Mech mod sub forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
While i agree that life is dangerous, that really didn't answer my question of why you are posting non related injury photos in a thread.
Maybe he was operating the table saw with his right hand whilst using his left hand to try to rewick his rda that he was going to use on his mech so the injury is still related after all?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Zaryk

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Personally, I, feel safer with a mech than I feel with a regulated mod. And that is despite I vape my mech fairly high above the CDR of my batteries on a daily basis, but nevertheless I don't recommend going above the CDR because not recommending it to anyone happens to be an integral part of my doing it responsibly in view of the fact there might be people reading this who are new to the mech or who think they have all figured it out, but haven't.

That said, as long as you know what you are doing and you are correct when you say that you know what you are doing, you can vape at .06 or even at .04 on a single battery mech, or even at .04 on a series mech. You certainly can't do it without risk, as lithium ion rechargeable batteries are dangerous, but anyone who listens to Mooch already knows there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to vape. So the CDR was not picked because it is safe. It was picked because it is a reasonable number to start, and because it is a reasonable number to recommend to new vapers. It doesn't mean everyone who decides to go above the CDR is necessarily always doing something wrong or irresponsibly dangerous. Dangerous, yes, but the irresponsible part still only applies to those who don't know what they're doing so, just because there exist people who lack that knowledge, doesn't also mean that going above the CDR should always be stigmatized and or labelled taboo.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    That said, as long as you know what you are doing and you are correct when you say that you know what you are doing, you can vape at .06 or even at .04 on a single battery mech
    What does a person have to know to vape at those specs safely?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Personally, I, feel safer with a mech than I feel with a regulated mod. And that is despite I vape my mech fairly high above the CDR of my batteries on a daily basis, but nevertheless I don't recommend going above the CDR because not recommending it to anyone happens to be an integral part of my doing it responsibly in view of the fact there might be people reading this who are new to the mech or who think they have all figured it out, but haven't.

That said, as long as you know what you are doing and you are correct when you say that you know what you are doing, you can vape at .06 or even at .04 on a single battery mech, or even at .04 on a series mech. You certainly can't do it without risk, as lithium ion rechargeable batteries are dangerous, but anyone who listens to Mooch already knows there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to vape. So the CDR was not picked because it is safe. It was picked because it is a reasonable number to start, and because it is a reasonable number to recommend to new vapers. It doesn't mean everyone who decides to go above the CDR is necessarily always doing something wrong or irresponsibly dangerous. Dangerous, yes, but the irresponsible part still only applies to those who don't know what they're doing so, just because there exist people who lack that knowledge, doesn't also mean that going above the CDR should always be stigmatized and or labelled taboo.
    If you have to build a .06 or a .04, you certainly have absolutely no idea what you're doing . Basically, you just suck at figuring out how to get a good vape with a sensible build .

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    That said, as long as you know what you are doing and you are correct when you say that you know what you are doing, you can vape at .06 or even at .04 on a single battery mech, or even at .04 on a series mech.

At those resistances, an error of 0.01 Ohms in your equipment's measurement accuracy can mean a difference in discharge current that exceeds the entire CDR of a commonly sold 18650 cell.

I will pray for you.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    What does a person have to know to vape at those specs safely?
    You can never do it safely, and in fact I already explained why that is. It's because lithium ion rechargeable batteries are dangerous so, even if you vape at or below the CDR, the batteries are still dangerous no matter what, but for reasons that are obvious, the higher you go above the CDR, the bigger the added risk, and, the lower you go below the CDR, the bigger the added safety.

• Agree
    Reactions: Rossum

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    No better way to demonstrate Asbestos' point than to come into this very thread and saying dumb crap like
    "...I don't recommend (but it's fine and no biggie)..."
    "...if you know what you're doing..."
    "...0.06/0.04Ω on a mech..."
    FailFish.png

Really tempted to make a "mechbro bingo" sheet ...

With that kind of situational awareness one shouldn't even use a mech mod, let alone be allowed to drive a car.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Nobody is going to watch a 1.5yo 2h video and guess what you're referring to. If you want to talk about a specific statement then give a timestamp instead of assuming people will waste that much of their time.
    You can navigate to 1:45:09 in the video I linked to find out what I was referring to.

Reactions: anandroidid

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    If you just keep watching the video you'll notice at 1:46:40 Mooch literally says you can. That is, still assuming you know what you're doing.
    Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. ;)

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Mooch changed his way on advising the community in 2017, dropping his MVA rating (because people took it as build advice) and recommending nobody should exceed his CDR rating with any battery.
    assuming you know what you're doing
    So how do you verify the assumption that "you know what you're doing"? Do you have data on the internal temperature of the cells you're using while vaping like you do? Data on degradation of the battery under those use conditions?

If not you really can't make a case for "knowing what you're doing" and it's just a hollow phrase to make you feel warm and fuzzy. "Nothing happened to me" isn't "I know what I'm doing".

Writing what you write, even if you say you're not recommending it, is still implying that it's ok to vape like that because, hey, that guy does it...
    Eg posting on a forum "I don't recommend it but here's how you make explosives with diesel and fertilizer" will get you a romantic date with the feds and most likely have legal repercussions.
    If you're really serious with not wanting to recommend a certain brand of vaping then at the very least don't paint it as practical or alternatively generally keep it to yourself/private channels.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread