Not open for further replies.

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
Well, I machined a top for my Chalice....temporary until Bugs gets me a replacement. Here's my wick setup....I thought I'd share this. 32 NiChrome, double 3mm wick.
60D02294-FEDA-4C45-81D6-E9E632FE785C-249-000004E9616FE88F.jpg

That's a beauty of a build, well done! Must be nice to be able to machine parts on the fly, got any pics of your Chalice's temporary hat?

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
Good idea Dave. I put my finger over the hole and I could tell a huge difference. It was a tighter draw (I didn't have my finger completely over it) and got a better throat hit

You know, I actually miss the blind squonk, that little affirmation of a successful reload... but you can kinda get that back by putting your finger over the hole and drawing on it while poking the bottle. Takes nimble fingers to pull it off, though. It would stand to reason that if you can build suction by covering the airhole when you feed, you can tweak the quality of the vape as well. I'm pretty happy with the way mine hits standard since I went to a vertical wick arrangement, airflow isn't a problem any more.

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Finally got around to trying an SS wick in the Chalice. Its pretty good so far, but I think I might try for a lower resistance coil next time.

Question for those that have been using this setup. I'm getting maybe 3 decent drags after a squonk, then I start to lose flavor and vapor. Is that typical with the mesh setup? I would assume so since there isn't much of a wick to soak up juice. With cotton I was getting about 5~6 drags between squonks.

On another note, juice consumption seems to be less than cotton. I could go through a 6ml bottle a day on cotton while the mesh seems to consume less juice for the same vaping time. Also, one major benefit is that I don't have to worry about a dry hit burning up my wick. It took me several days to realize I needed to keep the cotton soaked. Perhaps that had something to do with my rapid juice consumption!

The other thing I noticed with cotton is that my juice darkened quite a bit. The last ml or so in the bottle was considerably darker than how it started out. I'll have to see if the mesh wick has a similar effect.

And for those that will ask, I did make a couple of attempts with silica but found that it just didn't taste right compared to cotton. It seemed a little harsh in comparison. I think the cotton has a tendency to round out some flavors, while in my experience the silica would make the same juice a little too 'in your face'. Perhaps I just became accustomed to that cottony flavor...

I got a bit of that same harshness with my first mesh wick, but it is settling in nicely. I think next I'll try cotton wrapped in mesh with a bit of a cotton tail to store up some of the juice. I've seen a video of that setup on the Phoenix. Anyone using that with the Chalice?

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Question for those that have been using this setup. I'm getting maybe 3 decent drags after a squonk, then I start to lose flavor and vapor. Is that typical with the mesh setup? I would assume so since there isn't much of a wick to soak up juice. With cotton I was getting about 5~6 drags between squonks.

On mine I get several drags with the vertical SS mesh wick... Is the wick kinda down in the hole a little? Seems to me it kinda acts like a stopper a little bit... Enough to slow down the liquid from draining right back down the hole..

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Its sitting just over the hole. I thought the wick needed to be off the floor of the atty. You're saying I can jam it into the hole? might have to give that a shot.

Also, what resistance are you running? I'm running 1.7Ω, the same as I would with cotton, but it feels a touch cooler than what I'm used to. I want to try a lower resistance as well, but I find it odd that the mesh wick at the same resistance feels this much cooler. Of course if I had that VV Grand I could just dial it in. Perhaps if I'm lucky I'll be able to do that this time next week!

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Its sitting just over the hole. I thought the wick needed to be off the floor of the atty. You're saying I can jam it into the hole? might have to give that a shot.

Also, what resistance are you running? I'm running 1.7Ω, the same as I would with cotton, but it feels a touch cooler than what I'm used to. I want to try a lower resistance as well, but I find it odd that the mesh wick at the same resistance feels this much cooler. Of course if I had that VV Grand I could just dial it in. Perhaps if I'm lucky I'll be able to do that this time next week!

Mine is sitting in the hole. Don't jam it in there... You will push the positive pin out. *Ask how I know LOL* It can sit on the floor just fine as long as it is well oxidized.

I am running at 2.5ohms, but also thats at 5v...

kazz63758

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Southeast Missouri
Finally got around to trying an SS wick in the Chalice. Its pretty good so far, but I think I might try for a lower resistance coil next time.

I'm running a vertical SS wick and I also get 3 (occasionally 4) drags before having to re-prime. I can't comment on usage vs cotton as I've not tried that style of wick. My juice does discolor as the bottle gets lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread