters....:lol:

DEAc23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Washington
If I could go back and choose a starter kit with the knowledge that I have now, this is more than likely what I would buy:

1. (2) iTaste MVP 2.0
2. (6) Kanger Protank 2
3. (30) Replacement Coils (for the PT2 naturally)
4. 100' of 30g Kanthal
5. A box of Koh Gen Doh (or possibly silica)
6. Around 80-90mL of a few appealing e-juice flavors/brands

Of course that's based on what was available when I started vaping, if I could pick from what's available these days...Then I would definitely just skip to my most recent purchases, a P3, AW IMR 18490's, KFL+ clone, Igo-L RDA, 28g Kanthal, Koh Gen Doh, and the Nitecore Digicharger D2/D4. Since I'm quite positive it would have ended up saving me quite a bit of money in the long run :lol:

Thanks for the chance MadVapes and Crowedude654 :thumb:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I make starter kits for friends, and they are normally a pair of eGo or Evod 900 mah batteries, a charger and case, and a couple of good quality CE4 clearos. Easy to learn with and maintain, not much money and suitable backups in the long run.

A good starter kit would have a few bottles of liquid that suit one's preference, so a couple bottles of 24mg DIY liquid added to any kit makes it much more effective to kill those cravings!

Spiceman1967

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Lompoc, CA, USA
Here is my :2c:

One thing that bugged me when I started was the eGo pens. I didn't like the battery life, and it just didn't seem to deliver enough punch to give me what I needed to actually get off the cigs. Most of my beginning days with the eGo was spent vaping a little, then popping outside for a smoke. It was what I used "in between" smokes, and not "instead" of smokes. Then I got my first MVP and the world of vaping opened up.

Having said that, my recommended starter kit would be an MVP and at least two Kanger glass tanks with extra coils. Also, as noted here by others, a small pamphlet that provides a solid introduction to the world of vaping.

As always, thanks for running another great contest.

When I think starter kit, I'm thinking a setup that's less than $50. So, I would have to go with an ego twist and a couple of bottom coil evod type tanks. I'm sure the istick/mvp and nautilus/aerotank combo would perform much better but it would also cost about twice as much and I think the price of vape gear is what keeps most smokers from making the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread