mechanical mod help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend using chapstick on threads. It will attract dirt and cause a rough action which goes against the point of putting it on there in the first place.

Either keep the threads clean and don’t use any product, or use the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) amount of 3in1 on the threads.

If the mod and it's threads are well engineered then you should not need lubrication, just careful and regular cleaning.

When I first got started in "high end" - and yes the definition of "high end" is subjective like anything else - most of my experiences from the manufacturers was to "Keep threads clean an apply a small amount of dielectric grease to threaded areas." As seen with my old V3 Flip - as they even threw a small tube of grease in with the mod itself. I did as instructed and never had issues with dirt getting caught in the threads, nor did it affect or impact the quality of vape. You can also see parts (especially moving parts where friction is likely to occur) greased on some of our current mechanical mods. My VapeAMP Rig v3 and Descendant had some grease in the firing mechanisms (again - where friction is bound to be seen). When asked the explanation was relatively simple - to keep parts moving freely.

Outside of the vaping realm - I lubricate my pistols, rifles, etc - where you might ask? Where friction is bound to be high. Friction causes wear and tear, wear and tear then leads to mechanical breakdown. Mechanical breakdown leads to misfeeding, misfiring, jams, etc.

You are free to do what you wish, but if it prolongs the life of the materials the devices are made of, there's no harm in trying it.

One of the very first things I do when I acquire a mod is review the threading. Taking some ultra-fine natural steel wool, equivalent or finer synthetic of same or a very fine brass wire brush I'll carefully, delicately de-burr the threads…if needed!

First passing a common microfiber cleaning towel typical of those you'll find at the grocery will reveal any rough or too fine edges. They exist! Some very quality devices I've found to even shed fine hairs of metal from their grooves. Believe me, they will penetrate you and you'll be none the wiser. Or, you may know very soon, for very apparent reasons.

With our mods: Stainless doesn't seize in common use. Brass or copper will not either no matter how much oxidation or patina. Unless you start adding bizarre chemistry to surfaces. Then all bets are off. I've got vats of all kinds of stuff. They all work great. Never use them. At least not on mods.

My routine is to wipe the threads clear of oxidation and any residue of liquid with a microfiber towel every time I'm holding a device and it comes to mind (including for especially 510 threading and contacts). It's become almost instinctual. Too much, plain old water and a fine tooth brush. Baking soda toothpaste if there's any stubborn accrual.

IMO the best solution is to make sure threads are fit from the onset. Oxidation spoils the vape.

Good luck. :)

Just like cleaning your atties when you get them. Tear it down, clean it off, dry it off, and using a clean, dry rag, check the threads, check the pins, check EVERYTHING. The minute you don't, that's when you take a rip and either get an anemic hit, the switch gets hot, or you get a really good taste of some bad machine oil (atomizers only). ALWAYS clean your devices, atties, etc before use. It will tell you what - if anything is mechanically wrong with your devices. For mechs, a light wash with little or no detergent in warm or hot water, followed by a polishing of the pins / contacts and as stated a fine bristled toothbrush / comb inside the threads is always a good idea. It never hurts to inspect the pins, springs, magnets, etc for wear, tear, and arc marks - noticed by pitting or dark spots on the materials (noticed greatly on brass, copper, silver, and gold). This will also help gauge how much abuse the mod has gone through.

Okay a couple things.... Mech mods don't look so hot once blown up. They look pretty bad then.

I have no doubt you can do fine with a mech if you want and you learn the safety issues involved. I do have to questions "I want to vape a mech mod because they are fantastic looking." I don't quite understand that rationale, it sort of.... I mean if you were hoping for a specific quality of the vape, I might understand it, perhaps. But,, there are also some reasonably attractive regulated mods too.

You are doing the vaping equivalent of "I want to date the hot blonde with double Ds that I met a Denny's." Which is certainly your choice, but then you are gong to have to cope with the fact that she works at Denny's as a hostess (no offense to hostesses anywhere) it's more really hot chicks tend to come with issues and lack of need to become intelligent may be one of them.

Which is SOMEWHAT apt, actually as your mech is not going to be as smart as some of your regulated mods at protecting you. You may have the female equivalent of a double D battery in there, but your girlfriend/mech will not be forgiving.

Regulated mods are the smart brunettes. Nothing wrong with that.

Anna

Where I agree with you and your sentiments, some people just like their mechs. I love my mechs. I don't use them as often as I'd like because I love the ability to tailor my vape without completely dismantling my build. I also don't like the degraded performance once your battery dips below a certain threshold. Maybe the OP has had some bad experiences with regulated mods and just wants something that just works. Maybe he is like me and had someone show them a mech and let him try it and he found that he enjoyed the vape from it (regardless of whether the guy was using 8 stacked 21700 batteries with a .00000000000001 ohm build in it). Or maybe he is experimenting and seeing what works for him - which there's nothing wrong with it - again, as long as he does it safely, there's no harm in trying new things.

I do agree though, sometimes my mechs are like the blond, double D server at Denny's. Gorgeous to look at, sometimes dumber than a dead goldfish in a toilet bowl.

I also love that they just work. I love that as long as I build something correctly to suit the batteries that power them, I can be rest assured that it's not going to throw an error at me, I don't have to worry about upgrading the firmware every 3 days because the programmers overlooked something, nor do I have to worry about "blowing a fuse" or fiddling with TCR's or the dreaded TC "stability" issue that took place when TC began to be a thing. To this day - even in my noobish starter days, I have yet to detonate a battery inside a mech. Some days I was reckless and built to STUPID levels. When I say STUPID levels, I believe the lowest resistance I have set my eyes upon was .02 ohms. I even took a few rips off it before I realized that no matter what, the hotter the vape never equated to better flavor.

As for the safety aspect of things - regulated devices are in fact safer to use for people unfamiliar with resistances, batteries, amp limits, etc. (Also known as Ohms Law). Can one be 100% safe with regulated mods? Hardly. How many times have I fat fingered or "shown off" what my regulated mod can do? More times than I'd care to admit. What happens when you set a 300 watt mod to 300 watts and take a rip off it prior to making sure your cotton is saturated? You get the worst, burnt, scratchy, dog turd tasting hit you can imagine. Is it good for you? Unlikely. It's like huffing a fart from Satan's ... without a filter. You can lower the chances of danger with a regulated mod, sure, but eliminate it completely? No.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
I have just gone back to mech mods.

Of course when I started, we had mech mods, not because of any aesthetic value, but because that was all that was available.

I do understand the 'because they look cool' sentiment.

I also wanted to add a safety device and I hit a problem, they seem to be a lot harder to find these days. I ended up finding some fuses from Vape Caf in Israel.

They are a simple resettable fuses, no kick, no effect at all other than a 10 second timer, and a current limit.

It is as close to a pure mech mod you can be, while adding safety.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
hi
I have gone from a myle ecig and decided to get into the mechanical mods as think they are fantastic looking. I just purchased a used style of mojo vs2013 not a clone with a A.I style of mojo drip tank (rta). my question is i want to add a safety device like a kick 2 but i cannot find anything. is there another device that took its place? i really love this mechanical mod any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
if you are looking for safety in a mech track down this mate it can handle down to 0.10ohms and 40amps!!!!but no 18650 will be rated over 30amps
Cthulhu Tube MOD – CTHULHU MOD -Innovations for or the chip from this :)
five clicks on/off for added safety!!

Last edited:

mione

Mar 1, 2019
file2.png
file3.png
Hi Again

i am really enjoying all the feed back thus far and great fromly apprciate it all, well i recieved the battiers from my ebay purchase and immedatly pluged them into my charge last night. after a couple of hours they were fully charged so i took them out and placed them on my counter last night. when i woke uo this morning i wanted to see if how much life they had left only to find out they were drained. is this normal ? or did i get the wrong ones? after leving them charged again it only took 20 minutes for them to be fully charged. ami reading this thing wrong or are the batteries jaced up and should i get new ones from another surce.
view below pics.
file1.jpeg

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
should the batteries be IMR or INR? as they ones i got are INR

Make sure you buy them from a respected battery supplier to make sure they are OEM and not rewraps. Battery Bro, IMRBatteries, Li-on Wholesale, etc.

For your mech, amperage ratings trump MAH ratings. You want your cells to be able to handle high current without going into meltdown, even if you are vaping at 15W levels. High MAH is a rating that reflects longer vape time on a charge. Amperage ratings indicate a cell's ability to handle higher amperage without producing high heat. You want the amperage cushion in case something happens to your mech that produces a short condition. A low amp cell can turn into a firecracker in a hurry if the worst happens.

Battery chemistry FINALLY explained

Popular INR 18650 models:

• Samsung 25R
  • Sony VTC4
  • Sony VTC5
  • LG HE2

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    View attachment 801145 View attachment 801147 Hi Again

i am really enjoying all the feed back thus far and great fromly apprciate it all, well i recieved the battiers from my ebay purchase and immedatly pluged them into my charge last night. after a couple of hours they were fully charged so i took them out and placed them on my counter last night. when i woke uo this morning i wanted to see if how much life they had left only to find out they were drained. is this normal ? or did i get the wrong ones? after leving them charged again it only took 20 minutes for them to be fully charged. ami reading this thing wrong or are the batteries jaced up and should i get new ones from another surce.
    view below pics.
    View attachment 801143
    The VC4 is showing they are very close to full.
    After charging it's normal to drop voltage slightly after resting the batteries.
    Bet it wouldn't take long on the charger to bring them back up to 4.2v.
    As said best not to buy batteries from Amazon or Ebay...

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Thou shalt not buy batteries from Ebay is actually one of the "missing" commandments, and God may smite you.

Not kidding, that Old Testament God is pretty unforgiving. Jesus is not coming to save you either. He strongly disapproves of buying batteries from ebay, it's kind of like overturning the money-lender tables in the market, is what ebay for batteries is like.

Anna

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Advice on batteries is absolutely correct.
    The rule of thumb back when the only mods were those you made yourself, was never buy the batteries from an auction site

Never buy batteries with ''fire" in the name.

Always check the latest forum posts.

Aside from safety, which is the most important point, they will always outlast the cheap ones to the point they will cost you less both in risk and money.

• Agree

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    ok ok i will go to the vape store down the block and get new ones, it was only $20 bucks for the ones i bought on ebay. live and learn, thanks again everyone i will post more updates as i progress.

The vape shop down the block might not be any better when it comes to authentic name brand cells / batteries.

Some reading ---> Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
    Best to pick cells that Mooch recommends tempered by your specific use, then only buy from trusted reputable sources.

I buy all my cells from ---> Batteries and Chargers

Last edited:

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    I will use a vape shop if necessary, but Typically I use RS or Farnell for my 18650 batteries.

Now our supplies department get me my 18350s from one of the industrial suppliers we use.

All of them are 9001 companies, all of them supply the aerospace industries and they are reputable suppliers.

mione

Mar 1, 2019
    well i just ordered four new batteries from Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery | INR18650-30Q and should have them this week. i really want to thank everyone with assisting me.

question i keep seeing folks post pictures and videos of testing there coils on an ohm meter to show its working. but what is a good range as i see some post 0.50 all the way up to 1.2. i guess what i am asking is what is the safe zone? i know 0 is bad LOL

• Optimistic

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    well i just ordered four new batteries from Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery | INR18650-30Q and should have them this week. i really want to thank everyone with assisting me.

question i keep seeing folks post pictures and videos of testing there coils on an ohm meter to show its working. but what is a good range as i see some post 0.50 all the way up to 1.2. i guess what i am asking is what is the safe zone? i know 0 is bad LOL

A good Ω range is whatever works best for your individual preference and is within the CDR of the cell you're using.

Never exceed the CDR of any cell.
    Best to leave a margin for safety below the CDR, especially when just starting/unfamiliar with mechanicals & RBA's.
    Always measure resistance & check for shorts before placing/using on the mechanical.

4.2v /.3Ω = 14a
    4.2v / .5Ω = 8.4a
    4.2v / 1.2Ω = 3.5a

Safety is all up to you.
    The only safety feature a mechanical has is the one between the users ears.
    Your knowledge & understanding of what makes for a good vape and what makes for a dangerous situation, and what to do to eliminate dangers.

Not trying to be rude, just from a question like this it appears you haven't done any research on the beginning basics of battery selection and safety and the basics of using a mechanical safely.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread